Heater in Marina Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater in Marina Roadster

I have been gently freezing when I have taken the car out recently (previous owner said the heater was useless when I bought it last year).

As the unit is a Mini heater it was surprisingly easy to remove and strip down, once all the hair and feathers from what I suspect had been a mouse nest had been removed plus the matrix had been back flushed with the garden hose which coughed out brown sludge the car is positively toasty (with the hood up)!

Well worth the 3 hours the job took!

Re: Heater in Marina Roadster

Charles can you come and do my heater in my Suzuki Vitara - thats not very warm in this weather !!!

Comment

A lesson to those with occasionally overheating roadsters. The heater matrix can provide that additional bit of cooling in the case of emergency.
      With low mileage cars with cast iron engines the build up of sludge in the cooling system can be a problem through the whole cooling system.
      There is an argument that the corrosion inhibiting characteristics of anifreeze degrade over time, as well as discussions over which type of antifreeze should be used in a classic car, suggesting that more modern engines have different requirements.
      If your car is going to stand over the winter, it may be worth considering a complete flush and refil of your complete cooling system every couple of years.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Antifreeze in a Classic Car FBHVC

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
        A lesson to those with occasionally overheating roadsters. The heater matrix can provide that additional bit of cooling in the case of emergency.
        With low mileage cars with cast iron engines the build up of sludge in the cooling system can be a problem through the whole cooling system.
        There is an argument that the corrosion inhibiting characteristics of anifreeze degrade over time, as well as discussions over which type of antifreeze should be used in a classic car, suggesting that more modern engines have different requirements.
        If your car is going to stand over the winter, it may be worth considering a complete flush and refil of your complete cooling system every couple of years.

FBHVC Antifreeze in Classic Cars

here or there

there or here

In view of the furore caused (see below) I have decided to remove these two files (that have been viewed over 110 times) from my Public Archive, they are still available in my Private Archive.
        If you wish to view them, I would be happy to email them privately.
        [email protected]
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 26-01-15, 10:18 AM. Reason: Added link
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Re: Antifreeze in a Classic Car FBHVC

Here we go again, why cant you keep this type of information on this site rather than send everyone, once again, to your Keep and share site.

Comment

Originally posted by dbazdavies View Post
            Charles can you come and do my heater in my Suzuki Vitara - thats not very warm in this weather !!!
            I've got similar problem. Rear engine in my everyday car means it takes an age for the cabin heater to warm up due to length of pipework !

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
              Here we go again, why cant you keep this type of information on this site rather than send everyone, once again, to your Keep and share site.
              Why is it that the same few people always complain when stevejgreen posts links to useful information? Does it matter where the documents are actually located, it's just a click away, whether on the MOC forum, Steves Keepandshare archive, or the FBHVC website etc. What's the difference?
              I can't help but surmise that there is a personal vendetta being carried out. If so, I have now probably added myself to the 'hate' list.

I never knew that there was a difference in Antifreeze types, and without Steves contribution, on this subject and many others, I probably would never have learned, about this and other topics.

Keep up the good work please Steve.

Comment

I don't have hate lists.

Comment

Thanks for the support Nick. Only too happy to provide useful information.

Readers, including the MOC Chairman, will have learned that the two documents I shared above were open access, not requiring a login to Keepandshare in order to read them.
                  There is always the option for any MOC Club member to attach any document they choose to any post on the MOC forum, even by copying and reposting mine or any source material.
                  As I understand it, Nick is not an MOC member, so he can't post attachments, nor can he view those attachments posted by others.
                  By using Keepandshare I appear to have unwittingly covered everyone from the MOC Chairman down. Surely that can't be wrong.
                  MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Just for clarification any registered user can see attachments and add their own, not just club members. Non paid up members cannot see the members only sections which includes pitstop archives. We are pretty open about what we share with the world on this site and the number of hits we get shows that people use this site for research on cars others than marlins. Our whole ethos is about encouraging the enjoyment of our cars and helping fellow enthusiasts - and I think we do a flippin' good job. Club membership is still only £15 and for that you get a fabulous resource within one of the most friendly clubs online and on the planet.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification. You are in a much better position than me to identify different categories of forum readers than me. It is impossible for forum users to identify who is a registered user and who is a MOC member.
                      Your clarification reinforces the argument that anyone can post an attachment on the MOC forum, but people complain when I don't, and use Keepanshare instead. This is odd specifically when they are general use documents and not immediately Marlin specific. Would it be the same if I used Flickr, Dropbox, or any of the other file sharing services?

Not wanting to draw an innocent party in any further, clearly, from Nicks reaction, some readers think we are not one of the most friendly clubs online, and on the planet.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

the quick answer is that you should use flikr and similar resources, (the forum software will even link directly to your flikr account and draw in the picture for you). The way you pop a link on which someone clicks and the information is there immediately is exactly what the web is about. What is irritating is when you have to go and join something, like keep and share and other similar repositories, and go through a sign-up process when all you want is to know the answer!

So I would say when using a simple linking system then please do more of it. If you have to go through a sign up process - let's not.
                        Last edited by cameronfurnival; 25-01-15, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                          the quick answer is that you should use flikr and similar resources, (the forum software will even link directly to your flikr account and draw in the picture for you). The way you pop a link on which someone clicks and the information is there immediately is exactly what the web is about. What is irritating is when you have to go and join something, like keep and share and other similar repositories, and go through a sign-up process when all you want is to know the answer!

So I would say when using a simple linking system then please do more of it. If you have to go through a sign up process - let's not.
                          This debate should not be in a public area of the forum, better dealt with privately.

Flickr has restrictions on file sizes and I have yet to find a way of uploading a PDF file there, if there is a way perhaps you can enlighten me?
                          Should I use Dropbox, where I share many photos with family and friends?

The point at issue here is that the documents I shared above are free access. No signup is required, no cost, it's free.
                          So where is the problem?

It appears I have already provided information to Nick, and he is perfectly happy, as are many others, including the MOC chairman, who have downloaded them, perhaps you too, where is the problem with that?
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Hi Steve, I for one am grateful for you taking the time to post these useful docsI've found them very helpful.
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Wow!
                              It appears that I have opened a massive can of worms.
                              If this is the reaction that someone gets for providing copies of 2 documents for free, I had better not post links to the 33 Popular Mechanics documents that Steve also shares for free, along with many others. If 2 documents are enough to annoy someone, 33 will send them into an apoplectic fit!

Steve is right, using Flickr is fine for one page jpg images but it is not possible to save multi page pdf files, at least I have not found a way.

Drop box is a good alternative for photos and documents, presenting a folder structure in a similar manner to Keepandshare.

As for sign up procedures, you had to do one to access the internet, read your email, and log into the MOC forum, you also need to sign up to a flickr account to post pictures. These are often invisible if you consistently use the same computing device and have it set to remember passwords, something that is not recommended for mobile computing, smart, devices, that can so easily get lost or stolen.

Finally, reading this, discourages me, and probably others, from posting any links to interesting documents that I have in my own archive. I don't want to the same criticism and barrage of abuse that Steve has received from a 'friendly club'.

Comment

Working...
                              X