Where do I go from here ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where do I go from here ??

Before you all go off on one, the Clubs insurance is for car shows only. If you read your own insurance certificates it may state
    "The policy does not cover use of hiring, the letting on hire, the carriage of passengers or goods for hire or reward, racing, pacemaking, use in any contest, reliability or speed trial, or use for any purpose in connection with the motor trade, except where included above".
    When we were members of a RAC affiliated Club we were covered under their insurance to organise competitive events with the proviso that the overall average speed of the event did not exceed 30mph.
    A classic car club we are involved with have been advised by their insurance company that you must not have a compulsory route, it must be classed as a suggested route and people are free to find their own way.

Comment

We seem to be getting close to uncovering the reason for the email to Keith. How about someone from the Committee chipping in to confirm or otherwise?

Then if the Committee could issue some guidelines about this sort of thing we can close this thread before we have people leaving the club or drawing pistols at the next meeting.

We should be able to resolve things like this without confrontation, after all presumably we're all members for similar reasons even if the usual club politics (which we all see in every club:-() occasionally trip us up.

David.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by david View Post
        We seem to be getting close to uncovering the reason for the email to Keith. How about someone from the Committee chipping in to confirm or otherwise?

Then if the Committee could issue some guidelines about this sort of thing we can close this thread before we have people leaving the club or drawing pistols at the next meeting.

We should be able to resolve things like this without confrontation, after all presumably we're all members for similar reasons even if the usual club politics (which we all see in every club:-() occasionally trip us up.

David.
        If it is a question of insurance, why was this not mentioned in the original email from the vice chair? All he seemed interested in was the use of the club logo!
        Again, if this is a question of insurance, is it not possible for a club with our financial resources to invest in a policy that does cover fund raising events such as this, or to sponsor an individual policy purely for Keith's C2C charity event.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I would be very proud for my club, the Marlin Owners Club, to support the CtC.
          This assuming that it has the approval of the relevant police authorities for it to take place and that the clubs insurers are informed and that any extra premium is paid from club funds.
          If no funds are available I would be happy to contribute towards the premium .

There may be some changes to the wording of event literature needed to satisfy our insurers in the way that Liz mentions but this perhaps should be the way forward given the approval by the committee in the first place.

Andrew

Comment

On the insurance side of things, I am insured with Peter James and confirmed with them, as we were advised to do before the Pasty Run by the MOC and was told "No Problem as long as it is not a race or speed testing". Other events where I take my car, Forde Abbey, Low Ham Steam, Uppottery Airfield 70's do, Rare Breeds at Haynes Motor museum, Mark Classic Car event and many others, all need insurance, but nothing different to my ordinary Road Insurance.
            I have an ancient Wheelhorse garden Tractor but if I want to take that to an event, not on a public road, I require full Road cover Insurance, costing about £50 per year. This has discouraged me from taking the Wheelhorse to shows, we do not want the MOC "Member's" events to end up down the same road. David

Comment

An interesting thread gentlemen and I have watched it quite closely as have others. Its unfair to hark back to the bad old days when threads like this would have been heavily edited and even removed, and I know that members of the committee have been in contact with Keith behind the scenes to explain the position of the use of the club logo and club insurance etc and Im sure we will have a resolution fairly soon. So can I ask for a period of grace whilst things are sorted out and then we can explain the issues?
              All committee members details are in pitstop - please feel free to contact any of us should you wish to do so.

Comment

As a non MOC Member, I can't help but think that what is going on 'behind the scenes' now should have been discussed with Keith before it became a discussion point at a committee meeting. That way the whole issue, and this thread, would not have appeared and an amicable resolution found well in advance.

Now a committee member wants a period of grace to clear up the mess that they created. Bad show gentlemen.

You have successfully warned off anyone organising an event on behalf of the members. This is a declining hobby as every year we lose another show, the committees reaction is to discourage social events organised by the members. Bad show indeed.

If people are threatening to leave or have already left the MOC due to mismanagement, where is my incentive to join?

Comment

I know the MOC will not be in a position to cover events such C2C and one of the things on my ticklist for nearer the event (just as I did with LeJoG) was to ask all the drivers to contact their insurance companies to make sure they are covered to take part in a relay. All this toing and froing is not getting us anywhere. What is needed is for the Vice Chairman, as the elected voice of the committee in this matter, to elaborate on his email and do me the service of explaining the background to the reasons he feels I now need to be distanced from the club in running this event. I am extremely close to calling a halt to the whole thing. Pitstop runs the headline "putting the fun back into driving" - this is certainly not doing that and I see no reason why I should end up being the villian in all this.

