MOC South West monthly meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOC South West monthly meet

I am planning to try and resurrect the South West monthly meets and want to get a feel for what form these could take. As the success of this will depend on what members want I am inviting comments based on the following ideas:

Would you be interested in meeting other members from your general area once a month?

Would you prefer a meet to be at the same place every month or to vary the venue? Remember that the South West region from East Somerset to Lands End in Cornwall is about 250 miles.

How far would you consider to be a reasonable drive to the meet?

Maybe choose two venues, one at each end of the region on alternate months, would give people in those areas effectively a once a month meet? Or even on two different meet dates per month would also allow anyone who wanted a longer drive (or who lived half way between) to have a twice monthly meet if they so wanted to!

Where to meet? Traditionally car clubs tend to meet at a pub for refreshments. Maybe alternatively at a local attraction would also be a possibility e.g. Steam heritage location, Aircraft museum, National Trust property, all suggestions welcome. Depending on likely numbers somewhere with adequate parking and some food seem to be the most important requirements. In the summer months the meets could be varied to coincide with any local car shows.

When to meet? Assuming that not everyone will be retired and that some people work on a Saturday that tends to suggest Sundays would be most popular? Maybe initially we should stay with the 2nd Sunday of the month as in the past and as advertised in Pitstop? That would make the next date Sunday 14th December.

The old venue of the Ley Arms at Kenn near Exeter is now under new management and I have had several good meals there. For carnivores they do plated roast lunches on a Sunday, not a carvery. It can get quite busy there on a Sunday lunchtime and there is limited parking on site. On a personal note it is only 5 miles from where I live so I would prefer a longer drive .

So there you have some ideas of mine. Please let me know what you think and if you have any other suggestions. We can then put it on the Forum calendar.

As a final note, if your Marlin is currently being fettled, rebuilt or whatever, you are still allowed to arrive in a modern, so no excuses!

Peter.

Re: MOC South West monthly meet

Very nice to hear somebody has "bitten the bullet" re having a "Meet" again in the South West. Yes I would be up for it. Judy and I have been out nearly every weekend this year, sometimes only Sunday, and we often go over Exmoor from Taunton, stopping at the White Horse, Exford for a Sunday Carvery at £8.95 each. We then go on to Lynmouth and return home via Minehead, Watchet and Bridgwater, back to Aller. When we have been at the White Horse, Exford, they have had several different car and motorcycle clubs making Exford their meeting point for a meal etc. Parking this time of the year is not too bad. It would be necessary to book as especially during the summer it becomes very busy. This is just a suggestion.
    The Ley Arms used to be a good run for me as it is just over an hours drive from me, I realise how difficult it is to suit everybody, with the large distances involved in the South West. Your suggestion for two different "meets" a month might be a good idea, one in the West and one further East. Also the idea of meeting at NT properties or other events sounds good. David.

Comment

Hi Pete,
      you are a marvel.
      I am happy to travel any distance. My only snag in winter is that I have to be back to feed the critters two hours-ish before sunset. That means I have to be home at about 1400-1430 this time of the year. Cheryl and I used to leave Kenn at about 1330 in winter to get to Indian queens for 1430. No, don't do the sums, I'm sure I obey all speed limits!!!
      I've often wondered about meeting in the villages of Exmoor or Dartmoor, and how about the Village pubs on the North coast of Devon (outside grockel season of course!)
      Many thanks for taking on the onerous job of SW Marlin resurrection.

