Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Berlinetta restoration

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
  1. #101 New grille and almost finished the paint 
    frequent forum contributor
    Hopefully the final day of paint today. I will then spend a couple of days buffing to get a nice shine although I have to say 2K solid colour does come out nice straight from the gun.
    Meanwhile I bought a role of Stainless wire mesh to make a nice shiny grille. I have loads left so if anyone wants it? (I have used 1/4 of a square meter but cut it on the bias so the chunk missing means almost 60cm chunk taken out). It cost about 40 for the whole sheet and I reckon there are at least two more grilles to be got out of it. And yes, here's a pic...The new colour is a nice classic Old English White.

grille-Berli.JPG

2. #102 Re: New grille and almost finished the paint 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar
    I love the 'old white' colours, we had one of the new Mini's (the Clubvan) in Pepper White as BMW call it.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

3. #103 Mini window regulator 
    Refitting the doors today and everything seemed to go ok - well mostly.
    The passenger door glass wont stay up - the regulator just allows it to drop - question is - what have I done? It was working fine before I cleaned it! All the springs seem ok - ie not detached or broken?
    Advice gratefully received!

PS the choice of OEW as the colour was influenced by my missus's new mini - in white!

4. #104 Re: Mini window regulator 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    The window dropping is surely the springs not doing their job properly? I would take another look and maybe compare it to the one that works.

5. #105 Re: Mini window regulator 
    Club Member
    Hi Scott, that's what I thought too but there is no difference between the two regulators I can see?? I was confused because it was stiff in the frame before I took it apart. The only think I can think off is the old window strips were holding it up, now they are new and smooth that no longer is the case. I shall just have to get another one.

Glad I finished painting last week as it about freezing today!

6. #106 Re: Mini window regulator 
    From memory each arm has a coil spring. I wonder if you could wind it up so to speak by turning each one an extra turn?

7. #107 Re: Mini window regulator 
    Problem solved. I had inadvertently swapped the winding regulator mechanisms from side to side! The springs help raise the window and now that I have swapped them over I see the mechanisms work really well.
    Meanwhile I am unhappy with the repair to the door I made. I reinforced the hinges on both doors but the passenger door is not so good. There is still some minor movement in the metal so I am going to look out for a better door before I strip it and repair again.
    Paint is coming on well, just rubbing out the last of the orange peel to get the shine back, I don't want it too shiny as I don't want that plasticky 2k look.
    The wheels were another thing letting the car down so I have got hold of some multispoke alloys to replace them with. If anyone would like a set of 5 BBS style compomotives in excellent condition (but painted a kind of grey) let me know and I will get my bartering cap out. They currently have a set of unworn 195/60/15s on which I may transfer to the new set, let's see what happens. Will try and get some pics up soon.

8. #108 Re: Mini window regulator 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member angusgrooby's Avatar
    Hi Cameron, would there be any chance of a picture of your top wishbones please they do not look like mine standard cortina, looks as if you have adjustable wishbones. Thinking of getting some adjustable ones made to correct the negative camber on mine so some pictures would be good.
    Thanks

9. #109 Re: Mini window regulator 
    Yes they are the adjustable ones Very nifty... Here are some pics...

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

10. #110 Re: Mini window regulator 
    Ooo, liking the look of your new wheels, could you say the style and where they are from please?
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349