Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromed 'acorn' wheel nuts for a Roadster

Hi,

I'm having some trouble finding 20 (4x5) of of these to renew my current set which are burred and rusted.

Had a quick look at Stoneleigh but none obvious, does anyone know where I can get a good set?

thanks,

David.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Chromed 'acorn' wheel nuts for a Roadster

David...try...
    MisteR Tee's wheel nut emporium has extensive stocks of wheel nuts & studs, locking nuts, tyre valves & caps, centre caps & spinners.

or
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Usually lots on Ebay and cheap !!!

Comment

Not quite as shiney as chrome but Rimmers and others sell Stainless Nuts. IMHO a better long term investment, esp for a car that can spend half its life in a garage!
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by dbazdavies View Post
          Usually lots on Ebay and cheap !!!
          Not at the moment, and Rimmers and few others are out of stock. Any links would be good.
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi,
            Possibly not a good idea to use stainless nuts on carbon steel wheel studs, google galvanic corrosion.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              Not quite as shiney as chrome but Rimmers and others sell Stainless Nuts. IMHO a better long term investment, esp for a car that can spend half its life in a garage!
              Do not use Stainless nuts for wheel nuts - stainless steel is softer than ferrous steel, and would be dangerous - I doubt you would even be able to find proper wheel nuts in stainless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Do not use Stainless nuts for wheel nuts - stainless steel is softer than ferrous steel, and would be dangerous - I doubt you would even be able to find proper wheel nuts in stainless.
                Depends which stainless steel they use, but Rimmers sell them.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                  Depends which stainless steel they use, but Rimmers sell them.
                  Do you know of any mainstream car manufacturer supplying stainless steel threaded nuts as standard fitment?

BMW supplied a stainless sleeve on some "Jazzed Up" Mini models, but relied on the nut itself still being ferrous steel for safety - and even these have a reputation for the sleeves losing their edges and becoming difficult to remove, as they are soft.

Why take a risk with such a vital component.......?

Comment

Try this http://shop.mwsint.com/product_details.asp?id=722 or Morgan, they fitted them on older type cars with alloy wheels. Morgan are supplied by MWS.

Comment

Thanks Phil. I note these guys have a selection of stainless nuts!

Here are some photo's of my wheel and studs, familiar to a lot of you I guess. I've been talking to several suppliers and they are recommending two solutions.

1) Acorn style nuts as I already have. They centre nicely with the 60 degree bevel sitting in the 60 degree beveled steel insert in the wheel but the stud is a VERY loose fit in the wheel.

2) Sleeved nuts, with the sleeve being the same OD as the ID of the steel insert (9/16") but with a convex washer to fit in the insert, and flat on the nut side. I can see that sleeves will give me better grip on the stud, and the sleeve will centre the wheel to some extent.

Of the options 1) above seems to offer the best positioning of the wheel on the hub but 2) talks to my engineering training in that it offers better stud fitting and the insert hole to stud clearance is minimised so the wheel will have less chance to move.

I have seen some sleeved nuts with the 60 degree bevel on at the waist which seems ideal, as long as the sleeve isn't too long. But I can't find these in 3/8th thread...

What are you guys using?

This was supposed to be a simple purchase!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Do you know, looking at my photo's again, I can't see there's enough thickness in the wheel/inset to use a sleeved nut, what do you think?

Maybe like for like acorn style is the only way forward, unless I can find 3/8th versions of these;

_wsb_459x298_ET-LUGS1a.jpg

David.
                        Last edited by David; 12-05-15, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Hi David,
                          Go to the mistertee website http://www.mistertee.co.uk/6.html and under alloy wheel nuts at the very bottom of the page are 3/8unf nuts with conical washers, is this what you're looking for? called Wolfrace wheel nuts.

Comment

Just a few random thoughts. I am a bit concerned to see 60deg taper. If those are alloy wheels I would expect to see 90deg seats? Also the thickness of the area being bolted looks a bit thin. Also some alloys (BMW?) have sleeved nuts with a flat location. Those counterbores look as though they are designed for that type of nut? Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by phil.coyle View Post
                              Hi David,
                              Go to the mistertee website http://www.mistertee.co.uk/6.html and under alloy wheel nuts at the very bottom of the page are 3/8unf nuts with conical washers, is this what you're looking for? called Wolfrace wheel nuts.
                              Yes, I have a long email thread with Maurice at that web site and the shank on those is wrong OD, the holes in the inserts are 9/16".

Comment

Working...
                              X