No announcement yet.

Garage Queens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Garage Queens !!! A pain in the Butt!!

Its a fine line to tread isnt it. Once you start doing one thing you always find something else you can improve on. I have come to the conclusion that although my cars will always be far removed from concours I would rather fiddle with them than actually drive them! Not your typical Marlin owner but hey, we are a broad church

Comment

An interesting topic which highlights why we have a Marlin, each to use as they see fit, some people enjoy working on their cars, some using them for "special occasions", some all the year round. I travelled over 3,000 miles in mine last year, summer and winter, without a hood and only broke down once [ tooth broke off in diff]. This year Judy and I have been to several local shows,[another one on Sunday at Mark], mine still wants work done, new seats, inside trim replaced etc, but one day---------. Where ever we go it seems to be a talking point, some owners enjoy talking to people, I am one of them and I enjoy allowing children to have their picture taken in mine, always telling their parents that not all owners want inquisitive fingers in their cars. David.

Comment

Re: Garage Queens !!!

Fiddling with the car, now thats probably the whole point of a kit car, its never finished.There is always another job to do or a mod to carry out.
        Last edited by Motormouse_67; 17-08-14, 07:14 PM.

Comment

I have had the same issue with mine from lack of use. It has only done 3000 miles since it was first registered so an average of 400 miles a year. Everything had decided to stop working or leak. Carburetor, ignition, valves, brakes but like someone said that is what owning a kit car is all about. I wanted a project and that is exactly what I got. A car in great condition but still keeps me busy.

Comment

To me it would be like buying a handmade Italian suit or a pair of custom made shoes and never wearing them. Would you buy a new house and never live in it?
            Sorry but I'm not waiting for that 'perfect' day, I may not live that long!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
              To me it would be like buying a handmade Italian suit or a pair of custom made shoes and never wearing them. Would you buy a new house and never live in it?
              Sorry but I'm not waiting for that 'perfect' day, I may not live that long!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a little mischievous, Alan - didn't you polish your Cabrio specially before bringing it to Stoneleigh this year,
              "just in the hope that you might carry off a prize" ?

.................to be fair, your car always looks good, AND it gets driven regularly.

Regarding the clothes analagy.........isn't that what women do......????
              When my mother died she had a wardrobe of clothes my father swore he had never seen her wear!!

Comment

trouble is...when I say fixing I usually mean breaking! Don't fix it till its broke? I'm more of a fix till it breaks bloke.

Comment

Hi Mike
                  Mischievous - me, heaven forbid.
                  As I recall I didn't polish the car before Stoneleigh though I may have washed it and probably hoovered out the dog hairs!
                  I just cannot be 'precious' about it otherwise I would never have entertained putting a dirty stinking Spaniel in the car after a day's shoot . I enjoy driving the beastie, occasionally fettling it and the company of other Marlin owners. I think it's a shame that any vehicle is locked away in private collections/museums/etc. , but if that gives the owners pleasure then so be it, but it's not for me.
                  Off to Tatton tomorrow, again with Meg the Springer riding shotgun in the back so will look like the car has been used as a kennel for the past week!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                    trouble is...when I say fixing I usually mean breaking! Don't fix it till its broke? I'm more of a fix till it breaks bloke.
                    I'm with you on that Cameron.
                    I am "An improver" - I like to improve whats there and working already.

The process for me is ususally:

I research what I want to do
                    I estimate a time to do it
                    I take it apart to understand how it works
                    I usually break something in the process!
                    I spend three times as long as I should bringing it back to its original condition - often having to source a replacement part

I then start again, this time knowing what I'm doing

I then complete the job, having taken 4 times as long as I expected

...............but its all part of the learning process, which is part of the fun of it all!

........and the budget?

- as a canny Scotsman told me - "Yer pay fer yer lernin', lad, yer pay fer yer lernin' .............!"

Comment

Re: reflectors now fitted

image.jpgI sorted the reflectors out today SVC supplied reflectors with built in Led light.Quite small but fit the spot just right .I wired them in to the number plate lights so extra side lights as a bonus.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Motormouse_67; 17-08-14, 07:16 PM.

Comment

New wheel centres fitted .image.jpg

Comment

image.jpgNew number plate too ,it was on a car that came in part exchange so a freeby. Not the best with CAK in it but hay ho better than the one that was on it.

Comment

Working...
                          X