Soft Top Waterproofing ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Top Waterproofing ??

Never had a car with a soft top before so not sure about treatment. I have put numerous coats of Canvas Dye on and it looks 0-k now but should I spray it with water proofer or paint some on ??. Must be some of you who know, thanks.

Re: Soft Top Waterproofing ??

I personally use the renovo range which includes cleaners, dyes and waterproofing solutions. Follow the instructions and results can be superb.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jonathanjeades;33912]I personally use the renovo range which includes cleaners, dyes and waterproofing solutions. Follow the instructions and results can be superb.[/Q

Thanks for that I'll check it out, just want to make sure it's waterproof at the mo though as I have already dyed it. Cheers for the advice.

Comment

I use tent waterproofer from Halford - lot cheaper than car specific sray and has worked perfectly

Comment

Originally posted by Alan.c View Post
          I use tent waterproofer from Halford - lot cheaper than car specific sray and has worked perfectly
          I could agree really you often just pay through the nose for the name eh !. mind you I did check out that Renovo stuff and there is some priced quite reasonable on E-Bay. I am going to compare prices for different types, thanks for the input, appreciated.

Comment

I used expensive stuff way back but it didn't last very long. Then I saw an article in a 1937 Practical Motorist (I was catching up on some reading) and there was an article on this topic. They recommended a mixture of linseed oil and black shoe polish. I made some up and it works fine. It keeps it watertight and re-colours the material.
            Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin, Leicester View Post
              I used expensive stuff way back but it didn't last very long. Then I saw an article in a 1937 Practical Motorist (I was catching up on some reading) and there was an article on this topic. They recommended a mixture of linseed oil and black shoe polish. I made some up and it works fine. It keeps it watertight and re-colours the material.
              Sounds good, what ratio oil to polish?

Comment

I wonder if any of the NikWax products can help.

Comment

I did it about 10 years ago so can't remember exactly what the amounts were. I think I put about a teaspoonful of black shoe polish in a baked bean tin and warmed it gently on the kitchen cooker. I then filled the tin about half full with linseed oil and stirred till well mixed. I tested some on a piece of white cloth then added a bit more black polish for luck. When it had cooled I painted it on the hood and tonneau cover. It took about a day to dry. It made the hood look new again and sealed some leaks over my head in the stitching. I used the rest about 4 years ago so now you've reminded me I ought to do it again. Beware! I got a bollocking for stinking the kitchen out and the garage smelt of cricket bats for a while but I didn't mind that. Give it a go and let us know how you got on.
                  Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Renovo works well and is very easy to use .dries quickly with no streaks and repels water well.

Comment

^ Ok, boiled or raw linseed or doesn't it matter?

Comment

I've used Renovo before but I fancy a go with the oil and bootpolish just for the DIY feel of it. Need to wait til the summer arrives

Comment

Originally posted by trevorford View Post
                          I've used Renovo before but I fancy a go with the oil and bootpolish just for the DIY feel of it. Need to wait til the summer arrives
                          Sorry for the delay, just catching up. Mine says boiled linseed oil but I didn't know there were 2 types.
                          Franklin.
                          Franklin, Leicester

Comment

think boiled dries quicker!

Comment

Ok reviving this topic and my Berly hood, just prepd the linseed oil / black polish mixture, 10% polish to oil seems to give a good colour/cover!
                              As an aside, boiled linseed oil is not infact boiled but it has terebine added- a drying agent. I just used raw oil.
                              Have just given the treatment, so far looking good, I used a cheap 2.5" brush to apply the oil mix, used just short of 1/2 litre of the mix, hopefully get some pics later today and post 'em!
                              Last edited by Tony Stott; 29-08-16, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X