Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

front axle settigns (camber, castor, toe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: front axle settigns (camber, castor, toe)

sorry for not having replied earlier...the car is into storage and I drive it rather seldom.

actually, after a weekend at the Nürburgring, the car is now in my garage for a few days.

so i checked visually the castor....looks as its not very much, compared to my seven-ish cars.

also checked for castor setting:

the eyelets are flush with the chassis..so i cannot add , nor remove washers from front or back...means i need to set castor by srewing the eyelets.

i think i´m now on the right way....result will take time, as i will put the car back into storage soon, concentrating on improving my seven, first.

Comment

not much news until now....but i made an appointment for 2moro at my local tyre fitter for a wheel-alignment check...means i will get the actual values (toe, camber, castor) within 2moro afternoon...

today i worked a bit on the car and another question came up:

are the upper wishbones symetric or not...on my sevenish cars they are asymetric, pointing a bit to the back of the car.
      Last edited by Sportster-Green; 08-09-14, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportster-Green View Post
        not much news until now....but i made an appointment for 2moro at my local tyre fitter for a wheel-alignment check...means i will get the actual values (toe, camber, castor) within 2moro afternoon...

today i worked a bit on the car and another question came up:

are the upper wishbones symetric or not...on my sevenish cars they are asymetric, pointing a bit to the back of the car.
        On the BMW e30 based cars, the front wishbones are asymmetric and, as one builder found out, can easily be fitted the wrong way round.

I'm not sure about the Ford based cars or your car which I think was a bit of a special design. I guess you'll have to have a look?

Comment

mine is ford based..and i think , comparing fotos of my wishbones to the other ford based marlins which i found on the web, they look "standard".

anyway...yesterday i took of the nearside upper wishbone....

on 1st view it looked symetric...on 2nd view it looked slightly asymetric.

i hold it on top of the offside wishbone and i thought again it "could" be asymetric

so i re-fitted it the other way round to see if there is any noticable change in castor...not really.....

but what i recognized is the following:

"visually checking" the nearside has definately less castor than the offside.

what i also recognized: when you screw in or out the wishbone eylets for changing castor setting, the centre holes of the eylets arent in alignment anymore with the axis of the wishbone pivot. using a soft rubber bush may compensate it, but with a rigid ploybush this doesnt work. i think this eylet thing works as long as you dont need to change the settings to rather unusual values? but in my case this doesnt work anymore? maybe my chassis is slightly out at front?

or am i wrong?

changing the eylets to uniball / rod end bearings might be a sloution...but here comes the next question:

or the threads metric? eyelet to whisbone i have measured 16mm, pivot 10mm
          Last edited by Sportster-Green; 09-09-14, 08:36 AM.

Comment

here the actual settings...(we did not change any of the values it was only an actual-value acquisition )

as reference car we used a 2WD Sierra Cossi
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sportster-Green; 09-09-14, 02:53 PM.

Comment

next update:

as explained above, yesterday i inverted the nearside upper wishbone.

the way to the wheel alignment centre was the first test-drive ...and hey the car was totally different:

less nervous & compared to b4: considerably less bump-steer. generelly the car felt like the complete suspension was more soft and precise even on uneven roads.

Comment

Working...
              X