Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Start: Operation Phoenix - Marina Based MKII.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Start: Operation Phoenix - Marina Based MKII.

Thanks for letting me join.

Quick intro to my world:

Police recovered my Marlin in Feb 2015, after I lost track of it in 2007 (story behind this obviously ) But it is in a sorry state. Ruined or missing interior, seats and carpets, dashboard, engine, gearbox, starter motor, battery, fuel system, brakes, electrics, exhaust system, lighting, body parts and may need a repaint and new wheels and tires.

So I feel like I am starting over but this time at least with a rolling chassis and most of bodywork. So would really like to take advantage of club members' advice/experience on rebuild and help with locating new components.

First Priority is the replacement of the 1800cc B Series British Leyland engine and gearbox (from a 1.8 DL Morris Marina – BOU 408K). Want same, as engine mounts welded to chassis designed for this engine/gearbox configuration. But upgraded to run on Leaded petrol, and maybe a few tweaks to get some more HP and torque.

On first look, but I need to have a closer inspection over the weekend to itemize the full list of work I will need to undertake. So far, these are parts that I will need to replace:

1. The bonnet x 1 (single piece aluminum shaped to fit) + front grill

2. The front suspension covers x 2 (molded fiberglass)

3. The spare wheel x 1 (matches the other four which are no longer made) and the spare wheel cover

4. The steering wheel (leather covered small diameter, specifically for the car)

5. Flexible rubber coupling x1 for the steering shaft

6. Dashboard and all instruments

7. Stainless steel exhaust x1

8. Twin SU Carbs and manifold

9. Fuel tank and sender unit with matching fuel gauge - existing tank too rusted, have heard of purpose made ally tanks

First action is to draw up complete list of work to be done and estimated costs (and sources) of all required components. I never expected to ever see this car again, so I do not have a "Marlin Rebuild" fund, and I have been warned (very explicitly) about the other priorities in our household..... So this the beginning of a long but relaxed and pleasurable journey

My inspiration is:

Embrace failure - the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang way.

Many Thanks,

(Yet another) avid
    Attached Files

Re: The Start: Operation Phoenix - Marina Based MKII.

Hi and welcome to the club. As regards the fuel tank, I just had an ally one made for my Berlinetta. If you look in the build diary section under Berlinetta build and restoration, page 10, you can read about it. If you want more info than what is there just ask and I will try to help.
    Last edited by scott h; 26-02-15, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Hi I have a friend who breaks classic cars (Outrageous) but I do know he has an MGB engine in at the moment he may also have the gearbox although I know someone was after it.
      It will need a complete refurbishment as the car was standing for many years, he usually asks £100 for one, if it is of interest I will confirm price and availability for you.
      PS. I am in North Hertfordshire.

I also have a pair of Marina SU's knocking about which you are welcome to have free gratis and for nowt. which I am happy to bring along to Stoneleigh if you aren't local.

Good luck with your build.

Mark.

Comment

Thanks Scott, am new to this forum, so have not worked out where everything is, had a look but did not find your post, nor the specific 'Build Diary'. Could you send me a link (if you have one) to the company who built your tank for you?

I am based on planet Milton Keynes.

avid

Comment

Thanks Mark,

Please ask your friend with the mgb engine and gearbox to get in touch ([email protected]), cannot hurt to have a chat.

And yes please to your Marina SU's plus any other bits manifold etc. Will be at the Stoneleigh show this year, but could pick up sooner, drop me an email. I am in Milton Keynes.

avid.

Comment

Will do David.

My wife works in planet MK so if you need the carbs sooner I am sure you could pick them up from her.

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by mark.westbrookwhite View Post
              Will do David.

My wife works in planet MK so if you need the carbs sooner I am sure you could pick them up from her.

Mark.
              Whatever is easiest. Nothing is time critical at the moment. But I or my wife, Linda, could meet her somewhere this Friday or some other day, just let us know where and when.

Thanks,

avid

Comment

Originally posted by Waterscumbie View Post
                Thanks Scott, am new to this forum, so have not worked out where everything is, had a look but did not find your post, nor the specific 'Build Diary'. Could you send me a link (if you have one) to the company who built your tank for you?

I am based on planet Milton Keynes.

avid
                Hi David, I consider myself very much a novice when it comes to the internet but here is one way to find the build diary section.

On the Marlin club home page click Forum near the top right.
                The next page has a list of headings down the left, scroll down to the 6th which is build diaries and click it.
                The next page has a list of some (there are 2 pages) of the build diaries.
                Near the bottom you will find my Berlinetta build and restoration diary. Click the title.
                At the top of the thread, about 1/4 down the page as a whole, there is a list of pages.
                Click where it says last, this will take you to the current last post on page 11.
                The first post about the tank is on the previous page 10 with pics of the completed tank a few posts later on page 11.

The main points about the tank.

I used a company called Optimum Balance Products. Google obp motorsport. They do off the shelf tanks and also make them to a drawing that you supply, which is what I did. There is a section of their website that tells you points to consider when designing your own tank. My tank cost £200 plus carriage plus VAT which came to £260. It was delivered in about a week from when I paid for it.

There is another company that is similar. Google Alloy racing fabrications.

Hope that helps, Scott.

Comment

Oh no. Dun Dun Dhun! It's Captain Chaos!!

Hello David! Welcome to the club

(Full disclosure, fellow club members - David and I are old work colleagues and mates. His nick name on most of our IT projects was Captain Chaos. We never got him to wear the cape and mask though.)

Another option on the tanks - again, you supply a drawing, this chap makes it up for you. He's in Northampton. He's done my washer fluid reservoir and my coolant header tanks:

Jay Wolfe provides a professional and high quality bespoke metal fabrication service

Cheers,

Jason

Comment

Jason is currently heavily medicated , so I forgive him.

However I fully agree that he is a Marlin Nerd (or is it Guru?), of the highest caliber. When it comes to Sportsters.

But for anything else.........

avid

Comment

Closed - Going with the Mazda MX5 1.6i engine/gearbox combo, once I find the perfect one. But reserve the right to completely change my mind again after the Stoneleigh show. Hoo nose.

avid

Comment

Working...
                      X