Comment

Originally posted by keithh View Post
                    I know the MOC will not be in a position to cover events such C2C and one of the things on my ticklist for nearer the event (just as I did with LeJoG) was to ask all the drivers to contact their insurance companies to make sure they are covered to take part in a relay. All this toing and froing is not getting us anywhere. What is needed is for the Vice Chairman, as the elected voice of the committee in this matter, to elaborate on his email and do me the service of explaining the background to the reasons he feels I now need to be distanced from the club in running this event. I am extremely close to calling a halt to the whole thing. Pitstop runs the headline "putting the fun back into driving" - this is certainly not doing that and I see no reason why I should end up being the villian in all this.
                    Clearly, what was is happening 'behind the scenes' is not enough to satisfy Keith.
                    This is in the public domain, to quote your Vice Chair. The Vice Chair needs to shoulder his responsibility towards the members but more importantly to Keith who should not be vilified for his honourable actions.

Comment

I'll check my insurance but I don't expect it to be a problem as it's not a time trial.
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by NIck Myra View Post
                        As a non MOC Member, I can't help but think that what is going on 'behind the scenes' now should have been discussed with Keith before it became a discussion point at a committee meeting. That way the whole issue, and this thread, would not have appeared and an amicable resolution found well in advance.

Now a committee member wants a period of grace to clear up the mess that they created. Bad show gentlemen.

You have successfully warned off anyone organising an event on behalf of the members. This is a declining hobby as every year we lose another show, the committees reaction is to discourage social events organised by the members. Bad show indeed.

If people are threatening to leave or have already left the MOC due to mismanagement, where is my incentive to join?
                        For one moment I thought about rejoining and even discussed it at length with a committee member, but it seems nothing has changed with the committee. This is been lead by the vice chairman and he needs to stand up and explain his actions for such a travesty that is if he or others read the forum, we have been having moc events up and down the country for over 30 yeaRs particularly advertised as such, infact I remember having so many cars on the derbishire event we needed 3 convoys. Keith you are doing a great service to the club continue please as Nick says other people need an incentive to join the club.

Comment

I read this thread this morning just after watching the BBC news item on a new classic car programme starting on Ch5 this week with Quenton Wilson stating classic car prices are going through the roof and a brilliant investment to have.
                          Perfect timing to promote the Marlin Owners Club and their cars with an event like this...
                          Keep going Keith.
                          Good luck.
                          Gareth.

Comment

Originally posted by keithh View Post
                            Hello Andy, If it is a question of liability, that would paint an unpleasant picture in that it would give the impression that the committee is happy for me to organise something for the enjoyment of members but if something went wrong they would be more than happy to 'leave me out to dry'. Nice. That is precisely why I asked permission to run the event and get the OK before I embarked upon organising it.
                            I'll still be supporting you regardless Keith. I was sad not be involved the LeJoG.

Most of us see this for what it is, an opportunity to raise funds for a worthy cause and a good bit of publicity for the MOC. If we all lived in fear of liability we wouldn't do anything.

(I'm now waiting for a response to my impertinence for posting on the Forum.)
                            Last edited by KitCarGirl; 20-02-15, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KitCarGirl View Post
                              I'll still be supporting you regardless Keith. I was sad not be involved the LeJoG.

Most of us see this for what it is, an opportunity to raise funds for a worthy cause and a good bit of publicity for the MOC. If we all lived in fear of liability we wouldn't do anything.

(I'm now waiting for a response to my impertinence for posting on the Forum.)
                              JHC, A ghost from the past.

I think I will re-join the MOC again as you cant beat a good bun fight.

As an ex member organising several events for the members and the "club"!! The club wont be needed if members cant arrange good fund raising driving events, shows etc if the committee continues to object, especially charity events. Things certainly haven't changed !!!

The Lotus/VX clubs will welcome new members with no restrictions, eg freedom of speech on forums and loads of events.

Comment

Thank you Sue for your support - I have added your name to the legs you have offered to cover (I can't help re-reading that sentence - there has got to be a suitable quip somewhere !?!!)

The irony in all this is unless I can get volunteers to fill the holes in the first, second and third legs, I will have to close it down anyway. The drivers to date are below. ( A question mark beside a name means the driver has volunteered to do that leg in addition to the one he has committed to if I can't fill the gap). So if you feel you can help to make this event happen please let me know. It is an early start and although I can make no promises I am trying to get some sponsored accommodation for the Friday night.

Leg Driver Name
                                A Lowestoft 1
                                B Thetford 1 Mike Garner
                                2 Mark Westbrook White
                                C St. Neots 1 Mark Westbrook White
                                2 Sue Roedel
                                3 Mike Garner ?
                                D Buckingham 1 Andy Freebody
                                2 Sue Roedel
                                3 Mel Perry ?
                                4 Ann & Brian Brooksby
                                E Chipping 1 Dave Peet
                                Camden 2 Mel Perry
                                3 Sue Roedel
                                F Hereford 1 Dane Crosby
                                2 Dave Clutterbook
                                3 Rob Aubrey
                                4 Peter Licence
                                5 Dave Licence
                                6 Tony Jones
                                7 Clive Martin
                                G Llandovery 1 Dane Crosby
                                2 Dave Clutterbook
                                3 Rob Aubrey
                                4 Peter Licence
                                5 Dave Licence
                                H St Davids
                                If you have volunteered and your name is not here please get in touch. I have been having problems with my email system and some things have not been getting through.

Keith
                                Last edited by keith_h; 20-02-15, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X