Cat C/D donor vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat C/D donor vehicles

Has anyone experience of using a category C or D donor? Obviously need to be aware of full impact of any damage, but does the insurance classification cause any problems? Can it be removed once car is built and been through IVA?

Re: Cat C/D donor vehicles

I'm willing to be shot down over the reply, but it should not make any difference what cat the donor is, since you will be discarding the body shell and using the mechanical components. The only issue will be proving that sufficient components (engine/gearbox/suspension etc. came from a single donor. If you can't satisfy DVLA they came from one source then you will get a Q plate.

Your car will not have the identity of the donor at IVA because as far as the IVA test (conducted by VOSA) is concerned they are assessing the roadworthiness and compliance to vehicle regulations for the car. The are only interested in the chassis number to identify the car.

DVLA on the other hand are want to make sure that you have acquired the components legally (old log books, receipts etc.) and then issue the appropriate registration.

Comment

Chris and Chris

I was going to reply to this yesterday but I wasn't sure so I stopped.

But I agree that it shouldn't make any difference. The IVA man will be checking compliance against the IVA manual and the DVLA man will do document checks to allow you to have an age related plate. I'm sure that IVA man will do a 'general condition' check that will pick up bent or damaged components from a C or D category donor (but you wouldn't have fitted them anyway) but I don't think the insurance history will have any impact at all. If it's nice and cheap, go for it.

Nigel

Comment

Chris, Nigel

thanks for getting back to me.

chris

Comment

Working...
        X