Marina 1.8tc clutch lever position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina 1.8tc clutch lever position

It's surprising how much flex in the bulkhead there is, even with a servo.
    I fitted the factory modification albeit with servo in place it didn't go where Marlin intended it to.
    Like Sidon suggested I piggybacked the chassis rail & underneath the servo.
    Never did understand why Marlin recommended bracing it on the ally bonnet side when the chassis rail offered a much stronger locating point.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Just picked this picture from the FastMarina forum. It's a Marina clutch arm where the pivot pin has burst, or worn through the arm itself. Nobody has seen this failure mode before. Obviously the arm had to be replaced.

Here or there
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Interesting. I had problems with my clutch release arm last year when it slipped off the pivot pin and I was grateful for help from Steve and others in getting it back in the correct position. My retaining spring must be broken so when slave cylinder pressure is removed, the arm can slip off it's pivot. I thought at the time that the metal felt a little 'thin' at the pivot point.

I plan to remove the engine from mine this Winter in order to change the camshaft (a previous owner was too ambitious with the cam that is fitted), clean up the engine bay and detail the engine, but I will change the clutch whilst it is out and have a closer look at the clutch arm. Another problem with mine is that I get a temporary grinding noise when the clutch is depressed when cold. I think it may be the spigot bearing spinning in the end of the crankshaft that tightens up once it gets a bit of heat into it. What do you think?
        Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

That arm is the same as Triumph Vitesse and GT6 and is known for cracking across the dimple, some repair by welding not sure of availability of replacemets. Further research look up Landrover V8 heavy duty arm(similar design)and it shows an extra plate welded over the dimple. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVE...YILWhllEWbR-Vg Needs a good dollop of copperslip or similar.

Si your grinding noise is more likely to be the release bearing rumbling.
          Last edited by b_caswell; 22-10-15, 02:37 PM.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
            That arm is the same as Triumph Vitesse and GT6 and is known for cracking across the dimple, some repair by welding not sure of availability of replacemets. Further research look up Landrover V8 heavy duty arm(similar design)and it shows an extra plate welded over the dimple. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVE...YILWhllEWbR-Vg Needs a good dollop of copperslip or similar.

Si your grinding noise is more likely to be the release bearing rumbling.

This is an old post I resurrected as it has photos etc. already there. When I try to cross reference the Marina, Vitesse and GT6 I get different part numbers, they may be similar but not quite the same.
            It's the failure mode that is odd. I have never seen it on a Marina before, so I thought it would be of interest over and above the cracking problem that has been mentioned before. Replacements are the proverbial rocking horse sh!t.
            Welding a cracked arm in unlikely to be as strong as the original due to fatigue, but plating over the dimple might save some work in the future.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks Ben. I will know for sure once it is stripped. Will post results. I'm off work next week so plan to have a few runs out, then tackle the jobs over the following few weeks.
              Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Working...
              X