Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SORN and laying up car for extended period

Guys
    Due to a major illness (begins with 'C') I have had do a SORN on my Hunter, as well as send my licence back to DVLA. I'm not looking for sympathy, but would appreciate advice on what attention I should give my Hunter parked continually in my garage for the next 9-12 months without being run. Obviously, I will keep the battery charged up, but what else should I do?

Hopefully by the end of this period I will be fit enough to satisfy the Swansea guys that I will have recovered to 100% status (following extensive CHEMO therapy etc), and can apply for the return of my licence and get my car back into service. If anyone has been down this route, I would appreciate their experiences as well.
    Cheers
    Mike

Re: SORN and laying up car for extended period

Hi Mike, just a thought. Where abouts are you in the country, and are any club members nearby to volunteer to give the car a run up and down the drive to keep things moving? I'm in Chester and go up to Newcastle area quite often, if it helps.
    All the best and look forward to seeing you on the road!!!
    Gareth.

Comment

Presuming the garage is not heated I would add an extra dose of anifreeze just to be sure. Being garaged will protect the tyres from the ravages of UV, but I wouldd suggest lifting the weight off of the tyres if the car does not move, to avoid flat spots.
      A decent trickle charger will keep the battery condition up.
      Inevitably corrosion will be an issue, some hidden. I would leave the handbrake off to at leat eliminate the chance of the pads sticking do the discs or drums

Your biggest enemy will be damp and the possibility of mice etc. if the garage is not ventilated regularly
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Unless a newish battery then consider it will need changing when you hopefully are able to drive again. Trickle charging MIGHT keep it seeming as fully charged but my experience is they are better being used - even if just to power a radio in the garage.
        Loosing your licence is horrible. I lost mine as suspended by hospital doctor after a stroke and had to undertake a fitness to drive assessment before I was allowed behind the wheel again so be prepared for that requirement. Assessment isn't difficult - just checking mentally and physically you can control a vehicle. I had to wait months for an appointment and together with the period when I wasn't well enough to drive anyway that came to around 12 months. Felt very strange being behind the wheel again to do the assessment - especially as it was in a strange car (with electric handbrake) that I'd never driven before in busy Birmingham traffic !

Comment

Get a small de-humidier and keep it on few a few days at a time you would be surprised how full they get !!

Comment

Clutches have a habit of sticking to the flywheel when cars are laid up. Not sure if you will be able to sit in it and start it but if so you can run the engine every two or three weeks and with the handbrake on just slip it into top gear and very lightly let the clutch engage for a few seconds. That will polish off anything like rust that is trying to stick things together. If not possible another trick is to wedge a piece of wood between the clutch pedal and the front seat squab. Meantime I wish you every success with your treatment. Peter.

Comment

I'm in the process of recommissioning mine after an 18 year lay up! Mine was stored in a regular garage and to be honest the biggest problem I've had is the brakes, all the rubber seals were perished, but it was sat there for a long time! As mentioned by others I would put it on axle stands to save the tyres from flat spotting. It is safe to start and run the car while it is on stands so long as they are decent ones. The rally cross guys do it to warm up the transmission before races. I ran mine up on stands last weekend when I changed the oil and it was fine. The clutch will also stick to the flywheel if it's left for too long but it's relatively easy to free off with a hammer and a chisel if the worst happens. All the best with your treatment and hope to see you out and about in your Marlin soon.
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

You can make your own dehumidifying thingummybob, cbs sell them for about £20. but just get a couple of old large socks and fill them with cat litter (fresh of course) and pop them in the footwells and boot area. Every few weeks you just dry them out in a low oven or on a radiator and pop them back in. I personally have a greenhouse heater - its like a long tube which you plug in. Its 55w so relatively cheap to run. I slide it under the car centrally.

Comment

Thanks guys
                  That's given me a few ideas to pursue. My garage is totally weatherproof, but un-heated. I've got a good quality cover which might keep out any nasties. I'll certainly put in another cupful of anti-freeze. Ideally, if I can hold down the clutch pedal in some way, this might stop the mechanism sticking together. The greenhouse heater idea could be good, as long as it doesn't ignite or melt the cover!
                  Cheers
                  Mike

Comment

try one of these...should keep the clutch free.

Comment

I believe it's ok to prop the clutch pedal providing it's mechanical ie cable operated. I personally wouldn't do it with hydraulic system unless you want to then replace all the seals.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                        try one of these...should keep the clutch free.
                        That looks like a useful little tool

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                          I believe it's ok to prop the clutch pedal providing it's mechanical ie cable operated. I personally wouldn't do it with hydraulic system unless you want to then replace all the seals.
                          Agree leaving hydraulics under pressure for a long time is asking for trouble
                          When i suggested a trickle charger earlier i was thinking of my all singing and dancing CTEK one. Not your average charger.
                          MOC member since 05/97
                          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the clutch, if it sticks to the flywheel it's easy to free it off, I've had to do mine twice now. A quick tap with a well place chisel and it will pop off.

Comment

There is a good chance the clutch is cable operated with a 2l DOHC engine and MT75 gearbox, which is what I think Mike has fitted.
                              The clutch plate can be freed with a chisel , but you do have to have the engine out!
                              BTW my engine sat for 7 years in the car during the build and the clutch worked OK even after that time.

Comment

Working...
                              X