Engine removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine removal

I want to remove the 1800TC engine from my SWB Roadster.
    Which is best way - lift up through front after removing bonnet or drop to ground and lift car over ?
    I've got a crane so either method can be used but it'd be interesting to learn what others have found is the easier option.

Thanks.

Paul H

Re: Engine removal

I usually find lowering engine & raising car the easiest option, especially when doing it single-handed.
    It's also possible to do it that way without a crane...though does require a bit of ingenuity & improvisation shuffling trolley jacks around.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Having tried both I would strongly suggest lowering onto the ground and then lifting the front of the car with the engine crane and dragging the power unit out. The most awkward bit I have found is the rear engine mounting. I have taken the engine out without the gearbox but ended up taking the gearbox out as I couldn't manage to mate the box with the engine in the car. Once again getting the H- shaped rear engine mounting was very fiddly and took 2 of us nearly 2 hours last time. I'm thinking of re-designing it.
      SO the process is:
      1 Disconnect everything especially the battery.
      2. Remove the bonnet and nose
      3. Remove the radiator
      4. Remove manifolds and Carburetors
      5. Disconnect and support the propshaft
      6. Remove the gear lever and plug the hole
      7. If you can remove the clutch slave cylinder, put a rubber band around it to stop it exploding. You may need to disconnect it to get it off.
      8. Take the weight of the engine on the crane
      9. Remove the 6 bolts and nuts holding the H-shaped mounting, also the nut holding it onto the gear box. Knock the H-shaped mounting out downwards.
      10. Remove the front engine mountings completely
      11. Lower the gearbox a bit to access the speedometer cable mounting and release the cable
      12. Lower the power unit onto the ground, it will need a bit of tilting side to side to get the engine mounting plates past their equivalents on the chassis.
      13. Raise the front of the car high enough to drag the power unit out. I have a steel platform with wheels which helps.

Replacement is just the reverse. Simple really Good luck

Comment

Thanks - lower to the ground it the way I'll go

Comment

you know these things always come too late! I am just in the process of removing the engine to free off the stuck clutch and thought I would get it out easily - after all compared with my other YKC Romero which has a 2.0 dohc in it there looks to be loads of room! So I disconnected everything as advised to remove the engine only. I also took off the mounting plates which connect to the mounting rubbers. I can just pull the engine forwards enough to disengage the gearbox but the nose of the water pump is touching the steering rack.
          I will try lifting the car a little to see if I can get it past it then will pull the lump from underneath.
          I realised however that the gbox and engine will be buggers to mate once in the car as there is so little room so will take the box out separately - wish I had done that with the engine now.

Comment

Try doing it with a six cylinder. One thing to remember is that the gear box will try to fall over even if it is supported underneath.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

sounds like me after a glass or two of plonk!

Comment

Working...
              X