Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Marina axle wheel brake cylinders...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Marina axle wheel brake cylinders...

Hi all,

Noticed I have a bad offside wheel cylinder but having trouble pin pointing the exact spare to replace it. See attached photo's of the leaky cylinder and the good one on the nearside. This is compounded by Google telling me these are Triumph GT6 wheel/slave cylinders which isn't a surprise if true because the car has a GT6 pedal assembly and carbs etc.

Is it likely the GT6 cylinder made it into the rear wheel drive Dolomite range and Marina/Ital axles? Is it possible these just fit a Marina hub? Confusing, I have a receipt in the build docs box for a Marina 1.3 axle, but who knows if that's the one on the car!

Was also going to replace the drums and shoes each side (the nearside drum is out of round) but hesitating until I'm sure what I have attached to those leaf springs!

David.
    Attached Files
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Rear Marina axle wheel brake cylinders...

I just realised that the toothed wheel on the end of the cylinder is probably part of the adjuster, not the cylinder assembly, and optional, is that correct?
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

The auto adjuster rear brakes were used on some models of Marina aswell as late GT6 and Dolomites. Not exactly optional as the whole cylinder is different to the manual system even the back plate is different. So they would be original Marina with the axle.
      The sprung arm on the hand brake part clicks the ratchet and should adjust the brake.
      You need to specify that the brakes are self adjusting type when ordering the shoes aswell as they are different to the manual adjust shoe.

Are you sure its the wheel cylinder and not the oil seal on the axle haf shaft thats leaking ??
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post

Are you sure its the wheel cylinder and not the oil seal on the axle haf shaft thats leaking ??
        Thanks Ben, good point. The fluid dripping from the drum is thin and clear and the level is dropping slowly in the master cylinder, but no I'm not sure. I should clean it all up and make sure before I start work.

Either way I'll need new shoes on that side and a new drum on the nearside.

Comment

Ive also noticed that where the hand brake lever acts against the shoe there should be a small "H" shape plate that fits into the shoe to take the action of the lever. Thats why the hole is that tapered shape, it will improve the hand brake action.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
            Thanks Ben, good point. The fluid dripping from the drum is thin and clear and the level is dropping slowly in the master cylinder, but no I'm not sure. I should clean it all up and make sure before I start work.

Either way I'll need new shoes on that side and a new drum on the nearside.
            Use your mk1 nose! Brake fluid smells totally different to rear axle oil. Peter.

Comment

I have never found a Marina brake auto adjuster that works correctly six months after full maintenance.
              The mechanism is very prone to brake dust and road grime, especially if there is a slight oil leak.

Many parts crossed over from Marina to Triumph, unfortunately though some parts are identical, the numbering system is not always.

Lots of information in my archive. Rear axle general info, Rear axle workshop manual, Brakes workshop manual, Rear axle parts list, Rear brakes parts list, Rear axle, Braking system, Supplement.

Hope this lot is of help.
              Last edited by stevejgreen; 12-05-15, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                Use your mk1 nose! Brake fluid smells totally different to rear axle oil. Peter.
                true - and I'm reminded of the time when as a young man having just serviced a mini I noticed a pool of fluid by the rear tyre - dreading the idea of having to do brake cylinders I used my nose - only to find it was jack russel wee.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                  true - and I'm reminded of the time when as a young man having just serviced a mini I noticed a pool of fluid by the rear tyre - dreading the idea of having to do brake cylinders I used my nose - only to find it was jack russel wee.
                  That made me smile...

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post

Good point, I was tempted to taste it but managed to stop myself...

Of course if it is the bearing/seal then I'm off to find a local shop, don't fancy replacing a wheel bearing in cramped garage!

Comment

So I can't find a supplier of the rear (Marina) brake shoes of the auto adjusting type. Earlparts say they have never supplied them, they have however supplied two new shiny drums and have the auto-adjuster wheel cylinders in stock.

So rather than have to source and then change the back plate on each side, so that I can use regular shoes, I'm considering relining the current ones. Cost in the end works out about the same if I can't be bothered to do exchange items.

Any last suggestions for suppliers? If not that's the plan.
                      Last edited by David; 15-05-15, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Rimmers or Canley Classics - Dolomite 1850 & some GT6 came with auto-adjusters (as did a fair few Triumphs).
                        These on eBay look like the ones you need (usual caveats apply!).
                        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

The GT6 used a narrower shoe not sure about the 18/50 although its possible some smaller dolomites used the same wider type shoe but cant confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                            Rimmers or Canley Classics - Dolomite 1850 & some GT6 came with auto-adjusters (as did a fair few Triumphs).
                            According to a hand written note in my parts book, GBS 746 fit a Marina and Dolomite 1500/1850

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                              Thanks. Just called the guy. He doesn't think they are the same, citing width (re: Ben's comment), but asked me to call back in an hour when he'll be where the reference books are to check the part numbers for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X