Front shock absorbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front shock absorbers

Hi this is going to sound stupid to most of you here but I have purchased a swb roadster (Marina based, MGB engine) that needs new front shocks, that's the telescopic damper, and the tie bar bushes are shot. My question is what vehicle are the shocks from and does anyone know where I can get new bushes? I'm all Ebayed out now without any luck!

Thanks
    Pete

Re: Front shock absorbers

The front shocks are Triumph Herald rears, you can get Spax adjustables.

I would thoroughly recommend using Superflex.co.uk for replacement bushes for both front and rear suspension.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

yes superflex (or similar) for tie bars - about £25 though
      Although if you are good on a lathe you can buy the poly material in a bar and cut it to size - much cheaper and you have enough spare to make several more sets

Comment

I have just looked at the Superflex site.

The most commonly needed are from here
        Not every bush is appropriate to a Marina based Roadster

SF234-0669K Front Tie Bar 12mm ID Bush Kit Price (Ex VAT): £16.50
        As Cameron describes these can be DIY made

SF234-1865KSS Front Eye Bolt Kit Price (Ex VAT): £21.25
        These are for where the Lower arm meets the chassis. A complete strip down of the suspension is needed, but if you are doing Tie Rods and Shocks, you are more than half way there.

NOTE: The Superflex shock absorber bushes listed for the front of a Marina are not appropriate for a Roadster as they do not use either the Marina Lever Arm or the Ital Front shock system.
        In theory,the Herald Rear shock absorber bushes
        SF375-0718-80A-4K Rear Shock Absorber Kit, non Rotoflex Price (Ex VAT):£21.00 Should fit when used on the front of a Roadster But check before you buy.

SF234-0293KSS Front of Rear Leaf Spring Kit Price (Ex VAT): £38.00
        The front and rear of the leaf springs use the same bushes,

SF234-2211-24-4K Rear Leaf Spring Rear Shackle Bush Kit Price (Ex VAT): £14.50

SF234-1979K Rear Leaf Spring Saddle Pad Kit Price (Ex VAT): £58.50

SF374-0941K Rack Mount Kit, Manual Steering *revised, improved fit Aug 2012 for a Mk 1 Marina Price (Ex VAT): £12.50
        Superflex now list
        SF234-0394K Rack Mount Kit, Manual Steering for a Mk 2 Marina

Ccheck the bore of your existing bushes before ordering.

When fitting new bushes, always replace both sides at the same time. In theory Superflex supply with this in mind, so check quantities before you get carried away with your order.

Last edited by stevejgreen; 28-05-15, 03:36 PM.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you very very much for the information!

Comment

Steve, I just looked at your "keep and share" Fantastic information, just what I was looking for! Thank you for making such an effort to share it, It has and will be immense help to me and others trying to revive old Marlins.

Comment

Cameron, the last time I used a Lathe was at school in 1971 to make a fruit bowl Haaa! reckon I'll have to pay top dollar but it's worth thinking of learnng again! Thank you for the reply!

Comment

Working...
              X