• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not so much a rebuild as an engine swap

Didn't Bryan Newell do a Zetec conversion on his Cabrio

Comment

Hi Dogon
      I do have one but did not do the conversion, It came via Danny already done and is a cracker, as such I have had to do little on it myself so not that informed
      Chris
      You are more than welcome to come and have a look if you wish, I have a Pit so you can get a look from all angles!
      Regards
      Bryan
      Stapley Bryan

Comment

Or you could both come to the SW Meet next Sunday 4th Dec and compare notes . It's at the Haynes Motor Museum, Sparkford. It's at their Breakfast meet at 9.00am so plenty of time for more fettling when you get home! Peter.

Comment

Hi Pete
          Nice idea but i'll be in Austria on Sunday
          Stapley Bryan

Comment

Or you could both come to the SW Meet next Sunday 4th Dec and compare notes . It's at the Haynes Motor Museum, Sparkford. It's at their Breakfast meet at 9.00am so plenty of time for more fettling when you get home! Peter
            Crikey, that's a long trip from Wincanton! Good chance I'll be there.

Just ordered a pivot pin and release bearing from Kit Spares, so I'll have plenty of things to play with.
            Made up some brackets to relocate the coil pack yesterday.

Comment

When Dean was making the engine brackets we worked out that the gap between the clutch release bearing and clutch cover was 50mm to large. So I ordered and received a new clutch arm piviot pin and MT75 relase bearing from Kit Spares. Haynes makes no mention of the pivot pin, and the new one didn't seem to have any fixings. Oh well lets just press on and see what is what. It turns out the clutch piviot pin is an interference fit in the gearbox casing. It is always under pressure and should never fall out.
              Its a bit of a so-and-so to remove with the gearbox in place. My next door neighbour found it amusing to see me sitting on the floor in the engine bay. With a crowbar and a bit of tapping the old on popped out and the new one was drifted in. See photo below, which also shows new and old release bearings, which are near as dammit identical.
              IMG_0508.JPG

after that I'm now 30mm short of having a working clutch. Plan was to use the old DOCH pressure plate, but its the wrong diameter so I need to do a bit more of an internet search.
              I also fitted the coil pack, but I need to get a longer plug led for cylinder no.4.

And finally I swapped the fuel pressure regulator and return pipe from the front of the engine to the rear.
              Last edited by chris_cussen; 11-12-16, 03:22 PM.

Comment

When fitting Millie’s Zetec I wish I had gone that extra mile, well actually extra couple of millimetres, when setting up the clutch. Millie’s clutch is ok but towards the end of the clutch pedal travel. If I am a bit lazy with my left foot I can find it hard to engage the gear. I expect you already know the clutch release bearing from a Capri is thicker (not by much). That is a type 9 gearbox so may not be interchangeable.
                Paul
                Attached Files
                Last edited by milliemarlin; 12-12-16, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that Paul.

The extra thickness of 20mm is what I need. I've done a trawl on the internet and it seems like the Capri release bearing is the way to go, however there seems to be some confusion over the part number, which is given variously as QH CCT132 or CCT133. I have failed to find any dimensions on the internet, so may either order one and hope or visit my local motor factors and see what they have in their QH catalog.

Chris

Comment

Next step install the modified water rail. Omex blanked off the two holes at the end and tapped holes for the two temperature sensors. Only charged me £5 altogether for post and packing. That was a bargin as it cost me £10 to send it to them.
                    IMG_0512s.jpg

I've also re-located the coil pack

IMG_0513s.jpg

I had to buy some exhaust manifold studs, but they were marginally too long so the rest of the afternoon was spent shortening them by 10mm.

Tomorrows plan: clutch release bearing. I finally ordered one from Burton Power, part number ECB110
                    Last edited by chris_cussen; 22-12-16, 05:26 PM. Reason: Two bottles of Grolsch makes you type go strnge!

Comment

Its a bodge!
                      The Capri clutch release bearing has wider shoulders than the Sierria one, so I had to shave some material off each side to get it to fit into the release arm.
                      Problem is that although it is supposed float sideways the clips to retain it are too big, so it will not fit with them in place. I think the purpose of the clips is to make sure that if the release arm gets pushed back (for instance if the cluch cable breaks) the bearing does not fall out of the arm.
                      Anyway this is my huge bodge to stop the bearing falling out of the arm.
                      IMG_0514.JPG
                      It is only 2 deg C in my garage so that is all for today!

Comment

So I spent a happy time making a hole in the exhaust maniford for the lambda sensor. Here is the boss welded in place
                        IMG_0515.JPG
                        Next job was to try to work out how to plumb in the water system. Quite a few niggles, like the inlet and outlet on the engine were on the same side, and the radiator was a cross flow. Some pipes were differnt sizes at either end. So I started with a box of bits
                        IMG_0518.JPG
                        And after a while I seemd to have a hose connected to all the holes. So this is the result:
                        IMG_0519.JPG
                        The acid test will be when I finally fire up the engine and see if I have any leaks and the engine remains cool.
                        Next task is wiring.

Comment

Hi Cameron,
                          I like this air take installation with the idle control valve on the offside.
                          In picture one it shows an air filter attached to the throttle body, do you know where I can get one? also the manifold attached to the idle control valve - was it hand made?
                          Stewart

Comment

Hi Stewart,
                            Before I gave up on using the DOHC injection engine I 'copied' Cameron's idle valve arrangement and made a bespoke fitting using some metal plate and a bit of steel tube. I got my little air filter from here http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/air...clearance.html

Chris

Comment

Well after two months of putting off going into a cold garage I started on the wiring. First job was the alternator. Turned out to be more epic than I imagined. Omex had provided an alternator and mounting bracket, which I must say seem to be nicely engineered and look very substantial. But there is hardly any clearance between the inlet manifold and the back of the alternator. So I had to remove it and one of the bolts was tricky to get to

IMG_0558.JPG

Next up was to wire up afew odds and ends like the fan, which is controlled by the ECU, Water temperature gauge and oil pressure switch. So now just about ready to connect up the ECU and wiring loom.

IMG_0559.JPG
                              Omex EUC and loom.

I think there is going to be a lot of surplus wire, but I won't try shortening it until I get the engine running.
                              Last edited by chris_cussen; 12-03-17, 04:16 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Success!
                                Today tried to start the engine for the first time. Fired up immediately but was a bit lumpy. Probably because most of the fuel is three years old although I did add a gallon of fresh to the small amount in the tank.

Air filter etc.
                                IMG_0793.JPG

ECU, wiring is a mess but the plan was to get it started first...
                                IMG_0794.JPG

And the exhaust side
                                IMG_0795.JPG

A minor fuel leak to sort out then off to get a new exhaust system with a CAT as I had to bodge the old system to meet the manifold. New cat is required as it is a new engine and the emissions are not listed on my V5. Following the MOT emissions flowchart seems to indicate a CAT is required, it is a bit of a nightmare as the age related number plate makes it seem to be 1990, but date of first registration on the V5 is 2009 and you can go down many differnt paths.
                                Last edited by chris_cussen; 19-06-17, 09:15 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                                X