Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering fix + questions questions.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering fix + questions questions.......

I recently got my Roadster - the steering felt wrong when going onto more than slight lock, traced it to the fact that it had two right hand steering arms fitted giving it very odd geometry when not going straight ahead. Fortunately managed to pick some suspension spares advertised on the for sale section and swapped out the front left suspension as a unit - huge improvement and greatly increased clearance between the track rod end and the tyre! What toe in / out works best?
    Next job - fit new hood nabbed from ebay.......
    Has anyone fitted MGF alloys (185 width) to a Marina based Roadster? - I have MGF Steels fitted at present

Re: Steering fix + questions questions.......

Workshop manual says 1/16th of an inch toe in.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hiya

I must admit I had mine set at nuatral, stopped the tram lining when in the slow lane of a motorway.

Worked for me.

Adrian

Comment

The biggest single improvement you can make is to fit Superflex tie bar bushes. They make a dramatic difference when under braking, and hold the castor angle. They will have a small impact on the toe in, but will generally tighten up the front end.
        in fact I would go as far as to say that Superflex bushes everywhere will improve things.

As for MGF alloys, there is lots to read on this forum, but on paper you would need 20mm spacers to account for the difference on offset between a standard MGF alloy and a standard Marina wheel.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I have Superflex bushes ready to fit, just need to replace existing bars - threads rusted away and will have to be cut off. Will get new ones made if necessary.....

Comment

Earlparts may be able to help.

Adrian

Comment

Alternatively make a set of rose jointed adjustable ones. That way you can control the castor angle.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
              X