Marlins and the IVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins and the IVA

Am looking for a Marlin and there seem to be a few for sale 'not registered'. How difficult is it to get through the IVA..

Am an experienced mechanic from Formula 3 racing to classic cars..

Re: Marlins and the IVA

Hi

Ok lets be honest no one to my knowledge has done it at present.

That’s not to say it cant be done, there are people in the club who say it would not be worth the time and money.

It really depends on the individual, first get a copy of the IVA rules and look at it in a methodical way, this is where it will either make or break you.

Everything is possible.

If you think of it this way, the Sportster is only an evolution of the Roadster.

A good start would be to look at using Cycle wings as this will cut down a lot of work right from the start.

Hope you will continue in your quest and you get a Roadster through the IVA, it will certainly push others to do so.

One thing I can guarantee is you will get copious amounts of help from the members.

Good luck.

Adrian

Comment

There may be a lot of unregistered cars available, but in the bigger picture thare are many registered cars available at comparatively low prices. You would have to do the same restoration work on both so the final investment would be comparative, without the IVA.
      With the complication of the IVA, with changing rules, the playing field can only get steeper. What if pedestrian safety was updated, over and above the radiusing af sharp edges, to include body slope and impact resistant bumpers, the classic upright radiator alone, would have to go, radically alternating the vehicles fundamental shape and design.

Having said that, it's not a total impossibility even if in my opinion the risks are high. Anything is possible with deep enough pockets, a thorough understanding of the rules and time.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The final decision must be yours but consider the following. A mk1, mk2 roadster which is properly reg can be bought from anything between £1500 and £3000, dependant on condition, spec etc. A Berlinetta which is reg on the road can be bought from £2500 to £3500. again dependant on condition spec etc. I know of several builders who have failed the IVA test on both these models and have ended up with (garden ornaments) So considering the price of a fully reg car not worth the risk. My personal opinion these models for sale should be viewed as spare parts only. The Cabrio, and the Sportster (which is built on the Cabrio chassis with a few tweaks) will go through the current IVA test. So if one of these was available part finished and the sums add up okay, then maybe.

Comment

Thanks for all the effort guys, knew that you helpful bunch would put me right..Looks like a its a registered car then, have put out a few feelers at ones for sale.. Wish I could have my Alfa engined one back !!!!!
          Its a shame about the IVA as there is a new kit on a rolling chassis not far from me for £400
          and a Berlinetta almost road worthy but no reg as I can see for £1250 on ebay too.
          When I built my marlin, its was registered on the Alfa reg number and came back as '2 seater sports car'.
          Know a bunch of hot rod guys who used to use the same Ford Pop to get there MOT for there cars, just changed the number plate and chassis plate !!!

Comment

If you are still unsure whats involved here is a bit of light reading http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/Reso...anual%20v4.pdf
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              There may be a lot of unregistered cars available, but in the bigger picture thare are many registered cars available at comparatively low prices. You would have to do the same restoration work on both so the final investment would be comparative, without the IVA.
              This is sound advice:
              - Buy a correctly registered Marlin, and you are free to restore it at your leisure............

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              With the complication of the IVA, with changing rules, the playing field can only get steeper. What if pedestrian safety was updated, over and above the radiusing af sharp edges, to include body slope and impact resistant bumpers, the classic upright radiator alone, would have to go, radically alternating the vehicles fundamental shape and design.
              Unfortunately this is not:
              - It is baseless alarmist supposition, - I wish members would not write in these terms: it is simply not helpful.

The IVA rules do change periodically - they have been stable for the past 5 years - but even when there is change there is a long consultation period between VOSA and the kit car industry before changes are made, and often the implementation dates are deferred more than once to allow current builders to complete their cars before the new rules take effect.
              To start "what if"-ing about what may lie ahead demonstates a paucity of knowledge of VOSA's current thinking and direction and does not justify scaremongering.

It really is time we had some solid facts set out in an advisory thread on this subject, probably model by model.

Perhaps the Technical Reps are a good starting point - I know Danny Nelson has some very good constructive views regarding the Berlinetta. Similarly Ben Caswell with the early Roadsters.

From my own experience, I have recently taken an 8 year old Cabrio kit through IVA with relative ease, and I know of at least 3 others who have achieved the same with earlier model variants.

So, it can be done, and with the minimum of fuss in some cases.

The old adage still holds true........."where there is a will, there is a way"

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                If you are still unsure whats involved here is a bit of light reading http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/Reso...anual%20v4.pdf
                Even Total Kit Car can't keep up with the changes.
                The version they have shared is Version 5 from 24/05/2010.
                The current version is Version 9 from 17/6/2013
                By that reconing there is yet another version in the pipeline.

One of the many changes, however slight, between the versions, is section 16, Exterior Projections.

What changes are made in the future years, may not i themselves be dramatic, but slight changes in wording can have a big impact.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I tend to agree with Mike that some of the views here are a bit alarmist. VOSA may amend IVA but so far have given a reasonable lead time to any radical changes and a grace period for builders to implement them.

I have the very first Cabrio to go through IVA after a 7 year build. The majority of failures were radius issues on the wings, exposed front suspension components and the interior heater assembly. U section rubber strip, nut covers and a bit of filing solved most of those problems.

If anyone decided to try to get an older Marlin through IVA I'd recommend going through the manual page by page. I foresee problems with window glass, radii, two speed wipers and possibly wheel arches covering the correct arc, but none of these should be insurmountable if you are determined.

However another issue to consider is IVA cost £450, with a £90 retest fee, so bear this in mind when pricing the cost of a part built car against buying one that is registered.

Comment

I have been building my Romero for more years than i care to admit and have always kept up to date with the sva/iva stuff. The kit was designed to pass SVA in the first place so its much easier than a roadster in that respect. The changes that have been made have been fairly trivial and not too onerous to implement - making sure brake pipes are clipped at reduced distances for example. major things were the change of windscreen glass to have the E43R mark on rathre than the BS kitemark but there is lots of hearsay and rumour and thats the biggest problem. For example the cars don't have to have daytime running lights or an alarm system. I think there is little chance of geting a roadster through without some heavy mods but some of the cars are quite feasible. If like me, you are a tinkerer and prefer the time spent int eh garage to the time spent driving (I know... Im strange) then you can buy anything you like and get a huge amount of pleasure from it.

Comment

When I was at the Exeter Kit Car Show last year, about 4 different people spoke to me saying they had Marlin Kits at home that had never been built. One chap was even advertising his for sale on a notice on his back. I seem to remember hearing a member of the Marlin Club had bought it. What he is doing with it, I have yet to find out. David.

Comment

It must be very hard to have bought a car Kit spent loads of time and money on it over years only to find that you cannot register it...
                        As I said, a brand new rolling roadster kit for £400 on Ebay - a track day car is about all you can do with it it seems...
                        I once saw a 1940 Ford pickup in a garden in the USA as a garden decoration - it did look good with all flowers growing out of it...

Comment

Seems the Berlinetta for sale on ebay has the V5 from the Cortina only so looks like another non road car ???

Comment

Working...
                          X