Finding some 185/70 13 tyres...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding some 185/70 13 tyres...

Last weekend I noticed my tyres were new in 2002, that's probably not good. They look OK, no splits, good tread but do feel a bit hard.

Anyway, after two hours popping in and out of the usual tyre supplier clones (KwikFit, National, etc) all I came up with was a budget brand I've never heard of or some Firestones which have to be ordered.

So the questions are;

- Are 185/70 13 the standard Roadster size?
    - Where do you get your tyres and what brand do you go for?

I have done the usual forum search, but nothing obvious... I seem to recall my Triumph Vitesse having 175/70's on it.

David.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Finding some 185/70 13 tyres...

IIRC the wings were designed with 185*70*13 in mind...and 175 or 185 seem to be the most commonly fitted.
    Options for 13" seem a bit more limited now than back in the 80's but they are still around. Premium brands - Toyo do one (350) as do Yokohama (A021R - much favoured by Sevenistas) and Avon CR222 (used on Caterham club-spec racers I think).
    More options in the budget/lesser-known brands though (Maxxis, Nexen, Marshal)...depends how much you have to spend, driving style & available power..!

Some ideas here.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thanks for that, very helpful. Sees most places want £20 tyre to balance and fit so I'll have to factor that in.

The car has a 2ltr Triumph Vitesse engine, so not massive power and key fling it around days are mostly over so I'll aim for a middle of the road brand.
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
        Thanks for that, very helpful. Sees most places want £20 tyre to balance and fit so I'll have to factor that in.

The car has a 2ltr Triumph Vitesse engine, so not massive power and key fling it around days are mostly over so I'll aim for a middle of the road brand.
        Yes that is the correct tyres.

I get mine from my daughters Father in Law, Amalgamated Tyres in Piddington. Ask for Bob, mention me to him.

Give him a bell first 01494 882803

If he hasn't got them he can get them in the next day, reasonable price as well.

Adrian

Comment

I have just gone down the route of replacing my wheels and tyres. I ordered mine from pnuestyresonline.com I went for Falken tyres in the end as they seemed very reasonable and middle of the road. Ordering is dead easy and you have a choice of tyres only price or fully fitted price. Tyres will be delivered to your door or at a tyre fitters of your choice if you go for fully fitted, usually within 5 working days. I went for tyres only and was quoted £10/ tyre fully fitted and balanced by my local tyre fitters. You could also try black circles or camskill.

Comment

Thanks Adrian, that's five minutes from me so ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by christopher.bogue2011 View Post
              I have just gone down the route of replacing my wheels and tyres. I ordered mine from pnuestyresonline.com I went for Falken tyres in the end as they seemed very reasonable and middle of the road. Ordering is dead easy and you have a choice of tyres only price or fully fitted price. Tyres will be delivered to your door or at a tyre fitters of your choice if you go for fully fitted, usually within 5 working days. I went for tyres only and was quoted £10/ tyre fully fitted and balanced by my local tyre fitters. You could also try black circles or camskill.
              Thanks Christopher.

Comment

Originally posted by christopher.bogue2011 View Post
                Good choice, my wheels are shod with Falken.

David I got these from Amalgamated.

Adrian

Comment

I went for goodgrips as I was limited on budget and so far I've been impressed with them.
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                    I went for goodgrips as I was limited on budget and so far I've been impressed with them.
                    BF Goodridge do you mean? They only seem to have 185/70's in 14" on their web site.

I found these Firestones;

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyre...-r13-86t-67954

Comment

have you tried mytyres.com? german outfit, with an office around oxford, normally 2 day service, I got mine fitted to my eurobox for £5 a corner with ETB, you may have one around your locale!

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                        Good choice, my wheels are shod with Falken.

David I got these from Amalgamated.

Adrian
                        I've ordered 5 of these (70 profile) from Bob at Amalgamated, no Falkens listed and none of the other big brands. But these look good with C ratings and Bob's happy that they are decent tyres.

Check Nexen N'Blue Eco tyres on our page and learn more about their properties. Read latest reviews about this model. It will definitely help you to make a choice regarding your new tyres. Lowest prices and free delivery!

David.
                        PS He's also happy to fit only if anyone wants to source their own.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                          I've ordered 5 of these (70 profile) from Bob at Amalgamated, no Falkens listed and none of the other big brands. But these look good with C ratings and Bob's happy that they are decent tyres.

Check Nexen N'Blue Eco tyres on our page and learn more about their properties. Read latest reviews about this model. It will definitely help you to make a choice regarding your new tyres. Lowest prices and free delivery!

David.
                          PS He's also happy to fit only if anyone wants to source their own.
                          Cheap as chips and if he says they are good I would trust him.

He's old school.

Adrian

Comment

Duh, I got it wrong they are Autogrips... real cheep budget tyres...
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

New tyres fitted, her in doors not happy at the spend, but at least I've reduced the likelihood of ending up in a ditch.

I can recommend Bob, good bloke with old skool values and good knowledge of his trade.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X