Superflex Polyeurethane bushes for a Marina Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superflex Polyeurethane bushes for a Marina Roadster

Recently discussions about Roadster handling have prompted me to revisit the Superflex site.

The most commonly needed are from here
    Not every bush listed is appropriate to a Marina based Roadster

SF234-0669K 21H5415 Front Tie Bar 12mm ID Bush Kit

SF234-1865KSS 21H5158 Front Eye Bolt Kit
    These are for where the Lower arm meets the chassis. A complete strip down of the suspension is needed, but if you are doing Tie Rods and Shocks, you are more than half way there.

NOTE: The Superflex shock absorber bushes listed for the front of a Marina are not appropriate for a Roadster as they do not use either the Marina Lever Arm or the Ital Front shock system.
    In theory,the Herald Rear shock absorber bushes
    SF375-0718-80A-4KRear Shock Absorber Kit, non Rotoflex should fit when used on the front of a Roadster But check before you buy.

SF234-0293KSS 21H5722 Front of Rear Leaf Spring Kit
    The front and rear of the leaf springs use the same bushes,

SF234-2211-24-4K 21H5233 Rear Leaf Spring Rear Shackle Bush Kit

SF234-1979K 21H5713 Rear Leaf Spring Saddle Pad Kit Price

SF374-0941K 21H5769 / 21H5769 Rack Mount Kit, Manual Steering for a Mk 1 Marina

SF234-0394K 21H6799 / 21H6800Rack Mount Kit, Manual Steering for a Mk 2 Marina

Check the bore of your existing bushes before ordering.

When fitting new bushes, always replace both sides at the same time. In theory Superflex supply with this in mind, so check quantities before you get carried away with your order.

Please excuse any typos or errors.

For Triumph based cars, look here or there

Last edited by stevejgreen; 12-06-17, 09:21 AM.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Re: Superflex Polyeurethane bushes for a Marina Roadster

Very informative, I have added the site to my favourites for future reference, thanks for taking the time for posting the info.

Comment

Originally posted by old-n-notpastityet View Post
      Very informative, I have added the site to my favourites for future reference, thanks for taking the time for posting the info.
      +1 Good work.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

New advert for Marina cars. Not all will apply to a Marlin Roadster.

Superflex Marina.jpg
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Thanks for this guys,
          As a reward I have written you all in to my will and will be leaving you all my Bills

Darth Vader
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by darth vader View Post
            Thanks for this guys,
            As a reward I have written you all in to my will and will be leaving you all my Bills

Darth Vader
            Mike
            Suddenly my advice and knowledge comes at a cost to you. For everyone else, it's free!
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I'm getting a bump vibration sound that comes from the front suspension area and it sounds as though it is being transferred into a panel or maybe the floor as it definitely has the sonorous knock of a large metal sheet absorbing the bump noise. I wonder whether it might be coming from here (see attached pic - don't know how this will work since Photobucket has gone down the pan..)

If it is - then it makes sense as the torsion bar is taking the vibration up to the footwell box..
              I don't know what this part is called. Do Superflex do a poly bush kit for it?

Many thanks for your advice
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by element View Post
                I'm getting a bump vibration sound that comes from the front suspension area and it sounds as though it is being transferred into a panel or maybe the floor as it definitely has the sonorous knock of a large metal sheet absorbing the bump noise. I wonder whether it might be coming from here (see attached pic - don't know how this will work since Photobucket has gone down the pan..)

If it is - then it makes sense as the torsion bar is taking the vibration up to the footwell box..
                I don't know what this part is called. Do Superflex do a poly bush kit for it?

Many thanks for your advice
                Thats the front eyebolt bush. They don't generally fail as they are hidden from the worst of the UV rays.
                I wpold check the other end of the torsion bar where it attaches to the chassis.
                Nothing will be list however from changing them anyway, you will have to release the torsion bar to do so!
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Have you actually inspected it to see if it has play? If it does its the front eye bolt kit that you need.
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

A note about Superflex. I ordered the bushings for the tie rods online and there was a very expensive shipping charge but I needed them so i placed the order ,The next day I got an email informing me that they had issued a credit for most of the shipping and basically charged me their postage cost .This was without me mentioning the cost -Great company!

Comment

Originally posted by michael47 View Post
                      A note about Superflex. I ordered the bushings for the tie rods online and there was a very expensive shipping charge but I needed them so i placed the order ,The next day I got an email informing me that they had issued a credit for most of the shipping and basically charged me their postage cost .This was without me mentioning the cost -Great company!
                      Did you only order the tie rod bushes? For the extra work, and the cost of replacing the eyebolt bush and the shock absorber bushes its worthwhile.
                      i would always suggest talking to or emailing suppliers from abroad.

In some circumstances, foreign visitors to the UK can claim back the VAT paid in the UK but that's only really applicable if you carry the goods onto the plane and make a declaration at your customs on landing. Worth investigating. They may of course apply a local tax that may be higher.

I have just ordered some parts from the US for my Can-Am Spyder for delivery to spain. They have been stuck in Madrid Customs for 36 days so far, about $500 USD. not good news.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Yes only the tie rod bushes ,it is a short driving season so I wanted to tackle somthing that I was sure I could do and could do in a couple of hours this winter .I will I will get up the nerve to try the rest of the front end. Hopfully a photo of the old bushings is with this
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow! The bushes should be equally sized, no wonder you had problems.
                          The tie bar bushes are more exposed to the elements and the UV from the sun does not do them any favours. The later materials are far more resilient to that sort of degradation.

The ends of the tie rods, hidden by the bushes can rattle around in the chassis mounting hole resulting in wear of both the rod and the hole. If you have access to a welder, the rods and the hole can be built up and then machined back to their proper size.

The front eyebolt bushes will require a large vice or a hydraulic press to insert them, they can only really be fitted off the car. Plenty of lubrication as provided will help a great deal.
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Yes both sides were worn the same way .The differance with the new ones is fantasic ,I thought the car handle well before but now it is so much better.The ends of the tie rods and the holes seem fine I think it was 20 years of our very bright sunshine that did them in .The car seem s to have only done about 20000 miles since being built.I picked up a press in a garage sale recently and look foreward to redoing the rest of the front end this coming winter Aside from the bushes on the eyebolt and shocks what else should I be looking at to be replaced while I am doing those bushes
                            Thanks for all the help,learing to do the work at 70 can be a bit daunting and it is appreciated
                            Last edited by michael47; 24-08-17, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Those failed rubbers don't look like the correct material to me. Even standard O/E bushes are usually black in colour. They are more like the stuff used as override bump rubbers in the centre of my old Sierra rear springs. Those disintegrated similarly after many years of use and even when new wouldn't have been firm enough material to use for tie rods. I wonder if someone has fitted yours in the past just because they looked the right size, rather that the correct part!? Peter.

Comment

Working...
                              X