Time to rebuild the Marlin Roadster LWB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to rebuild the Marlin Roadster LWB

My Marlin has been in storage for 3 years and time has come to start the refresh and rebuild. So in preparation we went to the storage unit to try starting her......after a new battery, electronic ignition module, coil, dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads she fired into life. Next weekend is the recovery back home. In the mean time it's spares buying and hunting.

Background:
    The marlin roadster lwb was built by me and my step father 26 years ago then sold around 15 years ago. Tracked down around 3 years ago and bought back by myself. The car is ford rosso red and running a stage 2 mini sport prepared ford 1.6 crossflow mated to type 9 5 speed box in the marina base kit.

Current condition: mechanically good (the odd age relayed leak and rubber bush perishing) electrically everything still works fine, interior is still very good as is the engine cover, surrounds and inner wings. Outer wings have stress cracking and dash/rear tub/doors need repainting. Most chrome parts will be refurbished or replaced. Brakes are fine but wheels will be redone or replaced (contemplating 15" minilite solvers with polished rims). Nose cone has some stress cracking and will need a little work. Chassis is in near perfect condition.

Modifications being considered are
    1) wheel change - considering 15" minilite style with polished rim but not sure
    2) considering whether to paint doors, window frame and engine side panels in silver
    3) if not 2) above then just the window frame silver
    4) refitting 2 front spotlights
    Attached Files

Re: Time to rebuild the Marlin Roadster LWB

Picked up from storage today....
    Attached Files

Comment

Car now back home in the garage - two more new things arrived this weekend - compressor and assorted air tools (drill, belt linisher and DA 6" sander)....but by far the most useful is the car lft - 2.7 tonne capacity (barely notices a Marlin). I can achieve 54" ground clearance with the limitation of the roof trusses but the lift can be moved outside (very very heavy) to achieve walk under ground clearance. The Engineer in me wondered about the overall stability - but now installed and tested I have no concerns.
      Attached Files

Comment

I want one of those lifts
        great car - what are your plans next?

Comment

Where can I get one?

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
            Where can I get one?
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Initial plans are to remove all external trim, replace wings, treat some stress cracking and gel coat issues. Wheels will either be redone or replaced. Underside checked over and some minor refreshing. Then the big jub is a full external repair. Eventually I'll refresh some of the engine bay and get a new full exhaust system made. So nothing major :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                Where can I get one?
                Hi Alan
                Take a look at www.automotechservices.co.uk they have many different types of car lift devices.
                Not to far away either
                Dave

Comment

Progress today: removed interior trim, tonneau, luggage rack, spare wheel and mount, hood frame, aerial, trim parts, hood fasteners, door catch plates, 1 seat....next job is lighting, mounts then wings.

Off to Donnington show next weekend, hoping to pick up a few parts.
                  Attached Files

Comment

No photo updates but have been out getting parts. now have a bedroom full of new trim, switches, chrome parts, spotlights, steering wheel, indicators, side lights, number plate parts, bonnet catches, tenax clips, wiper jets, mechanical spares such as steering donut, brakes, goodridge hose kit, caliper service kits, spax shock absorbers.....the list goes on and on.

This afternoons job is cleaning all the carpets with the vax.....only because the 'car-smell' has been noted by the wife as being quite strong in the dining room ...........having been married for some years (and value it) I take this to mean, get rid of the smell or get rid of the parts.....

Comment

Interior all nice and clean.....lasted well given its 26 years old...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Been busy getting new parts of late. Off on holiday tomorrow but recommence the bodywork and new wing fitting on return.

Comment

Continued the stripping of ancillaries, fitted on new wing and started removing some of the bad paint at the rear. First trip out for the compressor, air drill and air da sander too.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Completed the final fit of the left hand wing today, removed right hand wing, sanded the dash top panel and the leading edge of the rear clamshell.

Comment

Back in the garage tomorrow to final fit the right wing and finish some more sanding. Been up to Rochdale today to pick up a set of 5 14" kn diamond alloys supplied by YKC but pretty much unused - great buy and saved paying for restoring the existing kn diamonds.

Need to finish prep for next weekend as the car is heading for the body shop on the 31st.....

Rand seat company yesterday - 2 brand new seats will be finished in a few weeks in grey vinyl and red piping.

Spare bedroom is pretty full of new parts in boxes to go on after rebuild.

Busy few months coming up

Comment

Working...
                              X