Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop shaft flange bolts

evening,

I guess the title says it all except that the diff is marina based. I'm lacking the requisite nuts and bolts and not sure if there is a specific set I should be looking for.

I bit of a search around and i suspect that the ones for a landrover might be just the thing... such as http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Propshafts.html

(who wants to take bets that stevej knows the exact ones required without even having to think about it ?)

roo

Re: prop shaft flange bolts

You should be able to get them from a Triumph supplier same as for a Vitesse Mk2 they are 3/8 inch UNF X 1 inch bolt and use a half (short) nyloc nut. Tighten to 30 ft/lb. Make sure they are bolts (with the blank shaft) and not set screws.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Ben is pretty much on the money. They must be High Tensile bolts.
      Didn't you keep the old bolts and nuts for comparison?
      Part numbers from Marina bolt 144961, and nut 53K1663 both are available from RimmerBros. Though they do offer alternatives.
      The thing to watch for is that the bolts must miss the UJ grease nipple, if you have that type fitted.

http://kvisit.com/Sita-Aw and http://kvisit.com/Sl9e-Aw will probably help.
      Last edited by stevejgreen; 27-08-14, 08:11 AM. Reason: Links added

Comment

On one Land Rover I bought I found allen bolts used for the prop shafts. They are high tensile and a lot easier to access than hex heads. Whilst I've still got the original BL bolts for my project I wouldn't hesitate using allens if needed and even M10 Metric could be used !

Comment

I had a few quiet moment so thought I would chip in (appoligies if granny and eggs come to mind).

Be sure you use a bolt as defined below and the plain part has the diameter that fits the hole (as well as being tensile etc etc). If you use fully threaded set screw then it will will not locate the prop and the the effective diameter will be reduced to that of the root diameter of the thread at the shear point. the thread will also act as a stress raiser further weakening it. If you switch from imperial to metric size you should consdier above.

Also nuts and bolts have codes on the top which define some of their properties you should look at that (you can use info on www. to decode) if not buying genuine specific replacements

Comment

thank you gents.

steve - when i got the car the original marina engine as stripped out and replaced with a pinto so the prop was off and needed to be remade for a type 9 box. So never had bolts to compare to unfortunately. As i stripped everything down I've amassed a collection of various ones that i bagged and tagged but lord knows I'll probably be posting variations on this thread for years to come. (i notice no-one took up my bet that you'd know the exact ones, although you'll have to split the internet points with ben!)

alan - I am a mechanical buffoon so feel free to teach me to suck eggs anytime. altough I'd prefer milanese chicken if its all the same.

right, I'm off to the internet to order a screw. oo-eerr missus

Comment

Working...
            X