Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tax exempt

1. #11 Re: Tax exempt 
    frequent forum contributor
    I took a Japanese import bike and documents to Shrewsbury DVLA and was told that a Q reg would be issued despite everything I said. The bike and documents then went to Manchester office who issued an age related. Only difference was the offices - all the documents etc were exactly they same which shows even when there were local DVLA offices you could get different treatment so hopefully now everything is dealt with by Swansea there should be more consistency but that probably won't be the case. Personally I prefer to deal with people "face to face" but that option has now been taken away from us.

Paul h

2. #12 Re: Tax exempt 
    regular forum contributor mark kessell's Avatar
    Hi all,

just to let you know that I did send my paperwork back to dvla at Swansea with a covering letter explaining when I built and registered the car in 1988 that it didn't get a a q plate as it used the donar car with a new body, ( well almost correct) and as the date first reg was sept 73 could I apply for historic tax while putting on my cherish plate

i just had the replacement v5 through and it's all been done, so well worth a try if you are thinking of this...

3. #13 Re: Tax exempt 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark kessell View Post
    Hi all,

just to let you know that I did send my paperwork back to dvla at Swansea with a covering letter explaining when I built and registered the car in 1988 that it didn't get a a q plate as it used the donar car with a new body, ( well almost correct) and as the date first reg was sept 73 could I apply for historic tax while putting on my cherish plate

i just had the replacement v5 through and it's all been done, so well worth a try if you are thinking of this...
    Which Chassis Number is on the replacement V5, the Marlin or the Marina? Presumably it must be the Marlin, otherwise the MOT would be technically impossible as both must match.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

4. #14 Re: Tax exempt 
    What paperwork did you have?

5. #15 Re: Tax exempt 
    regular forum contributor mark kessell's Avatar
    Hi, yes have the right chassis number on the v5, ie the marlin one, and the paperwork I sent off was v5 , MOt and a covering letter explaining how I thought my car should qualify, as several other marlin owners, according to the owners club had had there's swapped over, make sure you take copies tho, and sent recorded delivery to dvla , best of luck...

6. #16 Re: Tax exempt 
    I was given a Q plate which like many others I didn't question at the time so my v5 just shows the build date as the first registration so I think I'm out of luck.

7. #17 Re: Tax exempt 
    frequent forum contributor
    Hi Andy, when I bought Ruby my roadster it was on a Q. All I did was to make a comprehensive list of all the original donor car parts were used on the build,( I even went as far as bulbs, headlamp units ect). I also was lucky enough to have photos of the donor showing the redg number before stripping and when stripped. Took a while but patience paid off as they sent me a new age related number (To the donor), M.O.T. and V5 stating Marlin Roadster as make and model I must be honest I didnt hassle them too much but it was worth the wait. P.M. me and let me know where you are, my daughter lives in Fleet and i am up that way regularly, be nice to chat and swop notes in the White Lion maybe. Cheers Chris

8. #18 Re: Tax exempt 
    club member Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    It would seem they have used the old points system that allowed 5 points for the chassis or sub frames(not on the Marlin) , suspension 2, Axles 2, Transmission 2, Steering assembly 2, and the engine 1 point, All from the one donor. If you scored 8 or more you could keep the donor plate or an age related to it plate. My hybrid could only muster 7 points.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

9. #19 Re: Tax exempt 
    I'd only be able to a score 6 because the engine and gearbox came from a different donor.