Cabrio v8sd1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio v8sd1

Need exhaust manifold pipes, rover engine v8 sd1.

Re: Cabrio v8sd1

There are several manifolds for the V8 Rover engine but if its definitely SD1 then ebay item number 301483530221 may help. There are some others for the MGB which fit closer to the block - are you haveing a complete new system?

Comment

MGB V8 ones are nice and tight !!!

Comment

I have recently fitted a pair on my roadster, MGB hive MG BRAND NEW MGB V8 STAINLESS STEEL BLOCK HUGGER MANIFOLDS £325 a pair

SS exhaust manifold.jpg

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\MICHAE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]
        YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

The remaining piping was made from six 900 bends (Clamco SSB3890 38mm 90 Degree Stainless Mandrel Bends) £10.25 each - three for each side. These were cut to length and then fastened together using strips of mild steel and a jubilee clip on each side of each joint, this enabled me to remove the three pieces of pipe as a whole keeping them in the correct orientation. The joints were then TIG welded (tacked) at three points to avoid distortions, the clips were then removed and a run of weld ran around the whole pipe finished the job.

Try looking at http://www.clampcouk.co.uk/exhaust-r...rel-bends.html for various types of bends.
          IMG_1520.JPGSS bend.jpg
          Last edited by Michael Turpin; 12-01-15, 09:16 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Turpin View Post
            I have recently fitted a pair on my roadster, MGB hive MG BRAND NEW MGB V8 STAINLESS STEEL BLOCK HUGGER MANIFOLDS £325 a pair

[ATTACH]5862[/ATTACH]

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\MICHAE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]
            Hi Michael. I am still looking for something to replace the failing O/E Marlin manifolds on my Hunter. Any chance you can post some more photos of the above fitted to your car, especially on the driver's side? I believe the engine mountings will be the same as my 3.9i V8 but obviously the steering column and chassis clearance will probably be more of an issue for me. Also details of your supplier would be appreciated. Peter.

By the way I am assuming that the manifold ports & studs are the same on both the 3.5 and 3.9i engines? Can anyone confirm this? PL.
            Last edited by greyV8pete; 15-01-15, 11:29 AM. Reason: Last para added. PL.

Comment

Peter your right the down-pipe does come close to the engine mounts on both sides so I altered the mount to accommodate it. It also fouls the right hand side drain tap which had to be plugged.
              I will take some pictures ASAP but I am in the middle of a gearbox change which requires all the exhaust system to be removed which I have just done today !! but the manifolds are still attached so it should be very clear how much room there is.
              I'm not sure if the 3.5 is the same as the 3.9 but I had originally had a pair of P6 cast iron manifolds but they ended up cracking and literally falling apart so I'm assuming that most of the rover V8 variants are the same

Comment

Many thanks Michael. When you take the photos can you please include a ruler in the pics especially if you can take a "front" and "top" view as I need to see the clearance for the steering and the chassis. I have an MOT 6th Feb so hope to get it sorted by then . Peter.

Comment

Peter here are a few pictures taken today before you asked for a ruler (good idea) to be included

IMG_7312a.jpgIMG_7315a.jpgIMG_7319a.jpgIMG_7330.JPG

let me know if you need any with a rule, you can get an idea as the manifold tube is 44mm dia
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Michael Turpin; 16-01-15, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Hi Michael.
                    Many thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately my engine mounts are under the centre so it looks as though it will foul the down pipe.

Photo of my O/Side one attaced:

HUNTER OS Manifold L.jpg

I have seen other tubular manifolds by Rimmers and one on the Locost forum but they also will either foul the engine mount, the steering column or the chassis at the front.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Peter.
                    Last edited by greyV8pete; 17-01-15, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Peter, its a shame because the new manifold and pipework had a marked effect on the overall running and performance, however you are right I had to modify the engine mounts moving them about 30mm off their original position and the steering linkage even though the linkage on a YKC is lower down I had to put another UJ in the route

IMG_1522a.jpg
                      Last edited by Michael Turpin; 18-01-15, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Hi Michael. That's an interesting set up. Just for my future reference can you take another photo of the steering where it runs along the chassis, where I guess you will have put some extra support / bearings of some kind?

Also where did you get the extra universal joints? I may well have to use something similar if I ever find an off the shelf system that would fit "if only the steering was out of the way". Peter.

Comment

Hi Peter, that looks like a Cortina part to me.

Comment

Peter the extra joint was from a Ford Sierra which I had left over from when I built the car 20 yrs ago.
                            The modified shaft was made from toughened steel the splines being cut on a dividing head and milling machine, the long shaft runs along the length of the chassis and is supported in a nylon block just behind the second joint and then joins a third joint at the steering rack.

IMG_1624.JPGIMG_1627.JPG
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Michael Turpin; 19-01-15, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                              Hi Michael. That's an interesting set up. Just for my future reference can you take another photo of the steering where it runs along the chassis, where I guess you will have put some extra support / bearings of some kind?

Also where did you get the extra universal joints? I may well have to use something similar if I ever find an off the shelf system that would fit "if only the steering was out of the way". Peter.
                              Hi Peter, Car Builder Solutions do a good selection of parts to make up a steering column, including various U/Js and splined or triangle shafts. Scott.

Comment

Working...
                              X