B Series v A Series engine & gearbox weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B Series v A Series engine & gearbox weights

I've just removed the Marina 1800TC engine & gearbox from my Roadster. Whilst it was out the weight was checked - 196kg. I then weighed the intended engine and box (1275 Sprite) - 134kg.
    Both engines and boxes were similar spec - no manifolds, no carbs, no alternator, no fuel pump but gearbox mounts (Marlin on 1800 and Sprite on 1275)
    At a later date I'll check manifold weight but even without checking it's obviously the cast iron 1800 item is very heavy compared to the cast iron 1275 manifold. I intend using a Mini LCB tubular exhaust which is feather light

So whilst not 100% guaranteed accurate my scale attached to the engine crane shows the B Series with Marina gearbox is just over 60kg heavier than a Spridget A Series with matching gearbox.

Paul H

Re: B Series v A Series engine & gearbox weights

Whilst the 1.8 and 1.3 use the same bellhouse and basic gearbox, there may be very small differences in gearbox weight, due to different ratios, and clutch weight, again very small.
    The weight of the ancillaries, whether single or twin carb etc etc will also have an impact.
    60kg sounds about right for the difference between the two.
    interesting info.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Re: B Series v A Series engine & gearbox weights

My 1275 A Series has an alloy Spridget gearbox so I reckon will be substantially lighter than the cast iron B Series item fitted behind both the Marina B & A Series engines. You can pick up an A Series gearbox from a Midget, Sprite, Minor, A40 & A35 with one hand Bet you can't do that with a Marina gearbox unless you have had plenty of spinach first. I don't really want to separate the engines and gearboxes to check but suspect / guess the difference between the actual engines will probably be nearer to 50kg.

Comment

Working...
      X