Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax exempt

Hi, can anyone advise how you get your car to qualify
    I have a mk2 roadster , which used a sept 73 marina as donar car, but on my logbook it's says built in 1988, which was when i put mine on the road. I have recently retaxed it , thinking it might now be exempt only to find I still had to pay, any ideas please

Re: Tax exempt

I dont think you can do it if the year of registration on the V5 is later than the 1st jan 1974.
    The process is that you first get your log book amended to show that the vehicle is historic - not plg then you can get free tax. I was in a rush to get mine taxed and motd this year and didnt see that it hadnt been changed to historic so I had to pay the tax - I then sent the log book off to get it changed to the correct taxation class and claimed a refund of the duty I had paid so it didnt cost me to much in the end and I now now its historic from now on therefore free

PS Do not under any circumstance scan of your V5 and publish it on the web

Comment

If your V5 says the car was built in 1988 surely it wont have been first registered earlier. ............Either way its the date the vehicle was made that counts........https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-car-tax.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I understand that once a car is given a Q plate, the date of the donor is irrelevant, it's the date of first registration.
        if you have a car on its donor registration, then you may get away with it.
        either way, you will need the registration and chassis number of the donor, and that may not be available.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I have recently sold my 1972 Austin Sprite. I did consider using it to build an Arkley type car (replacement front and rear section) but DVLA said whilst it would remain as a 1972 on the V5 it would probably be issued with a new age related number plus would loose the road tax exemption !

Paul H

Comment

there is no consistency is there? My own is based on a 73 marina and got to keep the reg and registration date hence free tax - its not often I get lucky - although getting the bugger to run nicely is giving me a headache.

Comment

It's not consistency but down to the original builders using a particular identifiable vehicle and meeting the requirements at time of registration. No one back in the mid 80's expected the road fund licence to be proportionately so high, or to exempt some from tax, so builders were quite happy to accept a Q plate.

lucky you might be, but thank the original builder.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Speaking to Derek Giles a couple of years ago, the person who built my Roadster back in 1981, he said that if he had pushed hard enough at the time it would have been "Tax Exempt", unfortunately the Tax is £140 now. David.

Comment

Hi
                  thanks for your message, my car was built by myself in the 1988, I used a sept 1973 marina with its oringal numberon it first , which was oax 552m, not a Q plate, it's does show on my log book that it was registered first in sept 1973, but also says it was rebuilt in 1988 using new parts, so I am not sure, I think I will have to look into changing it to historic

Comment

One thing I did after putting my Roadster back on the road was to visit my local DVLA office (do they still exist) with every piece of documentation I could find.
                    Talking to Swansea had been a waste of time, the car had not been SORN when it was taken off the road, SORN did not exist at that time, so they had not sent out any tax reminders, but they still wanted to charge me back tax.
                    Talking to a real face for about two minutes, resulted in a tax disc in my hand.
                    Very different experiences for what was the same request.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I took a Japanese import bike and documents to Shrewsbury DVLA and was told that a Q reg would be issued despite everything I said. The bike and documents then went to Manchester office who issued an age related. Only difference was the offices - all the documents etc were exactly they same which shows even when there were local DVLA offices you could get different treatment so hopefully now everything is dealt with by Swansea there should be more consistency but that probably won't be the case. Personally I prefer to deal with people "face to face" but that option has now been taken away from us.

Paul h

Comment

Hi all,

just to let you know that I did send my paperwork back to dvla at Swansea with a covering letter explaining when I built and registered the car in 1988 that it didn't get a a q plate as it used the donar car with a new body, ( well almost correct) and as the date first reg was sept 73 could I apply for historic tax while putting on my cherish plate

i just had the replacement v5 through and it's all been done, so well worth a try if you are thinking of this...

Comment

Originally posted by mark kessell View Post
                          Hi all,

just to let you know that I did send my paperwork back to dvla at Swansea with a covering letter explaining when I built and registered the car in 1988 that it didn't get a a q plate as it used the donar car with a new body, ( well almost correct) and as the date first reg was sept 73 could I apply for historic tax while putting on my cherish plate

i just had the replacement v5 through and it's all been done, so well worth a try if you are thinking of this...
                          Which Chassis Number is on the replacement V5, the Marlin or the Marina? Presumably it must be the Marlin, otherwise the MOT would be technically impossible as both must match.
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

What paperwork did you have?
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi, yes have the right chassis number on the v5, ie the marlin one, and the paperwork I sent off was v5 , MOt and a covering letter explaining how I thought my car should qualify, as several other marlin owners, according to the owners club had had there's swapped over, make sure you take copies tho, and sent recorded delivery to dvla , best of luck...

Comment

Working...
                              X