Exhaust Experts Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Experts Needed

In an earlier post I reported the fitting of a new 4 fabricated exhaust manifold to the Pinto engine in my Cabrio becuase the old one cracked. The crack was in part caused by the rest of the exhaust being solid (no flexi in the pipe and there is no room with current configuration to fit one easily).

Given above and the exhaust note sounding like an asthmatic, coal miner on 50 a day (no offence to any of them) I have decided to replace the system with a custon job from Powerflow exhausts (in Redhill). Its currently a single box with no CAT and single tailpipe. So plan to change to single box still no cat but double tailpipe (and a flexi near manifold).

I just wanted a santity check from the collective wisdom if there is anything I should watch out for or tell the fitter when I show up for fitting.

Re: Exhaust Experts Needed

Just how noisey you want it.

Comment

Just normal exhaust level, but something that has a bit more tone and character - the flexi issue is the real problem, the exhaust note is just an opporunity.

Comment

I have heard of these guys and there good. I would driven by their experience.

Good Luck

Let us know how you get on.

Adrian

Comment

I have a 2" side-exit Powerflow system...it's bloody loud when you open the taps.
          I even went back & got them to add a small extra box just to tone it down a bit...at least with a cabrio you'll have a rear exit so the noise is behind you..!
          Quite honestly it's still too loud - I could forgive it if it were a little more mellifluous, but it isn't.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

My local Powerflow guy is John Paradine, who was unsuccessful with a very expensive kit car in the 1980s

He made this up for the Hunter (2300 Ford DOHC) in a couple of hours, just noisy enough !

Rgds DC
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the input - I obviously need a full an clear discussion on the noise levels with them before they start.

A fellow cabrio owner I hooked up with some time back (sorry name escapes me he is in the club) had done his own modifiaction he had taken a single tail pipe and made it a twin with a small secondary box on each tail - not sure of the system make though but sound was just right.

Comment

Hi Alan

The flexi is an excellent idea, but be careful of what you wish for regarding noise.

Straight through absorbtion type boxes do not remove much noise.
                Large diameter tailpipes act like mini megaphones.
                I made my own Cabrio system from proprietary parts :
                2 into 1 then, 1 into 2 around the diff, into two straight through 2" back boxes with 2 1/2" tailpipes - throaty, but too loud on a long journey.

Mike

Originally posted by Alan.c View Post
                In an earlier post I reported the fitting of a new 4 fabricated exhaust manifold to the Pinto engine in my Cabrio becuase the old one cracked. The crack was in part caused by the rest of the exhaust being solid (no flexi in the pipe and there is no room with current configuration to fit one easily).

Given above and the exhaust note sounding like an asthmatic, coal miner on 50 a day (no offence to any of them) I have decided to replace the system with a custon job from Powerflow exhausts (in Redhill). Its currently a single box with no CAT and single tailpipe. So plan to change to single box still no cat but double tailpipe (and a flexi near manifold).

I just wanted a santity check from the collective wisdom if there is anything I should watch out for or tell the fitter when I show up for fitting.

Comment

Message fully received on noise I want sedate and stately but enough to hear the engine note.

I think I am guilty of poor research - when I contact this company and booked car in for custom exhaust all I wanted was a regular stst exhaust system with flexi. I since discoverd they are a provider of powerflow systems and I dont know if the do "regular stst" and Powerflow systems. I need to re-check what they think is being fitted.

Comment

Last edited by CABRIOBOB; 22-05-14, 08:15 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X