This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Engine & Gearbox for MKII Marina based Roadster

My Roadster had engine mounts welded to the chassis to take the B series Leyland 1800cc engine and gearbox - so while I am looking to replace these (and have it converted to run on unleaded petrol), also thought it worthwhile to look for a few alternatives as the 1800cc is a heavy lump for the HP and torque it puts out.

Have seen many comments as to alternatives, but none with enough detail to allow me to understand what alternative engine & gearbox combinations have actually been fitted by owners. - The leyland gearbox just about fits in the narrow transmission tunnel and I do not want to have to make it any wider.

Many Thanks,

avid - Milton Keynes

Re: Alternative Engine & Gearbox for MKII Marina based Roadster

Possibly the most talked about in the Zetec/Type 9 conversion. The gearbox is only fractionally bigger and will fit in a 'standard' Roadster transmission tunnel. A good resource is to do a google search for Zetecinside which describes the conversion of a Zetec to RWD. It's not a quick or cheap solution. One member who has done it is Chris Dow.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
      Possibly the most talked about in the Zetec/Type 9 conversion. The gearbox is only fractionally bigger and will fit in a 'standard' Roadster transmission tunnel. A good resource is to do a google search for Zetecinside which describes the conversion of a Zetec to RWD. It's not a quick or cheap solution. One member who has done it is Chris Dow.
      Thanks Steve,

But you lost me at "It's not a quick or cheap solution"

Looks like I need to keep hunting. Have a possible lead on an 1800cc MGB engine, but early days.

avid

Comment

Whilst the MGB engine is the same B series there are some subtle differences. Everything from the starter motor and backplate rearwards is specific to the MGB gearbox, which is larger than the Marina/Triumph setup. I would seriously consider the Zetec option if you have no existing engine and gearbox.The only downside is that the standard Marina axle will be close to its power limit but parts are available for a full refurb.

Comment

B series seem to be getting expensive these days or is it just me..?

I think you need to decide what your budget is and how much work you want to put in/are comfortable doing.

Converting a Roadster to modern EFI power is quite an undertaking and costs rapidly mount. Whilst new Zetecs are available for relatively little (c£800) add on the cost of aftermarket ECU, exhaust, gearbox, wiring, fuel lines, swirl pots, plumbing etc etc. As an indication JLH sell a 170bhp Zetec kit for the Moggie Minor at just shy of £4k...to which you need to add a gearbox plus whatever work it takes to wire & plumb in.

How about an MX5 engine & box..? Complete sets for £200-300 on eBay (cheaper than B series!)...I think that's the way I'd go...or perhaps Omega 2.0/2.2.

And if upgrading power significantly consider what else may need uprating to cope, e.g. brakes..!
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi David
            I have fitted a Zetec black top to my short wheel base roadster I must admit this is not a cheap option and I have done quite a bit of fetteling to get it in, moved the brake servo and redesigned the steering column to run under the bike carbs but you may not need to do this if you go injection. If you wanted to go to a more modern engine have a look at the Mazda mx5 this may be a bit less costly as type 9 gearboxes seem to be going up in price rapidly,bike carbs and manifold are not cheap, neither is the nodiz engine management just to name a few of the more costly items. If you are coming along to the SEMS meeting at the weekend I can talk you though it my car should be on the road beginning of April but you are welcome to come and have a look at the car in my workshop.
            Regards Angus

Comment

Try this Ebay item 190182751516 also follow links. Makes the old A series into a modern motor.

All for around £1200.

Originally posted by Waterscumbie View Post
              My Roadster had engine mounts welded to the chassis to take the B series Leyland 1800cc engine and gearbox - so while I am looking to replace these (and have it converted to run on unleaded petrol), also thought it worthwhile to look for a few alternatives as the 1800cc is a heavy lump for the HP and torque it puts out.

Have seen many comments as to alternatives, but none with enough detail to allow me to understand what alternative engine & gearbox combinations have actually been fitted by owners. - The leyland gearbox just about fits in the narrow transmission tunnel and I do not want to have to make it any wider.

Many Thanks,

avid - Milton Keynes
              Last edited by listerjp2; 03-03-15, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Just put my MGZR 160 VVC back on the road after a winter of driving 4 x 4 !!!

loads of power and bucket fulls of torque

think that there is a conversion to fit it fore and aft !!!

Comment

Originally posted by dbazdavies View Post
                  Just put my MGZR 160 VVC back on the road after a winter of driving 4 x 4 !!!

loads of power and bucket fulls of torque

think that there is a conversion to fit it fore and aft !!!
                  What is it, and where do I find out more?

Thanks,

avid

Comment

Originally posted by angusgrooby View Post
                    Hi David
                    I have fitted a Zetec black top to my short wheel base roadster I must admit this is not a cheap option and I have done quite a bit of fetteling to get it in, moved the brake servo and redesigned the steering column to run under the bike carbs but you may not need to do this if you go injection. If you wanted to go to a more modern engine have a look at the Mazda mx5 this may be a bit less costly as type 9 gearboxes seem to be going up in price rapidly,bike carbs and manifold are not cheap, neither is the nodiz engine management just to name a few of the more costly items. If you are coming along to the SEMS meeting at the weekend I can talk you though it my car should be on the road beginning of April but you are welcome to come and have a look at the car in my workshop.
                    Regards Angus
                    Yup. Will be at the SEMS, will take you up on your offer, thanks.

avid

Comment

I've got a 1275 Spridget lump with matching gearbox (very narrow) in my Roadster. Even managed to fit Spridget rad using the original hoses ! Standard Spridget propshaft with rear flange changed for Marina item (same UJ). Mounts on Marlin chassis in same position as B Series engine mounts as they are on front plate of the Spridget version and therefore a shortened Mini LCB fits

Comment

Originally posted by Waterscumbie View Post
                        What is it, and where do I find out more?

Thanks,

avid
                        I found a reference on the Minor Mania site... looks like you can mate it to a Ford type 9 gearbox.
                        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions. Have discovered so much great info.

Having had a look at the cost, complexity and effort to fit an alternative to the B Series Engine/Gearbox, have decided to rebuild/refurbish what I have left of the existing engine/gearbox and source missing components from wherever I can find them.

Upside is that I have an excuse to buy tools that I have always wanted, but could never justify to my 'Financial Controller'

avid

Comment

Parts for Marina B series engines are pretty available through the MGB route, some parts for the Marina gearbox are available through Triumph dealers but the gear sets are different. 1st point of failure is probably the reverse idler gear, ow which there are a couple of choices.
                            The lads over on FastMarina, the forum for the Moris Marina Owners Club, should be able to point you in the right direction, several have rebuilt original gearboxes with complete new parts.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                              Parts for Marina B series engines are pretty available through the MGB route, some parts for the Marina gearbox are available through Triumph dealers but the gear sets are different. 1st point of failure is probably the reverse idler gear, ow which there are a couple of choices.
                              The lads over on FastMarina, the forum for the Moris Marina Owners Club, should be able to point you in the right direction, several have rebuilt original gearboxes with complete new parts.
                              Nothing but Good News!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X