The MARLIN of Dorian Gray......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray......

Constant velocity joints can work with different angles, UJ's on the other hand prefer the angles to be the same.

Comment

UJ's are stronger, cheaper and more compact than CV's. However UJ's cause the shaft to speed up and slow down during one revolution. This is usually dealt with by fitting a second UJ at the same angle which cancels out the speed changes of the first.

Constant Velocity joints, as the name suggests, keep the output shaft at a constant speed during one revolution, and so are suited to front wheel drive applications where the angle of one end (the wheel) is most of the time different to the input end.

Certain types of CV joints can slide to change the length of the shaft. This is handy in rear wheel drive independent suspension applications, where often the geometry of the suspension requires the drive shaft to change length as the suspension moves.
      Last edited by scott h; 05-07-20, 03:42 PM.

Comment

The MARLIN of Dorian Gray......Engine & Gearbox IN!

OK, Engine and gearbox now bolted into the engine bay, need to fabricate the gearbox mount to replace the Marina one made by Paul Moorhouse.

Was told by a Propshaft company that I need a custom built drive shaft that mates the MX5 gearbox to the Marina diff. Chap I spoke to made complete sense. Their estimate is circa £200.00 plus vat for new balanced one of the correct length.

So adding that to the cost of a new custom ally fuel tank (with sump to accommodate MX5 submerged fuel pump) plus new stainless exhaust manifold, down pipe and end can.
        MX5 engine in Marlin bay1.jpgMX5 engine in Marlin bay2.jpg

Comment

Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray......Engine & Gearbox IN!

Out of interest what peddle box are you using? Looks completely different to the Marina one
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
            Out of interest what peddle box are you using? Looks completely different to the Marina one
            Hi Andy.

Reused the three pedals from the MX5, but had to delete the servo, as space is tight. Covered the cutout left from the Marina pedal box with 4mm steel plate and drilled to take an adapter plate that allowed the MX5 Brake clynder to be fitted. Did same for master clutch cylinder, but had to insert a hardwood spacer and longer plunger bar to get the three pedals to align. They sit higher than the Marina pedals but are quite comfortable.

So have a complete Marina 1.8 Pedal box with master cylinders and working brake light switch. Clutch pedal was shortened to allow it to clear the wooden floor of the Marlin, when fully depressed.

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
              Hi David
              No physical progress so far. Have been at the planning stage for a few years........
              Too many distractions in life at the moment. I did not even put the car on the road this year due to other projects.
              Hopefully get things going after the summer.
              What are your plans for fuelling? Will you change the fuel tank for a custom made job with sump, baffles and fuel line return? Or go the swirl pot route?
              If you change the pedal box to mx5 will you need to change the steering column position or perhaps use the mx5 column?
              Trouble is every decision has a knock on effect which sends you round in circles.

Jon
              1. No decision on the fuel tank vs swirl pot as yet. Have to find a local(ish) tank fabrication company to discuss my options for a tank with a sump for the submerged MX5 fuel pump, so that the swirl pot is not necessary. Also may go for steel instead of ally, as the coming ethanol mix to UK petrol does bad things to ally tanks, or so I'm told, have to do a bit more research.

2. Went with the MX5 pedals and mountings. Had to make up a few items to get them to fit to the Marlin bulkhead and ditched the servo as no space for it, but turned out quite well. Fitting "Greeenstuff" pads to the front discs.

3. Made a "dog leg" for the Marina steering shaft to clear the air intake for the MX5.

4. Also need a new drive shaft to mate the MX5 gearbox to the Marina diff

5. Then need to look at a new exhaust manifold and exhaust

6. And on and on and on

Now learning all about brake pipe flaring

Comment

Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray...... ally vs steel fuel tank

Originally posted by Waterscumbietoo View Post
                1. No decision on the fuel tank vs swirl pot as yet. Have to find a local(ish) tank fabrication company to discuss my options for a tank with a sump for the submerged MX5 fuel pump, so that the swirl pot is not necessary. Also may go for steel instead of ally, as the coming ethanol mix to UK petrol does bad things to ally tanks, or so I'm told, have to do a bit more research.

2. Went with the MX5 pedals and mountings. Had to make up a few items to get them to fit to the Marlin bulkhead and ditched the servo as no space for it, but turned out quite well. Fitting "Greeenstuff" pads to the front discs.

3. Made a "dog leg" for the Marina steering shaft to clear the air intake for the MX5.

4. Also need a new drive shaft to mate the MX5 gearbox to the Marina diff

5. Then need to look at a new exhaust manifold and exhaust

6. And on and on and on

Now learning all about brake pipe flaring

OK, with all the talk of the Ethanol being added to UK unleaded petrol, any advice on if it is a good idea to have a custom ally tank or go for a steel one instead?

Comment

Doesn't ethanol absorb water cf whisky etc, that could be the prob with corrosion of the ali tanks?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
                    Doesn't ethanol absorb water cf whisky etc, that could be the prob with corrosion of the ali tanks?
                    And an even bigger problem with steel tanks which is probably why all of the manufacturers have plastic tanks. Probably best to get one of the motorsport bag tanks or just slosh the metal tanks with an ethanol proof coating... wishing I'd done mine when I swapped it a couple of years ago.

Comment

Aluminium and steel are not self sealing.
                      if you suffer a rear end collision in a roadster, disembark quickly.
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                        Aluminium and steel are not self sealing.
                        if you suffer a rear end collision in a roadster, disembark quickly.
                        Having had a rear end shunt in a Marlin I wouldn't worry, if they hit you hard enough to rupture the tank you'll probably be unconscious! if not badly injured!!

Comment

And an even bigger problem with steel tanks which is probably why all of the manufacturers have plastic tanks. Probably best to get one of the motorsport bag tanks or just slosh the metal tanks with an ethanol proof coating... wishing I'd done mine when I swapped it a couple of years ago.
                          Actually ethanol keep the tank drier as it keeps the water in solution instead of as a puddle at the bottom. Skoda, back in the days of their old rear engined models actually recommended adding ethanol in cold damp climates. Water can get into any petrol tank via the breather as vapour and can condense out.

Some metals, aluminium included can corrode in dry ethanol.

Plastic tanks are used because they are cheaper and can be blow molded to fit into inconvenient spaces.
                          Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Having had a rear end shunt in a Marlin I wouldn't worry, if they hit you hard enough to rupture the tank you'll probably be unconscious! if not badly injured!!
                            Been hit twice up the back, barely dented the bumper. You should see what it did to the other cars 'though

Comment

Took all pedals and brackets from the MX5 and made them fit in the Marlin bulkhead. Had to use a 4mm thick steel plate to fill in the hole left from the Marina pedal box and pad the clutch pedal out to make it line up with the brake pedal. Have now run new copper clutch and brake lines to front brakes.

Comment

Finally!

New custom propshaft is ready. Now to install, make up drive tunnel and floorboards and make new gearbox support bracket which will hang from the drive tunnel. Then run brake line to rear.

My next mission is designing new steel fuel tank to take Mazda submerged fuel pump and install flow and return fuel lines rated at 80psi for fuel injection.

Wish me luck
                                New custom propshaft.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X