engine removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine removal

having invested in an engine hoist I am due to change the clutch in my marina based roadster shortly - will I be needing to remove the radiator / nose cone to get the engine and gear box out?

Re: engine removal

I find it easier to drop the engine/box onto a dolly then lift the car up to facilitate removal of the dolly.
    A swinging B series & box can do an awful lot of damage..!
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
      I find it easier to drop the engine/box onto a dolly then lift the car up to facilitate removal of the dolly.
      A swinging B series & box can do an awful lot of damage..!
      Have to agree, it saves a lot of unnecessary work.
      Can I ask what your plans are? If its just a rebuild, it might be worth looking at the radiator and adding an extra core? which means the nose cone will have to come off anyway.

If you do decide to take the engine out from above something like this helps control the angle ebay

There is a slim chance I will be in Hurst around the 30 Nov.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I'd also go for dropping the engine and box out of the bottom and lifting the car over it. When I had to take mine out shortly after the build this was the method that we used. I was younger then and my dad and I picked the Marlin up by the front bumper and wheeled it back like a wheelbarrow!
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
          I'd also go for dropping the engine and box out of the bottom and lifting the car over it. When I had to take mine out shortly after the build this was the method that we used. I was younger then and my dad and I picked the Marlin up by the front bumper and wheeled it back like a wheelbarrow!
          +1 from me.
          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I dropped the engine and box out of my marina lwb recently. I lifted the car high as I could (trolley jacked it onto ramps then hoiked it a foot higher still with my block and tackle - then I lowered the drivetrain out onto a trolley. I left the nose cone and rad in place. There was enough room. I used a block and tackle on an A frame so a hoist may give you a bit more control. You may wish to put a pice of plywood infront of the rad core just in case (I didnt ).

Comment

When I removed the engine from my 1800 Roadster I tried lifting first but gearbox still attached and simple not enough clearance. Then it was a case of lowering to the ground onto a trolley and using the crane to lift the front of the car. I had to remove the carbs for clearance.

Comment

86-GSJ-61.jpg
                Found this in our own gallery under Roadster :

Comment

I saw that one too. Seems a bit strange to have it as the cover picture for the album though....
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

ah the vagaries of indexing!

Comment

Its not all that unusual for a transmission, engine/gearbox to be installed with te body being lowered onto it. Even Model T's did it. It's generally only the amateur that extracts an engine and gearbox from above.
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

If you are just doing the clutch, get the car off the ground on stands and remove the gearbox on a trolley jack and it will help to lower/tilt the rear of the engine by using a small jack. A 2-3 hours job complete when you have the tools.

Comment

As it is just clutch replacement for the moment I may follow the suggestion of dropping just the box - anything for an easy life!
                          Gearbox upgrade is a future project......
                          The radiator is already upgraded by the last owner.
                          Thanks everyone!
                          Charles

Comment

Originally posted by david View Post
                            +1 from me.
                            +1 from me too. Definitely easier to drop the engine out and lift the car.

Comment

I have taken my MG 1800 engine out several times now always from the top with no hassle it was easier to remove the radiator but i did do it without.
                              i left the gearbox in place in the car each time.

Comment

Working...
                              X