Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Propshaft

Hi everyone,

Just wanting some advice before I start messing with the propshaft.
    On the way back from Stoneleigh the car started vibrating under load and making some horrible noises and it looks like the front universal joint on the propshaft is gone.
    Anyone got any helpful tips for replacing the bearing, it's a circlip type and I've seen one on eBay item code 370185569101
    which appears to be the correct type.
    It's a long time since I've done one of these and would appreciate some tips,

Cheers,

Gareth.

Re: Roadster Propshaft

Have you read the workshop manual?
    It makes it sound so easy.

If its been there for 40+ years its bound to be tough.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

It does make it sound so easy, that's what I was worried about!!!

Comment

In the past I did a lot of Triumph and Jaguar ones and my advice is unless you have a very large strong vice or a hydraulic press to forget it and give it to a propshaft company to do. In the kit car magazines there are several advertising or look on the internet for one near you.

Comment

Originally posted by velovol View Post
          In the past I did a lot of Triumph and Jaguar ones and my advice is unless you have a very large strong vice or a hydraulic press to forget it and give it to a propshaft company to do. In the kit car magazines there are several advertising or look on the internet for one near you.
          Pretty much the same as rear half shaft hubs and bearings. Sometimes possible with home garage equipment, but occasionally the need for a 20tonne + hydraulic press is the only way.
          After 40+ years things get very stuck in place.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I broke a 3" Draper vice doing (Hillman Imp) UJ's. To be fair I did have a length of pipe over the handle to add more force
            Now I've got a proper press and a lot easier.
            I always worry about a needle roller not staying in it's place, despite loads of grease, when pressing so always do it very carefully as once many years ago I had a loose needle punch a hole through the cup thus ruining the new joint kit.

Paul H

Comment

Just a comment, not"Gospel" just my own experience, I have changed the 4 UJ's on my Triumph based Roadster and have had a couple of cups rotating in the yoke after a few miles. I was told I should have used a drop of bearing lock, or there are different thickness circlips to use [I have never seen these advertised anywhere!!!!]. The other thought is that if using the UJ's with grease nipples, some people say the nipples should be removed and a blank fitted as the nipples catch on the yoke. I endorse other replies that a strong large vice is needed. David.

Comment

I used to do triumph prop UJs quite often back in teh day - just using a big bench vice etc. But, as Steve says, 40+ years can make things a bit cantankerous. I guess if they dont come out you can always pop the whole thing to your local garage. Give it a go - not much to lose.

Comment

If you are doing it yourself the best u/j to use is one for the Landrover Freelander as they are heavy duty. My vice has a label saying "unbreakable" !!
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                    If you are doing it yourself the best u/j to use is one for the Landrover Freelander as they are heavy duty. My vice has a label saying "unbreakable" !!
                    Just ensure it any Freelander part doesn't come in a blue box and marked BRITPART !

Paul H

Comment

Working...
                    X