Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chromed 'acorn' wheel nuts for a Roadster

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
    Just a few random thoughts. I am a bit concerned to see 60deg taper. If those are alloy wheels I would expect to see 90deg seats? Also the thickness of the area being bolted looks a bit thin. Also some alloys (BMW?) have sleeved nuts with a flat location. Those counterbores look as though they are designed for that type of nut? Peter.
    The existing nuts are seating onto a steel insert with the 60deg taper. Given they've been there since 1987 I think we can say they work!

I agree the amount of wheel material looks minimal, but I have a receipt from the wheel vendor (1987 again!) and they have supplied based on this fitment so again as above, 30 years of use must speak for itself.

I agree re: the counterbores and that is what MisterTee is recommending, shanked nuts to slide into the hole with a bevelled washer to give the nut a flat seat. Th issue with this fitment is that I will probably have to shorten the nuts to avoid them tightening onto the hub before they grip the wheel itself.

I've seen these wheels on a few Marlins so would be very reassuring to see/hear what those owners have done.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi David

Not meaning to highjack this thread but I have the Marlin supplied Cosmics on all Marina running gear, what do the members think I should go with?

Adrian

Comment

Found these on ebay...

Stainless Steel or Chromed Mild Steel
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Well mine have been on since '89 and the pics show the nut is a sleeved one with tapered washer. I don't have a inset in the wheel holes and the nut is nominally 5/8" dia. and 1/2" long.
          with the holes in the wheels being just over 5/8" Your studs don't seem as long as mine are they standard?
          How thick is your wheel flange, it must be more than 1/2"?
          I'm pushing out almost 150 brake and have had no problems.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for that h.m.cumming1, very reassuring...
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
              Found these on ebay...

Stainless Steel or Chromed Mild Steel
              Thanks Andy, those chromed nuts weren't listed earlier. May just go for those although I do like the idea of the flat fitting with taper washer shown here by h.m.cumming1.

Comment

Please call me Hugh

Comment

Originally posted by h.m.cumming1 View Post
                  Please call me Hugh
                  Sorry Hugh, I didn't know who you were!

Comment

Working...
                  X