No announcement yet.

Berlinetta restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Berlinetta doors cracking and splitting - any fixes?

Exhausting!
    The lovely 4-2-1 exhaust was causing me some grief, it just isn't right! This car was obviously built to a pretty good spec yet the solution to teh exhaust fouling the steering column was to bang a great dent in it.
    DSC_0058.JPG
    I screwed it to the bench so it wouldn't wriggle about and cut out the bent bit - then I popped off to Demon Tweeks for a 90 mandrel bend which I welded into the gap. It all seemed fine so a coat of paint later and loads of room for the steering I was well pleased.
    A new gasket set and here we go...
    DSC_0060.JPG

Whilst I was there I popped in a new set of plugs. Number 1 was a lovely biscuity colour but No 4 was very sooty. Heres the bit of exhaust removed and Nos 1 &4 plugs.

DSC_0061.JPG

Comment

plugs suggest underlying problem (oil scraper ring on piston gone, valeve stem seal, carb set up, porting?)

Comment

once i have rebuilt the exhaust system in its entirety I will set up the mixture etc. the car has electronic ignition so just a timing check will suffice, then check the valve clearances - love doing that on pintos! - then a gunsons mixture adjustment and all will be well. the engine runs too well for me to suspect ring issues and no blue smoke - well fingers crossed!

Comment

If I am right the fouled plug came from the same bore that had the restricted exhaust????
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Spot on Ben...

Comment

Paint!
              Finally after what seems like years of rubbing and fettling I have begun to paint. Heater on full blast even though the weather is still mild (turn it off when spraying of course!) coat of etch wash 2k followed by polyester filler. Never used the poly before but it goes on well and covers nicely. I use a 2.0 jet for primers and a 1.4 for top coat. Pic shows the ally panels. Second coat of poly should go on today then a bit more rubbing before the top coat tomorrow. Once these panels are done I will start on the grp. I will use 2k waterborne paint for the top coats - again that will be new to me so I will let you know how it goes.

DSC_0081.JPG

Comment

Are you putting some clear (lacquer) coats on at the end?
                Last edited by wiggiesworld; 11-10-17, 09:01 AM.
                2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

No just a solid colour, shouldn't need a clear. Should be good to go straight from the gun or so the manufacturer states.

Comment

Ran out of the poly filler, used 1litre so far.. Reckon the amounts needed are 1litre etch primer, 2 litres primer filler and 2.5 litres top coat for a Berli.

Comment

• Re: Berlinetta doors cracking and splitting - any fixes?

finished the primer layer now, waiting for it to dry off before blocking then put on the nice new top coat.

tubby.jpg

Comment

• New grille and almost finished the paint

Hopefully the final day of paint today. I will then spend a couple of days buffing to get a nice shine although I have to say 2K solid colour does come out nice straight from the gun.
                        Meanwhile I bought a role of Stainless wire mesh to make a nice shiny grille. I have loads left so if anyone wants it? (I have used 1/4 of a square meter but cut it on the bias so the chunk missing means almost 60cm chunk taken out). It cost about £40 for the whole sheet and I reckon there are at least two more grilles to be got out of it. And yes, here's a pic...The new colour is a nice classic Old English White.

grille-Berli.JPG

Comment

• Re: New grille and almost finished the paint

I love the 'old white' colours, we had one of the new Mini's (the Clubvan) in Pepper White as BMW call it.
                          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

• Mini window regulator

Refitting the doors today and everything seemed to go ok - well mostly.
                            The passenger door glass wont stay up - the regulator just allows it to drop - question is - what have I done? It was working fine before I cleaned it! All the springs seem ok - ie not detached or broken?
                            Advice gratefully received!

PS the choice of OEW as the colour was influenced by my missus's new mini - in white!

Comment

• Re: Mini window regulator

The window dropping is surely the springs not doing their job properly? I would take another look and maybe compare it to the one that works.

Comment

• Re: Mini window regulator

Hi Scott, that's what I thought too but there is no difference between the two regulators I can see?????? I was confused because it was stiff in the frame before I took it apart. The only think I can think off is the old window strips were holding it up, now they are new and smooth that no longer is the case. I shall just have to get another one.

Glad I finished painting last week as it about freezing today!

Comment

Working...
                                X