R380 Clutch lever travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R380 Clutch lever travel?

Does anyone have a V8 in their Cabrio with a R380 gearbox?

I need to know what total travel is for the tip of the release lever where the slave cylinder push rod fits, so if someone has this gearbox I would appreciate it if they can check this for me.

Although it seems that the L/R discovery master cylinder is 3/4" bore (like I suspect my cylinder is - Girling .75A on the casting), what I don't know is how similar to the L/R the Cabrio pedal-centre-to-push-rod dimensions are or how the effective pedal lengths compare. Hence my request.

If the Cabrio geometry means that the full stroke of the master cylinder is not used it may account for the tendency to snick the gears which has always been there. I know that the R380 box is notoriously notchy but wondered of I could go up to 7/8" bore during the swap to get the correct slave travel, assuming mine is too small. What I don't want to do is over stretch the clutch mechanism. An increase the clutch pedal load, which is already fairly heavy, although not desirable would be tolerated if it means clean gear changes in future. Peter.

Re: R380 Clutch lever travel?

Ooooooops! Previous car (Sierra) on the brain! The R380 release lever is all inside the bellhousing so measurement not possible . Doh! Peter.

Comment

When I had my clutch trouble on FMB the only way I overcame it was to add a washer underneath the pivot bolt, it made the pin stick out more.
      Also the clutch release bearing I got form Rimmers was wrong. So I refitted the original one.
      Derek

Comment

Originally posted by djj_engineer View Post
        When I had my clutch trouble on FMB the only way I overcame it was to add a washer underneath the pivot bolt, it made the pin stick out more.
        Also the clutch release bearing I got form Rimmers was wrong. So I refitted the original one.
        Derek
        Hi Derek. Do you mean that you put the washer between the piston and push rod, i.e. in the cylinder under the circlip?

What symptoms did this cure? Was it incomplete clutch disengagement or something else? Peter.

Comment

Working...
        X