X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• type 9 gearbox and marina back axle

Hi Folks,

Generic opening paragraph!
    I've spent the last day having a look at my roadster and am gearing myself up to get started with a few of the int ital jobs. In my build thread I've said there are a number of different jobs to tackle and am going to split my questions out into separate threads so that future people searching for similar answers to my questions wont have to trawl through pages of my guff and badly taken pictures. So apologies if i spawn a lot of threads in the next day or two but i have a number of things burbling in my head at the moment and want to ask a lot of questions.
    mods - if you want to merge/move/delete threads no probs.

So lets be about it.

This thread is about type 9 gearboxes and marina back axles.

I'm planning on getting a new prop made up at at http://www.northwestpropshafts.com/
    This is what i inherited from Eddie the previous owner. apologies for (lack of)quality
    2014411123221.jpg2014411154431.jpg2014411154442.jpg

Question 1. Is there any point in even keeping a hold of it? I 'think' its from when there was a marina engine in the roadster.

Question 2. measuring up for a new shaft. any tips, beyond measure it 9 times?

Question 3. I've never dealt with a propshaft in my life before. Anything I should be wary of.

roo

Re: type 9 gearbox and marina back axle

I would definitely advise getting one made for the relatively low cost and safety factor. The new one will be made with the correct flanges and possible a sliding spline so that a little movement is taken into account. Phone around and see what you think, I phoned four or five people before I found someone who knew exactly what I wanted to do and built in for £150.

Comment

Dave Mac propshafts in Coventry always gets good reviews.
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
        I would definitely advise getting one made for the relatively low cost and safety factor. The new one will be made with the correct flanges and possible a sliding spline so that a little movement is taken into account. Phone around and see what you think, I phoned four or five people before I found someone who knew exactly what I wanted to do and built in for £150.
        seems like good advice there. Last thing i want is a prop bouncing down the M62

Comment

They could use the back half of your existing and graft a ford front end to it but probably wouldn't be any cheaper unless you find a ford front end.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

The Marina axle uses the same UJ pitch bolts as a Triumph. Measure with someone in the car as the prop will sit almost horizontal, it's shortest length.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by rooha View Post
              seems like good advice there. Last thing i want is a prop bouncing down the M62
              I got my Type 9/Marina done here, less than £100 if I remember right.

Comment

I got mine done at http://www.northwestpropshafts.com/ at the back end of last week.
                It cost £120 including VAT. there was another customer in the office so I didn't want to raise the question of a cash price with the fella. Looks good and they even primed it for me! they managed to salvage/re-use the marina back but the rest is all new. they were also really good at discussing the most appropriate length, and well, their advice was bang on. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of it for the record books.

they actually did the job in one day which was great as i had a few appointments just round the corner from their workshop so I didn't even have to go out of my way.

Comment

here we go ... £120. the bin and the pressure washer were free. the box on the left is a load of paint i got as i have a quite nice compressor and whatnot tucked away for when its time to do some painting.
                  2014508135711.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                    The Marina axle uses the same UJ pitch bolts as a Triumph. Measure with someone in the car as the prop will sit almost horizontal, it's shortest length.
                    Good tip.
                    My problem would be finding somebody as heavy / obese / fat as me - maybe I should just plonk a spare engine or a few bags of cement in the footwell Actually reminds me about my first car - a Reliant Regal Supervan III bought off a mate. He had rolled it over so kept a massive rock from his parents garden in the passenger footwell which made getting a lift from him interesting. BTW I never managed to roll it over but lifted one rear wheel off the ground many times when turning too fast.

Paul H

Comment

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
                      Good tip.
                      My problem would be finding somebody as heavy / obese / fat as me - maybe I should just plonk a spare engine or a few bags of cement in the footwell Actually reminds me about my first car - a Reliant Regal Supervan III bought off a mate. He had rolled it over so kept a massive rock from his parents garden in the passenger footwell which made getting a lift from him interesting. BTW I never managed to roll it over but lifted one rear wheel off the ground many times when turning too fast.

Paul H
                      Not a problem for me but I was surprised at how high the prop actually runs in the transmission tunnel.
                      There must be a little difference with different donor car springs, there are quite a choice of part numbers each with very slightly different rates. I tend to able rather stiff rear suspension with a complete set of super flex at the rear and a set of adjustable shock absorbers.
                      Obviously if you remove the lowering blocks, to raise the car, then the rear axle will be located effectively lower than the gearbox tail shaft.
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                        Not a problem for me but I was surprised at how high the prop actually runs in the transmission tunnel.
                        There must be a little difference with different donor car springs, there are quite a choice of part numbers each with very slightly different rates. I tend to able rather stiff rear suspension with a complete set of super flex at the rear and a set of adjustable shock absorbers.
                        Obviously if you remove the lowering blocks, to raise the car, then the rear axle will be located effectively lower than the gearbox tail shaft.
                        Mine has two leaf springs so are probably the soft option. Shocks are new so I'm reluctant to change them but will got for adjustable at a later date when I'd got it on the road. In fact coil over shocks might be a way of me stiffening rear without buying new leaf springs. Still mentally debating whether to go with Volvo 340 De Dion setup with fixed diff (Sierra, Freelander or MX5) so prop fixed and I can make tunnel even closer to shaft. Obviously prop guards would be incorporated "just in case".

Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X