Ford sierra 2.oi dohc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford sierra 2.oi dohc

My engine has started "hunting" on starting ie speeding up and then slowing down to idle. Then when warmer is cutting out on idle. It restarts readily. Also I have noticed that with this warmer weather it is running hot ... way above 100c. Has anyone some advice please?

Many thanks
    Andrew

Re: Ford sierra 2.oi dohc

Hi Andrew,
    Firstly, lets keep it simple.
    Check for air leaks in the intake systems. Look for collapsed or cracked pipework or any unused outlets that have been capped off were the caps are not sealing properly or have actually fallen off. This will cause the engine to run lean. A lean engine will run much hotter than normal.
    If there are no obvious leaks, go check again!!
    Still no obvious leaks, go check again!!
    Definitely no leaks, it is time to start cleaning things. The Idle speed control valve gets sticky with age and will cause idle issues.

Hope this works!!
    Last edited by jon_cox; 07-05-15, 04:53 PM.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Andrew
      I had similar issues with mine. I replaced both top and bottom radiator hose which had both lost rigidity to the extent that the coolant was not circulating correctly, then flushed the cooling system twice.
      Now runs very nicely and keeps just below 100c even on warm days.
      I was unable to find original hoses, got some Vulcoflex hoses from Car Builder Solutions.
      Regards
      Dave

Comment

Its possibly two problems - as above, idle control and poor circulation - but jon is spot on- these engines are known for intake leaks.

Comment

Following on from Jon's post - apparently there is small rubber pipe that connects to the back of the throttle body that is known to develop pinpricks/cracks

Comment

Spot on! I checked, checked again and as directed checked again. A loose joint was found and repaired problem solved.

Many thanks

Comment

Spot on! I checked, checked again and as directed checked again. A loose joint was found and repaired problem solved.
              Many thanks

Comment

Working...
              X