Alfa to MG engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfa to MG engine swap

Hi, new boy here looking for advice / info.

I have MK2 roadster with a dead Alfa 1750 engine and gearbox fitted. I am thinking of repairing the engine but parts are getting rather expensive now and I do not have huge amounts of money to throw at the engine alone.

Another option is to replace the whole lot with a MGB 1800 engine and overdrive box that I have been offered in GWO.

Can anyone tell/show me what engine and gearbox mounts or modifications will be required to do this swap.

Any/all advice gratefully received

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Blue Marlin; 11-03-15, 09:56 PM.
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Re: Alfa to MG engine swap

Keep the alfa should be cheaper and easier than changing the whole lot - and an alfa engined car is more desirable should you wish to sell it - after all the Marlin was designed along the lines of the 1937 Alfa Romeo 1750 !!

Comment

Also Alfa engines and more so gearboxes are hard to find and expensive to buy !!

Comment

I'd keep the Alfa if possible.
        1600 version on fleabay if that helps.
        B series is a boat-anchor...and you'll no doubt run into unbudgeted costs if converting. O/D box will require tunnel/floor mods.
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
          B series is a boat-anchor...and you'll no doubt run into unbudgeted costs if converting. O/D box will require tunnel/floor mods.
          Have to agree. Stick with what you have got, not a new can of worms.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

There will be hidden costs with putting a B engine in - like propshaft, exhaust and mounts, rad hoses etc. The Alfa engines are pretty robust and not difficult to rebuild particularly. You may find some help here... http://www.duettoinfo.com/alfa_romeo...op/1008-R2.pdf or here http://www.duettoinfo.com/alfa_romeo.../shop/1470.pdf
            Engine spares are available too http://www.ebspares.co.uk/alfa105/1750engine.cfm
            Last edited by cameronfurnival; 12-03-15, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I've had 3 x MGB GT's and the engines aren't anything to rave about. In fact I've replaced the 1.8TC engine in my Roadster with the 1275 engine out of my Sprite !

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                this engine is from the later model model with the gearbox in the rear axle - if you look at the pics you will see the long bolts by the flywheel where the rubber coupling fits

Comment

Thanks guys, sound advice and picked up some knowledge also, re later engine.
                  I think I'll pull the Alfa and have a good look and have a go at a repair / mild rebuild. The engine had good compession on all 4 cylinders (175-180) when I laid it up for a rewire. When I tried to start after 1 & 2 had both dropped to 65-70. Pulled head had it skimmed, replaced 40+ year old gasket etc and then no change. Suspect rings as I put compressed air down plug holes and I am pretty sure I can hear it leaking out the oil filler. Should be interesting, bit new at engine rebuilds
                  I do remember when my pal built a roadster with a Marina 1800 SC (Minnowfish carb fitted) and I had a Dutton Phaeton his could drink like a fish, no pun intended. He did manage to fit an MGB overdrive box to the Marina engine by getting a new engine back plate made.
                  I must try and find some old pics and start a "Where is it now thread" if I can see the reg.
                  Rambling now .

Comment

Have you tried some redex down the bores - could be the rings are seized in the pistons - I've seen engines with no compression on the cylinders restored to full strength after redex/WD40 has been poured down the bores and left to soak in... It helps if you can run the engine as this will help the engine get warm and expand and the rings should free themselves !!!..

Comment

I tried that before I removed the head. I actually used Marvel Mystery Oil as I read it was really good. I used the whole litre over about a week, added some, turned the engine over by hand and so on. I did get the engine to start once although it had outstanding carb problems that made it a pig to start when it had full compression. The smoke was impressive.
                      I am still quite suspisious that stuck rings may be the issue though.

Comment

I would be tempted to give it a complete going over. You will enjoy the process of fitting new rings etc and if you get stuck IM sure there are many willing volunteers to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Marlin View Post
                          I tried that before I removed the head. I actually used Marvel Mystery Oil as I read it was really good. I used the whole litre over about a week, added some, turned the engine over by hand and so on. I did get the engine to start once although it had outstanding carb problems that made it a pig to start when it had full compression. The smoke was impressive.
                          I am still quite suspisious that stuck rings may be the issue though.
                          Would be inclined to try and get it running first and see if the rings free up - rather than spend lots of money, as you have done the cylinder head - like I said have seen a few Rolls /Royce 6 cyclinder engines come back to life when they had no comp at all !!

Comment

Thanks again for the helpful words. I think I will remove the engine and see what I can learn. It will be a pleasant escape from "The Real Housewives of Wherever" that the females of my house are addicted to.

Derek

Comment

Working...
                            X