Started to Restore My Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started to Restore My Roadster

After 18 years of sitting in the garage I've finally got round to restoring the roadster I built in 86. It's a MK2 short wheelbase with Marina running gear and a ford Pinto engine. The picture below was taken shortly after it was built. What I've done so far:
    • Replace the master cylinder, the front callipers, rear slave cylinders and the flexi-hose to the rear axle. After all of that the brakes are finally working!
    • I've repainted the underside of the chassis, 18 years of standing idle hadn't done it any favours.
    • Replaced the battery, the original was shot.
    • I had to refurbish the air filter, it's one of the after market pancake jobs and the foam had disintegrated, so I got some new foam from Ramair filters and cut it to size.
    • I also had problems with it not starting too well in the past so I have fitted a solid state fuel pump so it can fill the carb before starting to crank the engine.

On the to-do list I have:
    • I've got a non-return valve for the fuel tank breather that needs to be fitted.
    • I found a non-return valve for the filler neck from an MX5, I always had problems with fuel leaking out of the filler cap on left handers.
    • Need to fit two new shocks on the rear as the old Spax ones are leaking.
    • Get the VDO speedo repaired. The return spring is broken so it just goes straight to the end stop! If anyone has a good recommendation for a repair service I'd be grateful
    • Fit a full set of new tyres.

Once I've got all of that done it should be about ready for an MoT!

Marlin001.jpg
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Re: Started to Restore My Roadster

Have you seen this in our gallery

Comment

No I hadn't, where was it taken?

Comment

Here is the full pic, loaned to me a while back by Phil who built/owned the red Berli next to your car.

The Berli at the back of the shot was Marlins demonstrator and the Roadster on the trailer was DVA 505K, the first Mk2 Marlin.

......I'm guessing 1986 at Meriden, can you confirm .......and do you have any pics from that era ?

PM Sent

Rgds DC
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dcunn; 06-09-14, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
          .....and do you have any pics from that era ?
          Many will have seen these or some of them before, I believe copies have made there way into various collections and the archive here even, maybe!

Posts on dbanes tagged as marlin

Taken by me and scanned in shortly after I built PKK 989M and Marina 1.3 based car that started out in Maidstone, Kent, in black gel coat, then silver and blue and now I believe in Scotland taxed but not MOT's and bright yellow.

David.
          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

What's a budget?

Comment

Dunno, but I think it sits on a perch and doesn't come/go cheep

David, yes, I've put your photos into the archive...thank you

Here's a recent (2013?) one of PKK

Rgds DC
              Attached Files

Comment

The right location but I think you're out by a year, it was the first club meeting at Meriden after my car was registered in October 1986 so that would have made it the '87 meeting. I'll have to have a look and see if I have any other photos to share.

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                  Dunno, but I think it sits on a perch and doesn't come/go cheep

David, yes, I've put your photos into the archive...thank you

Here's a recent (2013?) one of PKK

Rgds DC
                  I think it's a bit earlier, 2011 maybe. We got back to the UK in 2010 after an extended period abroad and the car was up for sale as project but I mistakenly let it slip by as it went for just £500 and was back on the road again very quickly. Then again year or so later it was up for sale but I had a GTM or was it the Vitesse, anyway I had a car so it slipped by again. I think someone bought it for a trials car which is sad because it'll get messed around with now. Anyway, it's currently showing as taxed but not MOT'd so presumably it's parked somewhere again waiting to be sold a barn find in 10 years time.
                  - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                  - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                  - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

After building the roadster I got sucked into the world of rallying. And like Scott the rallying took over and I had less and less time to work on the Marlin and eventually I parked it up when the front callipers seized up completely. The car I built for rallying was a Talbot Sunbeam with DOHC Fiat 2.0L engine. While it didn't have the highest horse power numbers it was quick and we won a few class awards. Here's a picture of the car in action...
                    AvonPark001.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by h.m.cumming1 View Post
                      What's a budget?
                      You have either no money at all, or so much you don't have to think about it ? LOL.

Comment

My dad used to work at a scrap metal firm so I had access to lots of free spare parts! At one point I had a couple of spare engines and gearboxes.

Comment

So Meriden 1987, thanks Andy...and here are 3 more from that year

Look forward to any other Marlin pics you may have

Rgds DC
                          Attached Files

Comment

bet you wish you still had had that Talbot? Cant be many left.

Comment

Similar story here, I got shipped out to the USA and the Australia where I took up occasional tarmac rallying.

Posts on dbanes tagged as celica

Comment

Working...
                              X