Fitted a Power Socket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitted a Power Socket

In preparation for the C2C at the end of the month I decided to wire in a power socket so that I can power my phone while it's playing at being Mr Sat Nav

20150430_210208.jpg
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Re: Fitted a Power Socket

I fitted a triple socket under the dash as my phone is playing at being Mr. speedo The Triumph one has given up the ghost and they want £75 to refurbish it.
    The other two sockets are for my TomTom Sat Nav. and my GoPro camera. I hope the battery can cope with this lot!

Comment

I added a socket, then rewired a trickle charger in the roof of my garage and used the socket to keep the battery charged. Useful as it did not mean removing the engine cover to access the battery, and an obvious reminder, when you got in the car, that the charger was connected.
      The idea might not suit everyone, but it worked for me.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

That's a good idea
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

That's the first thing I put into the Marlin when I got it.
          Attached Files
          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
            That's a good idea
            Charger was plugged into a twin socket directly above the cockpit, secured by a cable lie so it didn't fall out, the cable was pretty obvious as I wrapped it in yellow spiral.
            Alongside the charger was a socket for an inspection lamp, it was always available with no cables dragging on the floor or trapped under a tyre.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              I added a socket, then rewired a trickle charger in the roof of my garage and used the socket to keep the battery charged. Useful as it did not mean removing the engine cover to access the battery, and an obvious reminder, when you got in the car, that the charger was connected.
              The idea might not suit everyone, but it worked for me.
              Steve

Having a dash mounted plug-in charger socket sounds interesting. I already have the cigarette lighter socket - where did you get the plug to go into the socket that connected back to the charger?

Also like the idea of a twin 240v socket suspended from the garage roof - less cables trailing over the bench and in the way of walking around the car. Good idea.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Steve

Having a dash mounted plug-in charger socket sounds interesting. I already have the cigarette lighter socket - where did you get the plug to go into the socket that connected back to the charger?

Also like the idea of a twin 240v socket suspended from the garage roof - less cables trailing over the bench and in the way of walking around the car. Good idea.

Mike
                No idea now exactly where it came from, my first guess would be in my 12v rummage box, possibly a rewritable one from an old inverter that was subsequently hard wired.

ebay must be a source, but what do you call them.

the ow side to the installation is that when the car is not in the garage you have to dodge around a couple of hanging cables at chest height.
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I already have the cigarette lighter socket - where did you get the plug to go into the socket that connected back to the charger?

Mike
                  Hi Mike, cigar lighter plugs are readily available - you would just have to cobble together a plug and socket to replace the croc clips on the battery charger. In fact, chop off the croc clip leads and put a fag lighter plug on then get a female fag lighter so you can still connect the charger in the normal way. Total cost about a fiver.
                  $_57.JPG

51JTMqI4v+L._SL1000_.jpg

Comment

I got a power socket with crocodile clips on,routed it trough bulkhead by battery compartment and a triple one with usb to plug into that. then when we go out just connect the clips to the battery then we got power for everythin..

Comment

Working...
                    X