Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Operation Blown Fuse Replacement: the total rebuild diary of a Marina based Roadster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Blown Fuse Replacement: the total rebuild diary of a Marina based Roadster.

Hello all

Falling from Charybde to Scylla when I tried to fix things on the Roadster I bought from a german guy last november, all turned to be clear: It would be a complete rebuild.

The car received its V5 in 1984 but prior that experienced a complicated birth: hole drilled and closed with mastic or left open everywhere, screws and nuts of very different quality from new stainless metric to used imperial, electric harness taken roughtly from the donor car and stretched to the limit...

Yes Cameron, you were right, nothing but a complete rebuild was mandatory

I was advised to open a diary, so here it is.

Now the beauty is totally nacked, the serious game will begin with de-rusting and repainting.

On the kitchen table Santa returned in April and all the necessary stuff for a brand new electric harness was received from English suppliers.

Stay tuned
    Attached Files

Re: Operation Blown Fuse Replacement: the total rebuild diary of a Marina based Roads

OK looks like fun...what sort of time scale have you set to finish it ?

Should we put this thread in with the build diaries ?

Rgds DC

Comment

Re: Operation Blown Fuse Replacement: the total rebuild diary of a Marina based Roads

Yes indeed you can!

Time scale... I would like that everything should be done this year.

CAD work and chassis refurbishing should be carried out this month and during my holidays in may, let say that october is a fair target for first road tests.

Christophe.

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
      OK looks like fun...what sort of time scale have you set to finish it ?

Should we put this thread in with the build diaries ?

Rgds DC

Comment

Dashboard temporary CAD drawing, before laser cutting of alu sheet.

The dashboard features two 3mm sheets: a frontal one to hold the gauges, warnings and switchs, and a structural one behind so that stiffness of the assembly is sufficent for 4 point holding (2 lateral and 2 top) and for withstanding weight and vibrations. I did that because Lucas switches can not stand more than 3mm of panel thickness. A single piece made of 5mm would have been much less expensive.

Marlin_TdB_03.jpg

All smiths electronic classic gauges:
        - Tacho 80mm on the right, Speedo 80mm on the left
        - Right side: water temperature and fuel level
        - Left side: voltage and engine head temperature

Santa made faces at me, but this would be AGAIN Xmas in may

Christophe.

Comment

I cant wait to see how that turns out

Comment

Make sure you have room to hold the gearstick in first and third gear without bashing your hand on the lower centre of the dash.
            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hello David.

I indeed took this in account, and therefore I reproduced the overall dimensions of the existing MDF dashboard, leaving enough room under for gearstick operation.

And I'll use a thin rubber edge trim around the frontal sheet to prevent accidents

Christophe.

Originally posted by David View Post
              Make sure you have room to hold the gearstick in first and third gear without bashing your hand on the lower centre of the dash.

Comment

Hello Cameron.

I'll do my best to maintain this diary as pleaseant to read as I can

To do: learn to use... a digital camera.

Christophe.

Comment

If you can prepare CAD drawings like that, then Digital photos will not be a problem !

Looks very impressive.

Mike

Originally posted by DamnedFrog View Post
                  Hello Cameron.

I'll do my best to maintain this diary as pleaseant to read as I can

To do: learn to use... a digital camera.

Christophe.

Comment

Good work today !

- All paints (chassis/engine-gbox/manifold/radiator), primers, rust removers, cleaners and alu varnish ordered from RESTOM, a specialized French manufacturer with a very good reputation for classic car chemicals.

- CAD design of dashboard is completed and transmitted for quotation of laser cutting (green:face/yellow:structure/magenta:dashboard and electricals holders)

Marlin_TdB_05.jpg

Stay tuned

Comment

Hello all

CAD of wiring loom is done.

Now let's wait for alu sheets to build dashboard, engine control panel and core circuit:

SchemaElec03.jpg

Christophe.

Comment

Hello All

Not much time to work on the Marlin these days...

The dashboard arrived, the work carried out by the laser cutting company is astonishing:

Dashboard01.jpg

The former water tap on the intake was removed with the milling machine, since it was locked by corrosion, and replaced by a threaded brass coupler.

Intake01.jpg

I'm searching for a pair of rear brake drums (1979 Morris Marina) but it seems that these parts are out of stock everywhere.

Regards,
                        Christophe.

Comment

Originally posted by DamnedFrog View Post
                          Hello All

I'm searching for a pair of rear brake drums (1979 Morris Marina) but it seems that these parts are out of stock everywhere.

Regards,
                          Christophe.
                          I am also looking for a pair of these, best option so far;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MAR...-/291222137272

or;

http://www.earlpart.co.uk/catalogue%20marina.pdf

David.
                          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Have you tried http://www.broadfields2000.co.uk/ they stock a lot of BMC parts.

Rosbif.

Comment

e bay items 161310371284 and 161188629887

Comment

Working...
                              X