Berlinetta restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mini window regulator

From memory each arm has a coil spring. I wonder if you could wind it up so to speak by turning each one an extra turn?

Comment

Problem solved. I had inadvertently swapped the winding regulator mechanisms from side to side! The springs help raise the window and now that I have swapped them over I see the mechanisms work really well.
      Meanwhile I am unhappy with the repair to the door I made. I reinforced the hinges on both doors but the passenger door is not so good. There is still some minor movement in the metal so I am going to look out for a better door before I strip it and repair again.
      Paint is coming on well, just rubbing out the last of the orange peel to get the shine back, I don't want it too shiny as I don't want that plasticky 2k look.
      The wheels were another thing letting the car down so I have got hold of some multispoke alloys to replace them with. If anyone would like a set of 5 BBS style compomotives in excellent condition (but painted a kind of grey) let me know and I will get my bartering cap out. They currently have a set of unworn 195/60/15s on which I may transfer to the new set, let's see what happens. Will try and get some pics up soon.

Comment

Hi Cameron, would there be any chance of a picture of your top wishbones please they do not look like mine standard cortina, looks as if you have adjustable wishbones. Thinking of getting some adjustable ones made to correct the negative camber on mine so some pictures would be good.
        Thanks

Comment

Yes they are the adjustable ones Very nifty... Here are some pics...

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Comment

Ooo, liking the look of your new wheels, could you say the style and where they are from please?
            2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Thanks for the pics Cameron your car is looking really good enjoying your build thread.

Comment

you are welcome as with anything I do ( and I'm sure others who rebuild these cars will testify) it's never simple. My new alloys arrived today AEZ 15 inch (seen in the pic above) I purchased them as 4x108 but when they arrived they are clearly marked 100!!! Beggars belief that people cant read simple details! I am sending them back on Monday unless someone wants a set of alloys fit for a corsa chav mobile or similar! 2 good tyres! £100?

Meanwhile the passenger door has drooped further - I repaired that one with L angle, the drivers side is rock solid but I uses U channel on that one - guess which one is recommended from now on? So hoping I can find a good passenger door somewhere.

Meanwhile it comes on quite nicely, I want it to be good and reflect the care and attention to detail that was put into the original build and subsequent upgrades.
                Last edited by cameronfurnival; 02-11-17, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Re: Berlinetta doors cracking and splitting - any fixes?

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                  Thanks Mike and yes Scott - I agree there are too many red cars about (saying that almost every car I have ever done I have repainted Red!!!). Wasn't that last car Peter Filby's? Whatever happened to him? Or the car?
                  I just saw this car for sale on Gumtree and remembered this thread, so two years on we have an answer, on the car at least.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/marlin/for...tta/1281326065
                  - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                  - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                  - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                  - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                  - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Tried to put a link to original post but failed for the moment
                    Last edited by b_caswell; 02-01-18, 10:11 PM.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Interesting... priced right? A car which is part of marlin history?

Comment

I've been looking for a 6 powered Berli to buy in Feb so this looks like a contender. Interesting that the interior trim appears to have changed from grey to beige at some time.
                        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

• Re: Berlinetta restoration update

Thought I would post a couple of pics to let you know its still ongoing...
                          Rewire all finished-bar replacing a reverse light bulb. New rear lights look good - but no pic of that end just yet.

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

Comment

Looking great! I often find that although I have been busy it can be a while before there is something worthy of a post to my build diary. Looks like you will make Stoneleigh easily, wish the same was true for me. I will give it my best shot.

Comment

Just pushed car out of garage to let it enjoy some sunshine! And remembered I hadn't taken a pic of the new lights on the rear end..so here it is...

berli-bum.jpg

Comment

• Vinylkote

Today I tried vinylkote.
                                The seats in the Berli are nice enough and dont have any damage - maybe a few pressure marks form storage. However, they were badly faded from exposure to sunlight. The unexposed bits were bright red and the exposed bits orange.
                                The first stage is to disassemble as much as possible. Then you clean with vinylkleen. This is a strong detergent and is diluted 1:4 ish. I applied with an old tea towel and gave the seat a good old scrub, a nail brush might have worked better but it was amazing the grime that came out.
                                thumbnail_DSC_0024.jpg
                                and after
                                thumbnail_DSC_0027.jpg

Then I used the vinylPrep which is some sort of solvent as it leaves the surface tacky. I applied it with a bit of polishing cloth and kept turning it over, the amount of additional muck that came out was amazing.
                                I have spray equipment and so I used that but vinylkote comes in aerosols too. I bought 1 litre of matt charcoal/black and sprayed it at 30psi with a 1.4 jet. Lots of light coats - well about three is the result in this pic. I thinkI may give it another couple as well. I have to say I was doubtful of the claims but am eating my words - it really is an excellent finish.
                                thumbnail_DSC_0029.jpg

thumbnail_DSC_0032.jpg

coloured.jpg

thumbnail_DSC_0030.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X