Marina 1.8tc clutch lever position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina 1.8tc clutch lever position

What I can read in to this is that there is wear on the clutch & flywheel and the operating lever at the pivot and the thrust bearing fork end. When your clutch wears the clutch pressure plate fingers rise and then the clutch lever is giving a bigger gap at the slave cylinder rod, that's why I commented on making a larger rod to take up the slack between to slave cylinder and the clutch fork. (as long as your master and slave cylinders are operating ok). Then the only way to make a proper fix is to replace the worn parts at a cost of ?.

Comment

I would not have thought the clutch lever would bend easily. A longer clutch rod, might allow additional pressure/movement, when it is not necessary.
      refurb clutch slave cylinders are available on eBay or through FastMarina.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Not wishing to be alarmist, but when you first found out that the fork was not positioned on the ball stud, is there any chance that the whole thrust bearing may of rotated and that the fingers on the fork no longer locate in the correct position on the thrust bearing. Also is it the original ford clutch fork you are using, back in the day they were known for the pressed steel fork to distort and were commonly changed when replacing a clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by phil.coyle View Post
          Also is it the original ford clutch fork you are using, back in the day they were known for the pressed steel fork to distort and were commonly changed when replacing a clutch.
          The pics I posted were of a marina bell house and marina clutch. There just happens to be a Ford gearbox attached, but otherwise its all Marina.
          It is possible that the clutch arm has jumped out of position, but its quite a way to move and IMHO would be obviously incorrect and very loose.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Sorry I haven't posted over the weekend, we were away in the Lakes. Sadly, without the Marlin. Anyway the great news is that it's done - tonight I have replaced the flexi pipe I had fitted and used some with a hard wall that obviously doesn't 'give' when the clutch is pressed and it works beautifully. Incidentally, you can buy the flexi pipe fitted to the short lengths of steel pipe each end c/w fittings for the master and slave cylinder ends for £25 on ebay. I didn't actually need to buy it but I would have if I couldn't get a seal on the ends of my flexi pipe.

So, good news that the clutch itself still has life in it and a lesson learned. The clutch lever arm had just jumped off its pivot when I released the pressure on the slave cylinder and the spring clip on the back must be broken and not doing it's job. The photos posted here helped me to locate the arm properly and then I retraced my steps with the pipe.

Thanks so much for all the help an suggestions.
            Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

That's good news, and one more problem solved. Don't forget to put it your notebook for future reference.
              Just looked outside and it's raining, anyone want to solve this problem!
              Phil

Comment

Did you take any photos of the incorrectly positioned clutch arm?
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Sorry, no stills. To be honest it would be difficult to see a significant difference. It was close but not quite on the pivot. I took a short video with my phone when I was studying what was happening -

Marina 1.8tc clutch lever - insufficient travel due to incorrectly positioned lever and flexible pipe with too much give.

Looking at that again I notice how much flex there is in the bulkhead. Next job perhaps. I will start by searching this brilliant forum. You can also see the pipe I originally fitted flexing when the pedal is pressed.

Basically, the lever was slightly forward of the correct position and pushed into the bellhousing by perhaps 8mm more than it should have been. The shift was enough to change the leverage characteristics sufficiently to prevent full movement.

The photos that Steve, and others, posted above showed that the clutch lever should sit pretty much in the centre of the bellhousing aperture (front to back) and, once I realised that, I could then set mine back on its pivot by feel. Initially, I wasn't sure whether the lever needed to be more towards the front of the aperture to allow a fuller movement backwards which is why I asked for photos. That's inexperience for you. However, I am now an 'expert' on this subject and I am glad that I persevered!
                  Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

A few pics of a rather tatty, but original condition clutch lever and its relative position with the pivot pin, and thrust bearing carrier.

4473237976_bd25216545_d.jpg

4472462957_e69a0a5c9b_d.jpg

4472470179_23148561a5_d.jpg

Assembled, in relative positions. The arm could be pushed in too far, but I would expect the pivot retaining spring to stop the movement before total disaster and everything falling into the bell housing. Even without the retaining spring, the pivot recess in the arm should be enough to locate it, but obviously not, with current experience.
                    4499669822_30e00584cf_d.jpg

Note: the thrust bearing carrier is different overall length between the 1.3 and 1.8/1.7 cars, the dimple at the lower rim of the carrier is deliberate to stop it from spinning on the gearbox input shaft sleeve that is unlubricated, the downside is that the lever pins eventually wear two similar dimples on the ring opposite.
                    4472467449_a28204653b_d.jpg
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Addendum to the above.
                      Some people struggle to remove the slave cylinder as ideally you need to operate the clutch by a means other than the hydraulics. Various methods have been tried some more successful than others. The 'correct' way is to use the Special tool.
                      Attached Files
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Simon, If the bulkhead is flexing when pressing the clutch it is probably doing it even more when you stand on the brakes. On the Marina/Ital Marlin there was an updated mod that Marlin Engineering produced that triangulates the bulkhead to the side panel. Tech tips page 1
                        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Re previous post a drawing I hope
                          Attached Files
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Steve - thanks for the extra photos. I suspect my clip is broken but I could feel the pivot drop into the recess on the lever once I was in the right area. I tried looking with a borrowed boroscope but it was too awkward to get it in the right place due to the bulkhead overhang. The slave cylinder spring pressure should hold the lever in place I hope.

Ben- that looks simple enough, thanks. I will have a little looky at that job tonight. Mind you, perhaps I'm better leaving it alone with my recent record. I have the Tech Tips.

Comment

Had a quick look at the possibility of strengthening the bulkhead last night. There's not much room for a triangular bracket when there is a servo fitted as there is on mine. Need to weigh up options from underneath, first thought being to take an angle iron bracket from below the servo and pick up on the front chassis where the horn is bolted on. Will post results.

Comment

I thought the bulkhead would be ok if a servo was fitted as the pressure is partially removed and put into the servo mountings?

Comment

Working...
                                X