Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray......

1. #21 Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray...... 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_cox View Post
    Hi David
    No physical progress so far. Have been at the planning stage for a few years........
    Too many distractions in life at the moment. I did not even put the car on the road this year due to other projects.
    Hopefully get things going after the summer.
    What are your plans for fuelling? Will you change the fuel tank for a custom made job with sump, baffles and fuel line return? Or go the swirl pot route?
    If you change the pedal box to mx5 will you need to change the steering column position or perhaps use the mx5 column?
    Trouble is every decision has a knock on effect which sends you round in circles.

Jon
    1. No decision on the fuel tank vs swirl pot as yet. Have to find a local(ish) tank fabrication company to discuss my options for a tank with a sump for the submerged MX5 fuel pump, so that the swirl pot is not necessary. Also may go for steel instead of ally, as the coming ethanol mix to UK petrol does bad things to ally tanks, or so I'm told, have to do a bit more research.

2. Went with the MX5 pedals and mountings. Had to make up a few items to get them to fit to the Marlin bulkhead and ditched the servo as no space for it, but turned out quite well. Fitting "Greeenstuff" pads to the front discs.

3. Made a "dog leg" for the Marina steering shaft to clear the air intake for the MX5.

4. Also need a new drive shaft to mate the MX5 gearbox to the Marina diff

5. Then need to look at a new exhaust manifold and exhaust

6. And on and on and on

Now learning all about brake pipe flaring
    Up from the ashes grow the Roses of Success !

2. #22 Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray...... ally vs steel fuel tank 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterscumbietoo View Post
    1. No decision on the fuel tank vs swirl pot as yet. Have to find a local(ish) tank fabrication company to discuss my options for a tank with a sump for the submerged MX5 fuel pump, so that the swirl pot is not necessary. Also may go for steel instead of ally, as the coming ethanol mix to UK petrol does bad things to ally tanks, or so I'm told, have to do a bit more research.

2. Went with the MX5 pedals and mountings. Had to make up a few items to get them to fit to the Marlin bulkhead and ditched the servo as no space for it, but turned out quite well. Fitting "Greeenstuff" pads to the front discs.

3. Made a "dog leg" for the Marina steering shaft to clear the air intake for the MX5.

4. Also need a new drive shaft to mate the MX5 gearbox to the Marina diff

5. Then need to look at a new exhaust manifold and exhaust

6. And on and on and on

Now learning all about brake pipe flaring

OK, with all the talk of the Ethanol being added to UK unleaded petrol, any advice on if it is a good idea to have a custom ally tank or go for a steel one instead?

3. #23 Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray...... ally vs steel fuel tank 
    club member Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    Doesn't ethanol absorb water cf whisky etc, that could be the prob with corrosion of the ali tanks?

4. #24 Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray...... ally vs steel fuel tank 
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stott View Post
    Doesn't ethanol absorb water cf whisky etc, that could be the prob with corrosion of the ali tanks?
    And an even bigger problem with steel tanks which is probably why all of the manufacturers have plastic tanks. Probably best to get one of the motorsport bag tanks or just slosh the metal tanks with an ethanol proof coating... wishing I'd done mine when I swapped it a couple of years ago.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

5. #25 Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray...... ally vs steel fuel tank 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Aluminium and steel are not self sealing.
    if you suffer a rear end collision in a roadster, disembark quickly.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

6. #26 Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray...... ally vs steel fuel tank 
    Quote Originally Posted by stevejgreen View Post
    Aluminium and steel are not self sealing.
    if you suffer a rear end collision in a roadster, disembark quickly.
    Having had a rear end shunt in a Marlin I wouldn't worry, if they hit you hard enough to rupture the tank you'll probably be unconscious! if not badly injured!!
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

7. #27 Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray...... ally vs steel fuel tank 
    club member Club Member boustrophedon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    And an even bigger problem with steel tanks which is probably why all of the manufacturers have plastic tanks. Probably best to get one of the motorsport bag tanks or just slosh the metal tanks with an ethanol proof coating... wishing I'd done mine when I swapped it a couple of years ago.
    Actually ethanol keep the tank drier as it keeps the water in solution instead of as a puddle at the bottom. Skoda, back in the days of their old rear engined models actually recommended adding ethanol in cold damp climates. Water can get into any petrol tank via the breather as vapour and can condense out.

Some metals, aluminium included can corrode in dry ethanol.

Plastic tanks are used because they are cheaper and can be blow molded to fit into inconvenient spaces.
    Formally DonSayers on here.

8. #28 Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray...... ally vs steel fuel tank 
    club member Club Member
    Having had a rear end shunt in a Marlin I wouldn't worry, if they hit you hard enough to rupture the tank you'll probably be unconscious! if not badly injured!!
    Been hit twice up the back, barely dented the bumper. You should see what it did to the other cars 'though

9. #29 Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray......Engine & Gearbox IN! 
    club member Club Member
    Out of interest what peddle box are you using? Looks completely different to the Marina one
    Took all pedals and brackets from the MX5 and made them fit in the Marlin bulkhead. Had to use a 4mm thick steel plate to fill in the hole left from the Marina pedal box and pad the clutch pedal out to make it line up with the brake pedal. Have now run new copper clutch and brake lines to front brakes.

10. #30 Re: The MARLIN of Dorian Gray...... 
    club member Club Member
    Finally!

New custom propshaft is ready. Now to install, make up drive tunnel and floorboards and make new gearbox support bracket which will hang from the drive tunnel. Then run brake line to rear.

My next mission is designing new steel fuel tank to take Mazda submerged fuel pump and install flow and return fuel lines rated at 80psi for fuel injection.

Wish me luck
    New custom propshaft.jpg