Best wishes,
      Dane.
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Thanks for the replies Dane and David M. Well, with me and my son David, that's four cars so far then. One Roadster, two Berlis and a Hunter. As if to emphasise the length of the SW region that's about 120 miles between the furthest! Looks like somewhere half way would be the best bet. Any others interested in the proposed meet on Sunday 14th December? Venue likely mid to east Devon TBA???? Suggestions welcome. Peter.
        Last edited by greyV8pete; 26-11-14, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Hello Peter,
          Great idea.
          Unfortunately both my Marlin and I are SORNed until April.
          Very happy to join you then.
          Best wishes
          Andrew
          Ps we met at Pentillie

Comment

Hello Peter
            I would definitely be interested in meeting up now and again. As I run a clay pigeon shoot every other week on a Sunday morning I am a little restricted , but it would be nice to meet up at fixed venues for lunch or any place of interest that involves maybe a "geo cache " for Marlin owners that can leave their "calling card " to prove that they at least made it to the location if they were late or got lost on the way!
            I am not sure how best to agree on the "cache" location prior to any meet but just an idea that maybe could be discussed over a pint (of lemonade) at the inaugural meeting.
            As I live on the Northern border of the South West (Cheddar area) I would probably be one of the late or lost members!
            Regards
            Mike

Comment

OK so for the first new South West lunchtime meet it’s this coming Sunday 14th Dec at 12.00am at the Half Moon Inn at Sheepwash post code EX21 5NE. Tel 01409 231376.

The intended plan was for these meets to be informal and somewhere to aim for, after an individual choice morning drive in our Marlins.

That said it is just before Christmas so for this first time only, and against my better judgement, I have booked a table for 8 people at 12.00am that should cover those that have shown a definite commitment so far for that date.

Why do I say against my better judgement you may ask? So put yourself in the position of myself or the landlord of the hostelry of choice.

Scenario 1 - You book a table for say 12 people that’s only 6 cars plus passenger. All 12 say they will come but only 6 turn up. Who reimburses the landlord for the seats that he could have had paying guests sitting on? ( I have experienced one occasion in the past where the landlord asked the organiser for a whip round to make up the missing numbers!). I do not want to suffer a similar fate for my efforts!

Scenario 2 - You book a table for 12 people and after word gets around 12 cars decide to turn up, potentially 24 people! Some are likely to go hungry!

So for this first meet can you please send me a PM to confirm:

1 That you will definitely be coming (Rain is not an excuse!)

2 That you want to eat (some people just stop for a drink and a chat).

Can you please also make sure that anyone that is coming knows the venue as it is not as shown in Pitstop!

Waiting for your PMs . Peter.
              Last edited by greyV8pete; 08-12-14, 09:19 AM. Reason: Date confirmed.

Comment

Peter
                Unfortunately I cannot make this one. Good luck with your booking.
                Regards
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikePeel View Post
                  Peter
                  Unfortunately I cannot make this one. Good luck with your booking.
                  Regards
                  Mike
                  Thanks for the info Mike. Peter.

Comment

Hi Pete, we will be coming (myself Cheryl and Buddy) but we will not be having a full meal as we will have to depart by about 1400.

Many thanks - see you there.
                    Dane
                    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I shall of course be there! It'll be a good excuse to go for a drive and a nice break from the usual weekend house work...

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_Rescueman View Post
                        Hi Pete, we will be coming (myself Cheryl and Buddy) but we will not be having a full meal as we will have to depart by about 1400.

Many thanks - see you there.
                        Dane
                        Thanks Dane. Looking forward to meeting you all again. Peter.

Comment

Judy and I will definetly be there and would like a meal, as long as we are not the only ones eating !!!! We do not share !!!! Weather permitting using the Roadster as we cannot access the car with a hood on [never used it in 4 years], we have travelled 4,500 miles so far this year and have never been soaked. Different to the night of the Cornish Pasty run for the Devon contingent, what memories !!!! If wet the "Tintop", if allowed. David.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply David. A few of us will be eating to keep you company! Tintops permitted if really wet! We look forward to seeing you both there. Peter.

Comment

Don't forget the first new South West lunchtime meet it’s tomorrow Sunday 14th Dec at 12.00am at the Half Moon Inn at Sheepwash! Full details post #7 above. Hope the rain keeps off! Peter.

Comment

Working...
                              X