Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine change.

Hi,

I have a Ford 2.0 litre DOHC which is rattling when cold and does not stop until I have covered 15 miles.
    I have read about using Wynn's tappet additive, not sure about its effectiveness, perhaps the community could advise?
    Other than that what would be a good replacement engine, my gearbox is a MT75?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Mike.

Re: Engine change.

Hi Mike - add about a cupful of ATF fluid, run the engine till warm and it will free off the stuck tappets. I know this works as I have that engine and it worked for me. The wynns stuff is actually just ATF with a bit of detergent or so I'm told.

Once its happy I would recommend an oil change.

PS The best engine swap would be a zetec with the MT75 box.

Comment

Zetec swap is OK if you have enough cash to pay for it. See how the ATF/Wynns goes, it cured my noisey tappets.

Comment

not as much as they once were, I think we will see more of these engines in kit cars as older metal wears out. Here's one...

Comment

True, but you will need ECU, wiring harness, new exhaust manifold, water rail to re-locate thermostat, engine mounts, spigot bearing, alternator bracket, probably starter motor. It starts to mount up particularly if you buy new components.
          I'm not sure if the injection side of things of a zetec fits too well under a Marlin bonnet to there is carbs/throttle bodies to consider,and if you take that route you will need an after market ECU.
          I'm not saying its impossible, but it ain't cheap and you need to consider if its worth the effort against the cost of getting the current lump re-built by an engine re-manufacturer.
          There are some Zetec powered Marlins so maybe they could provide some input.

Comment

The engines them selves are cheap but once you start adding all your axilerys this is when it gets expensive,price all the things you need from burtons and I think you will get a shock but you can do things yourself e.g. Chop the sump yourself instead of a expensive aluminum one run it on bike carbs use the old ford ecu etc etc but I think the big advantage is that once you have done it and swallowed the expense if the engine goses bang you just buy a second hand one and off you go again these engines will be in ready supply for many years to come as they are so popular you can even buy brand new ones!

Comment

Chris you beat me to it by a few minutes ha ha

Comment

Zetec is old technology now. If you can stomach the costs as outlined above for all the gubbins required for the RWD conversion you would be better off using the Duratec. Plus the added advantage the Duratec has the exhaust on the drivers side so no need to change the steering linkage. You can get these in 2.0 litre form for around £200. Also, the Mazda MX5 MK3 6 speed gearbox bolts straight on as the MX5 uses a Duratec engine.
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

If Wikipedia is to be believed the Duratec is actually a Mazda designed engine (Mazda L series).
                  I believe it is also taller & bulkier than a Zetec, which may or may not be an issue depending on how much (a quick Googling session didn't throw up any definitive answers).
                  Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                  Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi,
                    Thank you all for your comments, very much appreciated.
                    I enquired about "Wynn's tappet additive" and have been told by local motor factors this product is not made or available.
                    I did a search of the "Wynn's" site and found nothing of that name listed amongst their product range.

Kind regards
                    Mike.

Comment

Search eBay for "Hydraulic valve lifter" and you will find a vast array of treatments, additives and concentrates from the likes of Wynn oils etc....
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

you can get it in Halfords

Originally posted by Mickaleen View Post
                        Hi,
                        Thank you all for your comments, very much appreciated.
                        I enquired about "Wynn's tappet additive" and have been told by local motor factors this product is not made or available.
                        I did a search of the "Wynn's" site and found nothing of that name listed amongst their product range.

Kind regards
                        Mike.

Comment

Another old trick to quieten noisy lifters is to change your engine oil for diesel engine oil, it's well known for its detergent additives. Run your car for a few hundred miles and then revert back to your favourite oil, it does work sometimes and doesn't take a lot of effort.
                          On the mg/rover forum it is always recommended as K series engines suffer from noisy lifters, or take them out strip and clean them, it's a nice time consuming job.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you all again for your help, I am very grateful.
                            Kind regards
                            Mike.

Comment

Working...
                            X