Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just a couple of questions

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Do Marina based Roadsters use a rack extension block like the Triumph based kits used to ?
    Marina Racks are a drop in fit, no extenders, just as standard fitted on the car.

The rods threaded ends are rolled, meaning that the shaft is actually a smaller diameter than the overall thread diameter. (as you can see in the pics below) It would not be safe to try to extend the thread further along the rod end as the thread would not have a full profile, so I think extenders are not an option.
    Best to check that the rack is in fact centred correctly, something that is frequently missed.

These are pics of the two ends of a Mk2 Rack. Has anyone similar pics of a Mk1 Rack for comparison?

Free end.jpgPinion end.jpg
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Steve
      You are assuming the track rod ends are all the same length as originals.
      I have no idea whether modern pattern parts are identical, but suspect some at least may not be?

It makes perfect sense to add an extension bar if the rack is not long enough, just as was done on the Triumph Roadsters: there is plenty of thread on the rack to add an extension bar onto. All that is then required is to re-centre the rack to apportion the additional overall rack width evenly to each side.

Comment

With no information to the contrary, it is fair to understand that standard Marina pattern parts are fitted. The rack in the above photos was a BL original, at least that is what the original packaging said.

Before we set off on any side tracks as what may or may not be fitted, its best to check that the rack is in fact centred correctly, something that is frequently missed.

Without that information everything else is supposition!
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

From my own observation, if you use the hole in the rack to centre it then as it fits in the car it will lead to one trackrod end being only a few threads on and the other well on when the wheels are tracked. I overcame this by fitting each end on by the same amount and adjusting equally to get the tracking right.
          It means the lock in one direction is about half a turn more than the other but still more than enough and is not noticable in use.
          It would appear therefor that the chassis mountings are not true to the centre of the car, probably to accommodate the servo etc.

Comment

The hybrid Mk2 Marlin(with the Marina rear axle) is 2 inches wider in the chassis than the donor Triumph so the left hand track rod has a 2inch extension provided by Marlin. I found that by screwing this on as far as it would go and then controlling the toe with the right hand side to try a equal out the geometry of the steering joints and reduce the bump steer caused. The problem on the Triumph set up is you cant move the rack because the column goes through the suspension tower. With Twissy's problem its always possible the track rod ends arnt the correct ones and they are too short.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.
              The lock to lock is equal with two complete turns of the wheel each way. Finally get some time off tomorrow so I will see how many threads are on the nearside end.

Comment

From memory I centered my rack by putting a pin (drill bit) in the centering hole which seemed to work ok. Can't be sure without taking it apart but I reckon I have about 10mm of thread length in each track rod end with a further 5 or so in the lock nut. No idea what length of rack is fitted as I didn't realise there was a small difference between the Marina and Ital until Ben pointed it out. Is it possible that the threaded portion of the track rod end varies in length depending upon the manufacturer?

Comment

It might be worth checking the steering arms are fitted on the correct sides, mine were not and resulted in the same issue of only a few turns holding the track rod ends. The Steering arms should point slightly inwards towards the rear of the car, some are marked LH and RH .......

Comment

Hi Steve

My Account appears to have been blocked on your Keep and Share Site.

Please can you sort it for me.

Many thanks.

Adrian

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                    These two pages from the workshop manual show how to centre the rack. Two and a half turns on a tie rod are certainly on the dodgy side. I would be looking at 3/4 of the thread diameter in thread engagement minimum, both sides should be the same. The complete section of the workshop manual is here

[ATTACH]5294[/ATTACH][ATTACH]5295[/ATTACH]

So far as the trunnions go, regular greasing will help, but its worth a stripdown and examination along with a good clean of all the grease passages. You dont want to pump dirty grease that could be 10 years old into the threads.
                    Once the uprights have corroded trunnion threads, there are two remedies, replace the uprights or fit self cutting Walford trunnions, if you can find some.

On my car I felt the filler was too low and petrol did leak from the flip top cap. I tried new OEM seals but even then with a full tank, fuel still slopped out. I ended up fitting a longer fuel hose and raising the filler much higher. Problem solved, it also saved my back, leaning down to fill the tank.

Comment

Posted this earlier but never appeared?

Measured the threads on the nearside and there was the same amount....21/2-3 turns!!!! At least the rack is central I suppose.

As far as I'm aware the track rods should be as close to parallel to the road as possible. Not on this one....hopefully you can see from the pic. If they were level I guess that the rod ends would need to be screwed on further. Any thoughts guys?

Does anyone know if there is a longer compatible end?

DSC_0202.jpg

Comment

A quick update: I've just noticed that the steering arm appears to be bent as the TRE rubber is only about 1mm from the tyre. Time to check Earlpart.

Comment

See Charles44 post it may be the arms are on the wrong side, it looks like it may be from your picture.
                          Last edited by b_caswell; 18-08-14, 10:30 PM.

Comment

They don't look very cranked in these pics
                            steering arm 2.jpgsteering arm.jpg
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Well perhaps there are two versions!! that would explain the different rack lengths Charles44's original post seems to indicate handed arms..Quote.."I recently got my Roadster - the steering felt wrong when going onto more than slight lock, traced it to the fact that it had two right hand steering arms fitted giving it very odd geometry when not going straight ahead. Fortunately managed to pick some suspension spares advertised on the for sale section and swapped out the front left suspension as a unit - huge improvement and greatly increased clearance between the track rod end and the tyre! What toe in / out works best?".. unquote.... The angle of the steering joint point in relation to the axis of the upright affects the Ackerman effect. Another discussion point has it got the correct application TRE http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/f...?m-1312276724/..
                              Last edited by b_caswell; 18-08-14, 11:33 PM.

Comment

After Charlie's post I had a look, and the one in question at the time was marked RH. As both are now in question I've had a look at the other but there are no markings. I have just ordered a RH one off fleabay for £15.
                                I think the car has been lowered at the front which would account for the angle of the rods.

Comment

Working...
                                X