X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuspark Ignition - Good or Bad?

Hi All, new here!

Quick Question if that's okay?

So I'm "renovating" a roadster which hasn't moved in 10 years, getting her going and we're so close! only thing is somewhere between the coil and the spark plugs its losing its juice, now if I'm replacing the distributor I can either get a new 25D with Points for £45 or electrics for £70... or Accuspark are doing Coil, Leads, Plugs and Dizzy for only £85 but they have very mixed reviews online, just wondering if anyone's had any luck/misfortune with their kits?

Cheers!

Gage

Re: Accuspark Ignition - Good or Bad?

Hi, just put one of these kits on my 1.8 roadster, replacing the old luminintion kit which was past it sell by date and over heating the coil, and it's been great, very easy to fit and setup cheers mark

Comment

Almost any form of electronic ignition will be beneficial. Before you go ahead and buy a random 25d4 distributor though, have a word with http://Distributordoctor.com there are many different combinations of weights and springs designed to give the best advance/retard curve to suit a particular carb/engine/cam combination.

But if you want to be almost perfect, have a look at http://123ignition.nl expensive, but if you have the time and inclination it can be adjusted to suit from your laptop.

Comment

Thanks guys, the one in particular i was looking at is this;

- if you scroll down to MG there's one for Midgets with 1098-1275cc engines

Someone was trying to tell me that if it's curved for 1275 then it'll just wear out a 1098 pretty quick, but surely if its designed for this spec engine then it'll be mapped somewhere in between?

Comment

I have one of these and works well.

ebay 360523637503

They do others

Adrian

Comment

Hi Gage.
            My advice would be to buy one as the engine running / starting would be improved but speaking from experience, don't whatever you do chuck away the old bits.
            You're buggered if it packs up on the road.
            I had an old Italian classic bike and so many people in the owners club put on electronic ignition systems which failed and had to get the breakdown guys out to get home.
            Keep the old bits in the boot to get you home!
            Gareth

Comment

Adrian; I'm going with the complete kit becuase all of the internals are going to need replacing, and having just had a birthday I have some money to treat myself/the car!

Gareth; thanks for the heads up! I currently drive a classic mini so breakdowns are a regular occurrence for me, definitely upgrading the HT system on that too soon I think

Gage

Comment

fitted the kit as described to a car that had been stood outside for 10 years.. started first turn of the key..

Comment

Originally posted by trialsrfun View Post
                  fitted the kit as described to a car that had been stood outside for 10 years.. started first turn of the key..
                  That's exactly what I'm hoping for here! my grandma stopped driving the car 10 years ago, due to age, and its just been standing, couldnt get a good enough spark of the current system so ordered new kit and lets see if she goes!

Comment

Working...
                  X