Well I didn't expect that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well I didn't expect that...

I can certainly recommend fitting rose jointed tie rods. My Roadster used to wander a bit under heavy braking (not that I did that often!) but since modifying the tie rods it now brakes in a fairly straight line. I know some owners have used the length adjustment capability to pull the bottom of the strut forward slightly to increase the castor angle and improve the steering self centring but I chose not to do this as, in theory, there is no adjustment without putting some strain on the various components.

Comment

@Jon
      Good to know I'm not alone in my thinking..!
      Dispensing with the 2nd joint & retaining/threading the existing fork-end of the tie-rod gives some leeway on turnbuckle sizing especially as I'm reluctant to go below 1/2" rod-end.
      Having being bitten by defective tie-rods twice I'm somewhat wary of underspeccing things..!
      @Grum
      You need more power
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi Jez,
        Just referring back to the original post on this thread.....
        Do you think the tie rod actually pulled through the bush under braking forces?? Would it be possible that is was the act of hitting the kerb that caused the failure and the lack of steering was due to something else? Had you hit a large (or several smaller) pot holes recently? I am just a bit concerned that this could happen under relatively normal braking conditions that's all. I have been to check mine since seeing this and can see a slight deformation in the large washer. Could this be due to over tightening the nut??
        Do you have Poly bushes fitted and if so could it be due to their hardness putting too much force on the washer/nut combination where the original softer rubber ones took some of the forces away?
        Maybe our ever deteriorating roads are to blame and we should all be more vigilant with our checks.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Jon
          Yes - the rod pulled the nut & deformed washer right through the polybush. I suspect slight deformation caused the steering issue and the impact pulled the rod through.
          No significant pot hole encounters recently and it all happened at low-speed, so I'm going to assume age-related deterioration. The washers are the original donor items, so 90k+ miles & 40 years old.
          I'm just fitting some stronger items at the moment pending a more thorough upgrade...but definitely something to check more often.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Working...
          X