Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left handed transformation.

Hello All.

Is there somebody that managed to transform a right handed Roadster (regular GB) into a left handed car (continental/US) ?

The overall design of the car seems so symetrical that except moving the servobrake from driver's well to the other side, and rebuilding a symmetrical left handed dashboard around the moved driving wheel, the work to be carried out seems to be serious but not unfeasible.

I'm familiar with precision metalwork (machining/welding) and Ford Cortina left handed steering components are available for cheap.

The fatal question is: will the car be still registrated as a Marlin Roadster by MOC after such a change if it happens ?

Regards,
    Chris.

Re: Left handed transformation.

Are we talking Roadster, (Triumph or Marina) or Berlinetta?
    LHD Marina steering racks are very rare indeed, you might find one I the USA or Canada if you are really lucky. The RHD one cannot be turned upside down!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I'd be surprised if a rhd to lhd conversion would mean it's no longer a marlin, but I struggle with your reference to ford steering components on a Roadster?

Comment

I source a LHD Marina rack for a French chap living over here but wishing to take the Roadster back to France. I believe he arranged its shipment from the USA via business interests he had there.

Comment

The answer to your question is yes of course there have been rhd builds/ conversions completed over the years. Roadsters both Triumph and Marina, Ford based Berlinettas, Cabrio, I do not know of a Sportster rhd personally, but I am sure there will be one somewhere. Different ideas on how to achieve the conversions.
          Which side the steering/ controls/ are positioned on make no difference to what the car is or to the MOC.
          Paul Moorhouse built a single seater central steering.
          Danny.

Comment

Hello all, thanks for your answers

A LHD steering rack (?) for a Ford Cortina is still available as brand new spare, as cheap as 110€.
            The project would address dashboard, steering line, exhaust (precisely at the WRONG place for a LHD ) and rewireing.
            Once I get my first Marlin (Nov 15 th if everything goes right) I'll enjoy it and begin the design sketchs.

Regards,
            Christophe.

Comment

Still find this confusing Christophe ?? at the top you talk about a roadster but then you say Cortina steering rack??? which Marlin are you getting because roadsters do not use a Cortina rack.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hello Ben, thanks for your message.

My future toy is a Marina-based Roadster, no doubt about that

I was confused by the equivalence given (in error) by a spare part website, saying that "Morris Marina" and "Ford Cortina" shared the same steering rack, hence my error thinking that a LHD Cortina rack would make the job on a RHD Marina-based Roadster.

I would of course buy the exact LHD equivalent of the RHD rack fitted on the Roadster

But this is a future project, I have first to enjoy my Roadster for thousand Km!

Regards,
                Christophe.

Comment

If you can't find a LHD Marina rack it may be worth investigating a Triumph Herald/Vitesse etc.RHD rack as this works in front of the axle line so when turned over would work the same as a Marina rack behind the axle line you would need to check the dimensions. The mounts will need some modifying but both racks are very similar design and the mounting brackets are the same,
                  Last edited by b_caswell; 04-11-14, 11:21 PM.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thank you Ben, I record this

Regards,
                    Christophe.

Comment

Working...
                    X