This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Noakes

I need to replace the handbrake cables on my Julietta. Can anyone tell what the part id is please

Re: Andrew Noakes

It is not uncommon for some MOT mechanics to assume that handbrake cables are at fault, when in fact it is the auto adjuster mechanism in a Sierra brake calipers that has in fact seized.
    finding genuinely stretched handbrake cables is relatively rare unless the regular drivers right arm is like a gorillas.
    I would suggest looking at the calipers first, before spending money on custom brake cables that are possibly perfectly OK, And will not cure the alleged fault.
    Others will of course disagree.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Are you on rear drums or discs Andrew?

Comment

I have a YKC Roadster (donor Sierra GLS) which I think the Julietta is based on. If it is the same and you have rear disk brakes then the part no is Unipart GVC 2256 and you may also need the short connector cable that goes between the bottom of the handbrake and the handbrake cable proper (Unipart GVC 2235) It is about 6" long with 90deg. offset clevis receptors and you will have to saw off the nylon block that is glued in the middle. If you have rear drum brakes then at least the part number above should help your supplier identify it as I am guessing the codes will be close to each other in the parts catalog Good luck

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply. In fact the cable is frayed and needs replacing. Happily the MOT garage has sourced the correct part

Comment

Thank you for your quick response. The car has rear Sierra drums but I think Keithh has come up with the pat numbers I need.

Comment

Thank you for that helpful information. We are investigating now and I will let you know how we get on

Comment

Ahh my experience was based on Sierra rear disks. The handbrake mechanism is quite clever but not many people know how it is supposed to auto adjust as few strip the calipers all the way down to its component parts.
                pleased you are getting it sorted.
                having part numbers is becoming essential. As many parts departments are now fully computerised the people behind the keyboards have limited knowledge and star with the question "what's the registration number please"
                i remember being in a ford dealer asking for a speedo drive gear for a type 9 gearbox. I might as well have been speaking Spanish.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thank you for the info. Although I have rear drum brakes your description of GVC 2235 was exactly the part I needed and I am now MOT,d and on the road.

Comment

Working...
                  X