Is the Marina Combination Switch Servicable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Marina Combination Switch Servicable

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the column switch apart to clean the contacts? Just tested mine and the flasher and horn are not working and as far as I can tell it's the switch that's the problem.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Re: Is the Marina Combination Switch Servicable

Hi Andy, I had a similar problem and an "old feller" said take the switch off and dip the body in vinegar for half an hour. Take it out and rinse thoroughly in warm water and fairy liquid and dry with the missus hairdrier. I thought nothing venture ect and it worked and carried on working and probably still is. Cheers Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, I'll have to give it a go. I've tried contact cleaner but it's had no impact. I don't really want to spend any more on it at the moment as I planned to rework the dash later.

Comment

Or replace with a Mini item. Different formats depending on age but 80's Mini stalks will fit and are available from Mini spares. I use a c 1987 Mini unit turned upside down to clear the scuttle.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Cl...ck%20to%20shop
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
          Does anyone know if it's possible to take the column switch apart to clean the contacts? Just tested mine and the flasher and horn are not working and as far as I can tell it's the switch that's the problem.
          Possibly the two best resources:-

FastMarinaMagazine

TheMiniForum

Take lots of photographs as you strip it down. Makes it easier to reassemble

Comment

I have done this a couple of times with other cars in the past with great success. Just remember to take your time and be gentle. You will find that the electrical grease has got lots of black crud in it - clean it out with a screwdriver tip and off you go. Just watch out for the detent springs which have a habit of flying out if you are not wary then you lose them or the plastic bits which go in them.

Comment

Has anyone got the Marina wiring diagram? Unfortunately I've mislaid my build manual which had all of that information with it

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                Has anyone got the Marina wiring diagram? Unfortunately I've mislaid my build manual which had all of that information with it
                I have a copy from Haynes but the original manual is better.

Here or there

Comment

I have a marina work shop manual i will try and scan the wiring diagram tonight. My email is [email protected] if you send me your email address I will send you the diagram.

Comment

Andy, I will be in Fleet over Xmas and can bring my Haines manual with me for you to copy if it helps Chris.

Comment

Thanks guys, Steve's copy on Keep'n'Share is good enough. Many thanks Andy

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                        I have a copy from Haynes but the original manual is better.

Here or there
                        Haynes Manual extract Here or there

Comment

Thanks for the wiring diagram Steve, I managed to trace it to a faulty supply. There are a couple of spades that should probably be replaced at some point... The only issue I have left is an intermittent headlamp flasher switch. Fortunately the contacts are on the outside of the assembly so I can get to them without taking the whole lot apart. A little job for tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, wish there had been forums like this around when I was building the car the first time round!

Comment

Working...
                          X